Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 171 total)
  • Petrol Prices
  • ooOOoo
    Free Member

£70 to fill up a car and move 1.5 tons 100s of miles at 80mph with no physical effort?? Absolute bargain 😉

maxray
    Free Member

Now that diesel is nudging 1.30 a litre I have decided I need to cycle or train itin to work despite it being 23miles away.

We are lucky in that we live within walking distance of enough shops to get anything we need plus 10 mins on a bus from a major city center. This means with a bit of effort we only “need” the car to go on visits to inlaws in Wales etc.

uplink
    Free Member

So even though the price of oil is still way off its highs in dollar terms it isn’t in pound terms.

June 2008 US$/UKP FX ~1.98

June 2008 oil @ ~£74/barrel
    Jan 2011 oil @ ~£58/barrel

if my [crap] maths are correct it’s still over 20% cheaper in £ than it was in mid 2008

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Fuel remains far too cheap. Private motoring is subsidised by the general taxpayer. Total costs of motoring are far greater than the money spent on roads

All those who complain# about their ridiculous commutes – that is a matter of choices that you have made.

Fuel will become more and more expensive as it runs out. Get used to it

Public transport is actually usually much cheaper than the real cost of using a car. To vist my parets by bus and train costs under 20 is I use the bike for some sections cost £10

Its 90 miles which would be at least £25 in a car.

sobriety
    Free Member

Its 90 miles which would be at least £25 in a car.

Can you break that down for me please.

Peyote
    Free Member

Poor people have to get to work too peyote.

I agree. I’ve yet to find an example where they didn’t have a choice of mode and/or origin though. Not going to pretend it’s an easy choice, but whenever people say they “need” a car. They often (not always, before the usual replies ensue!) only need it because they perceive it to be the better choice to maintain their current standard of living.

convert

For the last half century or so it has become a percieved right to:-

1.Have the job you want where you want it
    2.Live where you want

The use of the car has made it possible to choose to live and work in significantly different locations. The relatively cheap cost of motoring has made this economically viable for a large proportion of the population with only the very poorest being forced to take jobs that they can reach by foot/public transport. This a situation our great grandfather’s would never have dreamt of. Curiously we have all got quite time poor in the process.

I sense we are about to begin a sea change in population work habits. Families will have to start to make tough choices. If your partner has a good job close to your home you may have to choose to take a job you would not choose otherwise (different skills, too low pay, backwards career step) so that you can work locally. Alternatively you may have to uproot the family to move closer to your job if you can’t get one at a more appropriate distance.

To say you have no choice but to commute great distances is bollox but it may mean making compromises that YOU don’t want to make or you consider beneath you. You don’t HAVE to live in a rural location and do a suburban or city based job; there are always low paid jobs closer to home (working in the local corner shop?). Home working can be an option. You don’t have to have the size of house you currently have and need the high income you get from the far flung job to afford.

If in 50 years society has regigged itself so more people are living and working in the same location with an improved sense of comunity spirit that comes with that I don’t think it will have all been a bad thing.

aP
    Free Member

I have a car, I’ll freely admit that I don’t need to own one though. Last year I managed to go from 15 May to 25 August on one tank of diesel.
    I work with (and have people that work for me) who drive shorter distances than I cycle in to work, and complain about how much it costs and look completely outraged when I suggest that they might want to try cycling instead.

miketually
    Free Member

I have 17-year-old students who drive less than 2 miles to college. While they continue to do that, I’ll continue to think petrol’s too cheap.

mrmo
    Free Member

June 2008 US$/UKP FX ~1.98

June 2008 oil @ ~£74/barrel
    Jan 2011 oil @ ~£58/barrel

if my [crap] maths are correct it’s still over 20% cheaper in £ than it was in mid 2008

and duty and VAT makes most of the difference, hence the price is the almost the same. Now console yourself to the fact that oil will probably get back to c£74/barrel in the not to distant future. So that’ll be 25p on top of the price you pay now.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You think we do big commutes?

Look over the pond, ammericans spend the same on fuel for cars as us, but:

do less mpg (typicaly half what we get)
    commute further (typicaly twice as far)
    pay less (about 1/4 our prices)

Which gives the interesting impression that we’ve reached some kind of level where we refuse to pay any more for petrol and adjust our long term habits to compensate.

So you could double the price of fuel, and given time peoples expendature would level out at current levels again, but with a greater proportion of the cost as tax, and less miles driven (or higher mpg).

mrmo
    Free Member

I can’t remember the program but there was something on BBC4 last night and it was talking about motorways, one comment was most of the population of warrington commutes, that there are villages in the UK where no one works they all commute. where food miles have ramped up, where people drive to shops many miles away.

This is the situation we have allowed to happen over the last few decades, cheap fuel and motorways have meant commuting is a viable option for a lot of people. Sit down look at what you earn and what you pay for your commute, how much of a paycut could you take and be better off.

mrmo
    Free Member

TJ in an ideal world public transport would be an option. In the real world, it is full of people who use public transport! Something that needs to change, normal people need to feel that getting mugged etc won’t happen. time tables are often crap, the perceived price is high. I put £20 Diesel in the car to go for a drive when i want to where i won’t to go, i have to pay £5 for a bus ticket which doesn’t go from where i live to where i want to go. If the costs of cars were transferred to the point of use rather than fixed overheads i do think it would be progress. No insurance, no VED, just put it all on the price of fuel.

I’ll carry on riding where i can, and car for the rest of the time.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

sobriety – Member

“Its 90 miles which would be at least £25 in a car”.

Can you break that down for me please.

Pertol, tax, servicing, depreciation. etc etc etc. P{eople dont realise how much their cvar actually cost them

http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/advice/advice_rcosts_petrol_table.jsp

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

mrmo – you see I live in the real world and actually use public transport so I actually know what its like.

Fast frequent cheap reliable comfortable

sobriety
    Free Member

That’s a table, not a breakdown of your personal costs. I’d just like to see how you actually worked it out, as I reckon my car is probably cheaper 😉 and depreciation is only a problem if you intend to sell the car, rather than just running it into the ground.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Using public transport, using a sensibly sized car, using the inside lane…..yeah there’s quite a few things many motorists feel are beneath them

ziggy
    Free Member

Depends on where you live, we get a train every hour and 4 buses a day, that’s it really. I tried using the train on a few occasions only to be told it’s full so I have to wait another hour!

Fuel is still cheap though without question.

clubber
    Free Member

sobriety – Member
    depreciation is only a problem if you intend to sell the car, rather than just running it into the ground.

No – since you had to buy that car in the first place – depreciation is the cost of buying it spread over the remaining life of it.

Anyway, TJ’s assertion that public transport is “Fast frequent cheap reliable comfortable” is just silly. It is in some places, it’s not in many others. There are many reasons why (underinvestment in rail infrastructure being a goodie…) but that doesn’t change the fact now.

Oh, petrol is too cheap IMO but I’ll also admit that the problem is getting people to make the jump to public transport is difficult because right now it’s so awful in many places and people aren’t yet ready en-masse to take up cycling. When it does hit critical mass then the volume will help improve it. It’s the transition that’s going to be difficult for people.

stumpy01

All those who complain# about their ridiculous commutes – that is a matter of choices that you have made.

I didn’t choose to get redundant from my previous job and then spend 6 months looking for an alternative. Ideally I would have taken a job much closer to home, but couldn’t find one.
    Sure I could have probably got one in a meat packing plant or cleaning toilets but that kinda defeats the point of doing a degree and gaining 10 years experience in a particular industry.
    If I decided that I should ‘weather the storm’ and get a job closer to home, then I believe that this would disadvantage me when trying to get back into the work I want to do.

Visiting your parents by public transport is a bit different from having to do the 9-5 by public transport.

I have looked into public transport to work and it would take me over 2.5hrs per day to get to work and 2hrs 50 mins at least to get home.
    My drive takes about 1hr 15 mins.

EDIT – oh and on a thread a while back I worked out that my car costs me about 18p/mile (because of the amount of miles I do). So 90 miles costs me about £16.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

sobriety – thats a well researched table of the costs of a car as done my a motoring group. I think its about as objective as you are likely to get. You might get down to 20p a mile using bangernomics. Still cheaper to get the train – and you can read the paper, drink coffee, look out of the window and daydream from a train

Depreciation is always a cost – even if you run the car into the ground you still pay depreciation – buy it for £1000 and sell it for nothing a few years lather – £1000 that it has cost you

uplink
    Free Member

Its 90 miles which would be at least £25 in a car

Unless of course you have a car allowance or company car, as 10’s of thousands do, then it’s nowhere near those figures

old cars that – effectively – don’t depreciate are much cheaper than that too

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

TJ

Fast frequent cheap reliable comfortable may be true in Edinburgh, not so much round here.

As you know we live in a major conurbation and Debs uses public transport nearly all the time. Often I end up driving out to pick her up cos the bus hasn’t turned up and the next one isn’t due for an hour.

I have to own/use a car and for it to be available for work purposes whilst I am at work (it’s written into my contract) so no real choice if I want to stay a community nurse. Given that there’s no other nursing jobs availalble in my speciality for miles around I’m a bit stuck.

maxray
    Free Member

Not so sure I agree with that!

And yes I and another co worker use the train regularly. If I am honest mine is bearable but it doesnt fulfil those 5 criteria, hers is late pretty much every day and has just gone up by £300!!

mrmo
    Free Member

TJ that may be the case in your real world, but in the real world where i live, where due to certain decisions buses are run by different companies so you can’t use transferable tickets, where you need multiple bus passes, buses that run hourly during the day when only the retired and some shift workers can use them. Where outlying villages get weekly buses, where you get the chavs swearing, arguing, fighting, it just isn’t the place i want to be. As for trains, they are not convenient, yes you can buy mega advanced tickets for tupence if you book on a wednesday between 9:35 and 10.51 three months before you wish to travel.

I am not anti buses, i have an interview tomorrow, i know parking at the other end is crap, but i also know the bus stop is a couple of minutes from my house at this end and the bus stops at the destination . In this one case It is more convenient to use the bus, doesn’t get round the cost issue on a turn up basis, which is alot for not very far. c£1/mile. But if i were to get the job then the price comes down to £1.50 a day as it makes sense to buy a bus pass. But i would probably ride and save even more. This one case is by far the exception not the rule.

If i want to get around town i will walk or ride, if i need to move between conurbations then i drive. Until issues such as luggage, of privacy, of price and crucially of convenience can be addressed public transport is fighting a loosing battle.

molgrips
    Free Member

Look over the pond, ammericans spend the same on fuel for cars as us

Different set of circumstances altogether there. The reason they drive so far is that historically land has been cheap, so they have built very spread out cities. Partly this is because people like to have space but it’s also partly because it’s cheaper to build lots of one or two storey houses cheaply than it is to build tower blocks or town houses (we are talking a long time ago now). So the population is very spread out and the only financially viable way of shipping people around is to let them drive. And because there are now many of them there are a lot of miles driven.

Believe me, they ARE concerned about the cost of petrol.

I have 17-year-old students who drive less than 2 miles to college. While they continue to do that, I’ll continue to think petrol’s too cheap.

Ah yes, but the thing with driving two mile trips is that whilst PER MILE it is very wasteful and expensive, because it’s only two miles overall it’s not. At 15p/mile it’s only £3.00 a week, less than a pint.

benjamins11
    Free Member

Unfortunately the argument that its still too cheap because people drive 2 miles to the shop doesn’t really work. The fact that they are only going 2 miles means that whatever the cost it wont cost that much because even if they do it every day it wont cost that much because they will only be doing about 28 miles a week. Once petrol becomes so expensive that people wont drive the 2 miles to the shop it will be so expensive that nobody else will be able to leave the town they live in. People are just too fat and lazy.

stumpy01

Just remembered, I used to live in a village called Cottenham, about 6 miles north of Cambridge and work at a place called Bar Hill near Cambridge just off the A14. It was just over 7 miles to drive to work and took under 20 mins.

I looked at the bus option, but it meant getting the bus into Cambridge which i think took 40 mins. I then had to wait 20 mins or so for a bus to Bar Hill and then the journey to Bar Hill took another 25 mins or so, so it was easily getting on for an hour and a half journey time instead of 20 mins…..
    I tried commuting, but the short stretch of the A14 I had to endure was too dangerous. I did it once and never again.

I grew up in London and didn’t need a car while I was there. Public transport was great and I could never understand why everyone used to moan about it so much.
    Now I don’t live in London anymore I understand why it’s so cak.

bigjim

Pertol, tax, servicing, depreciation. etc etc etc. P{eople dont realise how much their cvar actually cost them

http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/advice/advice_rcosts_petrol_table.jsp

Ah now I am all for public transport but that table doesn’t really apply to my situation for example, of having a small car thats worth a few hundred quid that does 47mpg and very little to insure and service each year. The cost of me getting a train for my 300 mile trip at £53 is waay higher than the costs of driving it, especially when there are two of us – thats £100 on the train between us or about £30 in the car.

Its insane how much trains cost – should be the cheapest choice, tis a disaster.

I wonder how much cost the range rover sport type of beell end driver to fill up and how far that gets them, not that they will care.

miketually
    Free Member

So, we’re all agreed that driving is too cheap and public transport is too expensive?

can we have an increase in taxation on private motoring, please? Followed by returning public transport to the public?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

bijim – so your cost are 1/3 of what the AA have calculated a small car costs 🙄

Your petrol alone will be more than £30 for that journey. You nver service it. you have zero depreciation, you don’t insure and tax it?

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Don’t forget – TJ lives in Edinburgh – where public transport probably is relatively cheap, efficient and clean – largely because its been paid for by the rest of us,

Interesting that TJ also points out that the cost of the taxpayer of the car infrastructure… hows that tram scheme coming along TJ? Six hundred million quid at latest count isn’t it?

Bit different when you grow up in rural Northumberland, get to eighteen years old, find there’s no local jobs anymore and no local public transport bar the post bus…

Wonder if you’ve thought about the effect on all these Scottish trail centre’s of reduced car use – yep, knock on effects for the rural economy of increased fuel prices are horrific… so, back to your townie utopia funded by the rest of us TJ

molgrips
    Free Member

Its insane how much trains cost – should be the cheapest choice, tis a disaster.

Because there is limited supply. Trains are full, so they are clearly not too expensive from a commercial point of view.

Followed by returning public transport to the public

Yes, that’s a starting point. Transport should not be a commercial enterprise, it is an essential amenity. Why the flippin heck should the profits of train travel be put into people’s pockets and not re-invested into a system that so badly needs expansion (see above)?

Re cost of car ownership – it’s silly to take the total depreciation, servicing and whatnot and divide it by the mileage to get the cost per mile. Once you’ve made a decision to own a car for whatever reason, that’s what costs you the most – purchase price, depreciation (IF you want to factor it in), tax, insurance, and servicing (provided you don’t do huge miles bringing the service intervals more frequent than yearly) are all a consequence of that decision. Then if you decide to drive to the shops, that’s a far lower cost per mile since the rest of the costs are written off against a different cost centre, to use the business analogy.

crazy-legs

can we have an increase in taxation on private motoring, please?

What needs to happen is to scrap “road tax” (yes, I know it’s called VED, I’m making a point…) and replace it with a pay-as-you-drive scheme. It’ll never happen – too many worries about Big Brother tracking you, uproar from the politically well connected motoring lobby, outrage from the Daily Wail contingent etc but it’d really cut the number of people who “need” to drive. By making it a pay as you go, the costs suddenly become crystal clear unlike a once-per-year payment online to renew the tax disc.

It might also prompt proper car-sharing schemes, better public transport, a revival of the High street as people walk there instead of driving to out-of-town places, a better spread of traffic across the day (charge more at rush-hour to force flexible working for example).

Or am I just living in some sort of utopian ideal?

Waderider
    Free Member

Zulu Eleven, your comment of about two hours ago to my last post is correct but also wrong-headed. Surely you can see it is farcical to suggest the only tax should be income tax?

miketually
    Free Member

Re cost of car ownership – it’s silly to take the total depreciation, servicing and whatnot and divide it by the mileage to get the cost per mile

What needs to happen is to scrap “road tax” (yes, I know it’s called VED, I’m making a point…) and replace it with a pay-as-you-drive scheme.

Agreed x 2

When going into town as a family (2 adults, 2 kids), it costs us a fortune to take the bus so we generally drive. The only car costs that change are petrol and parking, as we’re paying the insurance, tax, depreciation, etc. anyway.

TheBrick
    Free Member

@TJ I’m with you on people driving too much e.t.c but the AA cost of motoring table is by having a car in the most expensive way, it can be much cheaper.

bigjim

bijim – so your cost are 1/3 of what the AA have calculated a small car costs

Your petrol alone will be more than £30 for that journey. You nver service it. you have zero depreciation, you don’t insure and tax it?

Well yeah 29 litres of petrol is a bit more than £30 but a lot less than £50 anyway. Car can’t depreciate much more but we will drive it into the ground anyway so its a cheap little gem, can’t be bothered working out what the tax, servicing and insurance is per mile over a year is but its tiny, its a really cheap car to run. Point is, it is waaay cheaper than getting the train, especially more when both of us are going somewhere. Megabus would be cheaper than car but not so good for taking bikes and my ten foot legs.

miketually
    Free Member

IIRC, a full car is better than train anyway, CO2-wise?

stumpy01

Here’s my snippet from the thread about running costs of a car:

—————————————-
    30k miles/yr. Assume £1.20/litre and I average 55mpg = around about £3k in fuel or £0.10/mile.

I paid £7.5k for it 4 years ago and it’s now worth about £3k so that’s £1125/yr or £0.0375/mile

Tax, MOT & Insurance costs ~£570/yr or £0.019/mile

Tyres and servicing (assuming nothing major goes pop) is about £500/yr or £0.0167/mile.

Hmmmm. Have I missed something there?? That only works out to £0.17/mile.
    ————————————–

Obviously fuel has gone up since then (10p/litre in <3 weeks) and it was pointed out to me that my tyres & servicing should be nearer £850 but even so that added less than 1p/mile to the total.

So call it 18.5p/mile currently.

Oh and that includes breakdown cover as it is included in my insurance.

Here’s the original thread: http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/what-are-the-running-costs-of-a-car

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 171 total)

The topic ‘Petrol Prices’ is closed to new replies.