Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Petrol/diesel
  • trout
    Free Member

Just listening to J Vine about fuel prices .

it got me wondering what is the future going to be
    when will it run out .

and are we facing a mad max scenario

chojin
    Free Member

We don’t just rely on oil for fuel, it is also an essential ingrediant in the manufacture of plastic! Can you imagine a future with no plastic??

dropoff

My missus has always said the future is more Mad Max than Star Trek 🙂

aP
    Free Member

Dystopia rather than Utopia, eh?

uplink
    Free Member

it got me wondering what is the future going to be
    when will it run out .

“To infinity … and beyond!”

TheBrick
    Free Member

people get worried about oil production because it effect them running around in their cars when really putting oil in your car to burn is at the bottom of the list when it comes to important use of oil.

mrmo
    Free Member

use of oil, fertilizer, plastic, fuel. Now imagine a world without them and tell me it is a good place to be. The lack of petrol and diesel is the minor inconvenience, try no fertilizer with the current world population.

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

Lots of bad stuff will happen, more oil wars and starving people. Sad but probably true.
    If governments round the world pull their collective right-wing fingers out and do more about clean alternatives and energy saving right now, much could be averted.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Not much.

We’ll transition to vegetable-based products. The UK has sufficient farmland to power our reserves just fine.

It’s a fact that there’s still lots of money to be made out of oil which has precluded the transition just yet.

War will be waged over water.

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

“The UK has sufficient farmland to power our reserves just fine.
    Where did you get that then Mikertroid? – It’s definitely a long way from my understanding. We need our farmalnd to feed 70M people, not cars.

bigjim

I can see it now… Embittered urban 4×4 owners (“I need it to take the kids to school if it snows”/”I want the neighbours to see how much money we have”) will roam the wilds of Surrey fighting to the death over the last dregs of liquid gold (not the poppers) in their mad-maxed X5’s, selling their bodily organs to pay to keep them running…

Interesting how everyone always thinks of their cars fuel as the first thing to worry about though – did the program touch on all the other things made from oil like chemicals for drugs etc? I can’t actually stand listening to jeremy vine so can’t find out myself!

soobalias
    Free Member

no point in eating if i cant drive.

qwerty
    Free Member

you don’t need perol/diesel fuels, in London they’ve already used hydrogen to power bendy buses

uplink
    Free Member

When will it run out then?

I’m 52 now so as long as it lasts another – say – 25 years, we should be OK

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

“they’ve already used hydrogen to power bendy buses
    Just tell us all where they get their Hydrogen then! 😯

richmtb

When will it run out then?

I’m 52 now so as long as it lasts another – say – 25 years, we should be OK

Brilliant, I actually believe this is official US policy

Mikeypies
    Free Member

Plastic

Well we managed for a few years before so why not afterwards? big change though

trout
    Free Member

We made plastic in school from milk IIRC 40 years ago
    so maybe these battery cow plants will come in handy after all

foxyrider
    Free Member

Maybe I’ll see more people cycling? And car drivers may eventually be more curtious or actually think!

epicyclo

There’s plenty coal, plenty nuclear.

It’ll be a cyclists paradise if it isn’t spoiled by electric cars 🙂

bigjim

We made plastic in school from milk IIRC 40 years ago
    so maybe these battery cow plants will come in handy after all

Oh my god troutie the forum will implode with comments like that.

I’m looking forward to everything being made from Shellac again.

benz
    Free Member

Secure nuclear to generate all our electricity. Waste…big challenge.

Get serious about encouraging some countries to try and start reducing their consumption – price can definately be an effective way of doing this – if said price is actually market price. However only means what we have will last a bit longer…. How much is there really left in the middle east?

Serious investment in real alternatives….but so long as relatively cheap for consumers and profitable for producers don’t see how this cycle can be broken.

bigjim

Nuclear has advantages, but huge disadvantages, the real cost if you include waste disposal and management and plant decommission puts it waaay more expensive than anything else – Dounreay alone is something like £3 – 4 billion of YOUR tax money just to decommission – that’ll keep rising through our lifetimes and beyond, and thats just one building.

Reduce energy consumption, microrenewables, offshore wind, that the future, maaan.

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

I’m not sure how much of a cyclists’ paradise it will be, Epicyclo, cycling round on bare rims (until they wear out) – or do tyres not come from oil after all?

epicyclo

Orange Crush – Member
    I’m not sure how much of a cyclists’ paradise it will be, Epicyclo, cycling round on bare rims (until they wear out) – or do tyres not come from oil after all?

I’m old enough to remember rubber tyres 🙂

Did you know you can make your own tyres from scratch with rubber? I’ve got some ancient (1890s) articles on how to do just that, so I’m ready for the apocalypse 💡

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

I do actually remember real rubber tyres but we still have to get the rubber here from the far east – return of the sailing clipper?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

There’s huge reserves of plastic buried in old landfill all around the country.

When are the mines of old rubbish dumps going to be opened to retrieve the precious plastic?

5lab

I don’t think oil will run out, per se, it’ll just become more expensive than the alternitives, so they will be ditched for it. For instance once it costs £20/liter to drill it, it won’t be very popular. Cars look like one of the first things that’ll move over.

I think its good. Human innovation is driven my necessity.

Rio

Cars are one thing and we have some solutions, but has anyone seen any electric aeroplanes yet?

There’s huge reserves of plastic buried in old landfill all around the country

And lots of other useful things, which is why the current plans to burn a lot of it are not a good idea IMHO!

Trekster

offshore wind

Seen the recent figures for wind farm production?
    During our recent winter and earlier last year there was little or insufficient wind to make enough `tricity. Then when we do have enough wind it can be too strong and wreck the turbines, again they have to be switched off.
    If we have no fuels how are wind turbines going to be made? There is already a downturn in production due to manufacturing/transport costs etc.
    Another problem looming it` s ugly head is the deforestation of our lands to accommodate such wind farms. Speaking to a friend who works in forestry who was at a recent conference in London on this very issue the “industry” is very concerned. When all the land was put out to tender/sale there were no conditions re replanting attached 🙄 👿

Bring on wave power 😆
    We will be back to horse `n cart shortly, if you can afford vet bills that is 😥

btw I work for a company that amongst other things makes food packaging and film to be used in electrical goods inc solar panels. No oil, gas or elect means rotten food and no consumables 😥

jambon
    Free Member

Does anyone seriously think about their home electricity prices these days? As a kid I was always chastised for not turning lights off. All my houshold lecky comes from the sun or a petrol generator if it’s dull for an extended period. When I visit houses on the mains I’m amazed by how many appliances are left on standby. I really don’t think anyone cares though – pay the monthly bill and forget.

bigjim

I dont know where to start with this one!

Seen the recent figures for wind farm production?

Yes, what about them?

During our recent winter and earlier last year there was little or insufficient wind to make enough `tricity.

Care to expand on this with some statistics and a source? Enough electricity for what anyway? No one has ever suggested that we currently have enough capacity to get by off wind alone.

Then when we do have enough wind it can be too strong and wreck the turbines, again they have to be switched off.

Statistics for how often this happens plz, and please look at how wind turbines are designed to accomodate severe winds.

If we have no fuels how are wind turbines going to be made? There is already a downturn in production due to manufacturing/transport costs etc.

Source for downturn in production please? By the time we run out of fossil fuel I would expect a fairly decent source of energy is found to replace, eg, wind, hehe. Look at how many aluminium smelters source their huge energy needs for example.

Another problem looming it` s ugly head is the deforestation of our lands to accommodate such wind farms.

Cite an example? Look at how they are actually placed in forested areas and what kind of forest tey are placed in.

Speaking to a friend who works in forestry who was at a recent conference in London on this very issue the “industry” is very concerned. When all the land was put out to tender/sale there were no conditions re replanting attached

Which industry is concerned? Forestry commission have recently offered up a vast amount of their land to wind developers so they are probably quite happy with the way that is going for them, as are the wind developers? Sure there are potential issues and I am in no way an onshore wind fanboy, but there is a planning process that is pretty good at ensuring sensible placement of developments.

Bring on wave power

Yes wave power is great, however it is not wihtout some pretty significant potential impacts, have a google. Also it will be a lot more expensive than wind for quite a while. Tidal is my personal fave, but again, not without significant complicatins.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Hydrogen is definitely one way forward for sure.

Synthetic fuels will be developed when it becomes financially viable. At the moment oil = money = political power and so on…

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Petrol/diesel’ is closed to new replies.