Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 141 total)
  • Petty environmental crimes – whats yours?
  • tjagain

Just for a bit of fun

i am not meaning those major things like multiple flights a year, having pets, driving big 4x4s to take the kids to school.  I mean the little things you know you could stop and save a bit of pollution but just don’t want to

MIne:

I have a huge bath, use it most days and fill it up to the overflow with really hot water.  I just love it.  A shower ( and I have a really good one) probably gets you cleaner and uses less water and energy but I just love my big deep baths!

I also seem to find it hard to remember to turn lights off. All LED bulbs so low energy but I keep on finding every light in the house on

so go on – whats yours?  the more petty the better 🙂

Houns

Drive to work, because I’m so lazy I want the extra 30 mins in bed. Hate it, even typing it makes me feel like a ****

willard

I leave my computer screen on and let the in-built power saving function save the power.

My girlfriend is terrible for leaving lights on at night.

jambourgie
    Free Member

My main love/hobby is music production. So I have a kind of mini studio. All the gear is left on 24/7 because 1; I don’t have to go round saving settings. And 2; So I can just quickly get going when inspired.

No idea how evil that makes me. But I’m pretty good everywhere else.

Keva
    Free Member

besides having a 17yr old cat which just must be awful for the environment, I have a bad habit of leaving the fridge door open whilst cooking as I keep nipping in there to get stuff and put stuff back.

Dickyboy

Overfilling the kettle, having to make do with the chalky sediment to brim a cup of tea fills me with horror.

TJ you are my 20yo daughter & I claim my £5 🤣

nickc

Drive to work

Did this this morning because; reasons. It was a bit too cold, a bit too rainy, and I just couldn’t be arsed after riding all week and a HIIT session last night.

TheBrick
    Free Member

leaving computers on stand by / waiting for power save as I hate starting up 20,000 windows to the right place again in the morning.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I sometimes deactivate the stop/stop on my car because it’s bloody annoying when the engine is cold, it makes the whole car shake.

I bought a £4k MTB on a R2W scheme which saved me a fortune, I’ve ridden it to work maybe 3 times in as many years.

When the company I worked for went bust, I didn’t tell the liquidators about the bike it cost me less than £300. I’ve still got it, it’s lovely, it’s not really an environmental crime, but it’s linked to the above.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Existing.

grum
    Free Member

Shaving my balls with an electric manscaping tool so I can look pre-pubescent.

gauss1777
    Free Member

Methane production?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

750-1000kg CO2e there TJ 7-10% of a household footprint (but half that to account for a “normal” bath)

Big oil heated stone farmhouse here, not even going to go near calculating that!

tjagain

Gum – indeed – you should be using a cutthroat razer

Mister-P
    Free Member

besides having a 17yr old cat which just must be awful for the environment

What’s the cat doing? Burning tyres on National Trust property?

frankconway

Grum & tj – plucking has no environmental impact; if you don’t fancy that, singeing.

Keva
    Free Member

@Mister-P

Just for a bit of fun

i am not meaning those major things like multiple flights a year, having pets, driving big 4x4s to take the kids to school.

tjagain

*crosses legs*

Smudger666

Using waaaay more sheets of bogroll than i need to. Being told three sheets is enough by a controlling arsehole of a parent (see what I did there) clearly scarred me, and i’m rebelling!

13thfloormonk

Litter picking but then not separating it into recycling at the end. Screw it, the litter picking was good deed enough and I’m not fishing around in amongst the dog-poo bags in order to fish out all the Strongbow cans.

toby1

Music on in my kitchen all day pretty much everyday, I work upstairs, but I like some background noise in the house when I’m on calls.

I own 2 cars, I really don’t need 2 cars, the second one is just for convenience!

BillMC

Following advice I’ve left my valve hi-fi on since I bought it and recently read it might not be necessary.

Yak

Falling asleep in front of the tv. Kids go to bed and I think, great, time to watch episode 5000 of scandiwhatever drama. Immediately fall asleep and wake up 2 hrs later. Lights on, tv on. Pointless.

duncancallum

I’ve an Aga

dc1988

I turn off the stoo/start function on my car, I find it ok if I know the wait will be long enough but I tend to go handbrake/neutral even for a brief stop and think it can’t help the battery (maybe I’m prolonging the life of the battery which is better overall??)

thepurist

Falling asleep in front of the tv. Kids go to bed and I think, great, time to watch episode 5000 of scandiwhatever drama. Immediately fall asleep and wake up 2 hrs later. Lights on, tv on. Pointless.

Pointless finishes at 6pm, so are the kids in bed at 4?

ac282

Driving for over an hour each way to ride my bike in circles.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

My paintings are acrylics which is basically plastic.

Single use zip ties to hold my life together.

Onzadog
    Free Member

At least today I have learned that our dog is a major environmental crime.

I shall advise the wife to stop posting photos of her on social media do the EPA don’t hunt us down.

In defense, the dog doesn’t take a giant over flowing hot bath on a daily basis.

mogrim

Grum & tj – plucking has no environmental impact; if you don’t fancy that, singeing.

Singeing requires a heat source, and even the most efficient blowtorch uses gas.

Mine’s picking up my dog’s poo in those flimsy plastic bags. Be a lot more environmentally friendly just to leave it on the ground.

labsey
    Free Member

Do the goldfish count as an environmental crime?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I ride an ebike, for fun.

jimmy

I get annoyed when I make the tea and there’s a cup full of boiled water left in the kttle. Even more so, when MsJimmy makes the tea and it’s over half full afterwards.

BUT…. new kettle last week and it’s got a 1,2 and 3 cup measurement INSIDE the kettle. No excuses now – HA

tjagain

Goldfish?  Hmmmmm – petty I would say – minimal amounts of food and extra energy consumption

so do we need a sliding scale for pets?  goldfish – forgivable.  half a dozen german shepherds – you planet murderer you

Where do we put stick insects?

😉

neilco
    Free Member

Big 4×4. Works with lifestyle but wouldn’t buy the same thing again if I was in the market for a new car. Problem is, the most environmentally friendly car is the one you already have and this one’s got another few 100k in it.

sirromj

Keep quiet when the boss at work puts bags for life straight in the bin – the good ones too.

gobuchul
    Free Member

I have a huge bath, use it most days and fill it up to the overflow with really hot water. I just love it. A shower ( and I have a really good one) probably gets you cleaner and uses less water and energy but I just love my big deep baths!

From the man who slags off people for using dishwashers!

reeksy

I wash my bikes and cards and motorbikes with a truck cleaner on the gravel outside my shed.

Not a shocker, but it’s at the top of the hill that leads to a protected rainforest creek.

Not sure what else I can do really. Even biodegradable soaps can’t be great.

The other thing is wearing a disposable mask every day at work.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Oh ****.

I’m going to be TJ when I’m older.

hot_fiat

Mine’s mainly recycling related:

Not sorting plastics into thermoplastics and thermosets before they go in the recycling.

Occasionally chucking large car parts in the recycling bin. Chucked a crankshaft in there once. it went CLANG! as the bin emptied into the truck. Brother in law quietly disposed of an old Punto shell that way over a series of weeks.

I’ve also been known to shred our recycling in the garden shredder around Christmas to squeeze it all in.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 141 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.