Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 171 total)
  • Petrol Prices
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

The good old Sun spouting the same old stories once again. Cheapest petrol in europe before the tax is added blah blah! Its good to know jaykay is also on our side, I’m sure he winces every time he fills one of the Ferraris up!!! No amount of jumping up and down will ever get any government in this country to reduce what is probably the nations best cash cow

LHS
    Free Member

It can’t be that expensive if we aren’t changing our driving habits.

druidh
    Free Member

There are still too many cars on the roads, mostly being driven in excess of the speed limits, so it can’t be “too expensive” yet.

glenh
    Free Member

Wot they said ^

Plus, why do people simultaneously complain of “the government taking all our money” and also of public spending cuts?
    Do they think the government just piles it all up and rolls around in it laughing?

Hohum
    Free Member

I must admit that when I start my new job (hopefully) that I will be catching the train to work rather than using my car.

Thankfully I will have a cheaper alternative, although in my previous role using the train would have been dreadful.

LMT
    Free Member

They know we will keep paying, so they can keep upping the cost, its £1.29 round by me at the moment, although there is a shell garage on the way to work still charging £1.21, but the queues round it are stupid it adds 20 mins on my journey to work just to get past it. IIRC there is another price hike scheduled for April as well, can’t wait!

wrightyson
    Free Member

I have to drive my van to work, it contains all the stuff I need day to day, I would love to ride to work but a stihl saw quickly takes up a rucksacks space on its own! The mrs walks with the kids to school and even tho I love my car I only ever get to drive it at weekends! When the wife goes to work she has to drive because its cheaper than the the buses she’d have to catch. So what could we change???

fbk
    Free Member

Oh god, another chance for some idealistic utopian ranting 😯

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’ve not once complained about the cuts! They were unavoidable as i see it! What I am complaining about is tits like jaykay feeling our pain!!

molgrips
    Free Member

Do they think the government just piles it all up and rolls around in it laughing?

I think they do. Actually no, I think most people don’t think at all, and just like to whinge. Their standard of living could be great, but they would always just want it to be better.

So what could we change???

Nothing. It’s tax, suck it up.

LHS
    Free Member

Nothing.

mattbee

I just fill mt 16-18mpg 2.5td Landrover up a bit more frequently using the company card and carry on as normal. Will be back on SVO when it gets warmer though, bet the price of oil goes up in Tesco too mind you….

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

druidh – There are still too many cars on the roads, mostly being driven in excess of the speed limits

too many? and mostly?

presumably you’ve got factual evidence to back this up!

LHS
    Free Member

Number of cars on the road has actually fallen in the last year.

druidh
    Free Member

Stu McGroo – Member

presumably you’ve got factual evidence to back this up!

Don’t be soft – this is STW!!

aP
    Free Member

From my recent ventures out onto motorways there are still loads of SUV type and “large saloon” vehicles being hammered along at well in excess of the speed limit – no evidence of any shift in driving style, and there appears to be no change in driving short urban journeys in the area that I live either.
    As far as I can see the recent increase in price has had absolutely no effects on most motorists except for increased whinging in the Daily Mail and the BBC HYS pages.

djglover
    Free Member

My diesel car with 190 Bhp costs me 12p per mile to run at todays prices

In 2001 I had a golf gti with a fraction of the power that cost me 11p per mile

I’m not too worried yet, still pretty cheap IMHO

LHS
    Free Member

My diesel car with 190 Bhp costs me 12p per mile to run at todays prices

🙄

geordiepaul
    Free Member

People are driving less and less. I drive to work cos I have to, no other way to get there.

What I’ve noticed is that there are less and less people I cycle with coming away biking. We normally go different places at the weekend and the numbers have dropped simple cos taking the car on non-essential journeys is too expensive.

So people will pay it when they have to cos they normally have no choice. If you look at the social impacts….more couch potatoes….more obesity as people stop doing things that involve travel. One way of looking at it anyway…

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

druidh – Don’t be soft – this is STW!!

fair comment 😉

druidh
    Free Member

geordiepaul – Member
    What I’ve noticed is that there are less and less people I cycle with coming away biking. We normally go different places at the weekend and the numbers have dropped simple cos taking the car on non-essential journeys is too expensive.

Err – cycle from your house?

So people will pay it when they have to cos they normally have no choice. If you look at the social impacts….more couch potatoes….more obesity as people stop doing things that involve travel. One way of looking at it anyway…

Reducing driving will make people less active? Well, I’ve not seen that particular argument before…..

LHS
    Free Member

more obesity as people stop doing things that involve travel.

They could walk to their local shops rather than getting in the car to go to the Tesco 25mins away.

kimbers

its ok the torries promised a fuel equaliser to reduce tax as crude prices went up…..oh
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/david-cameron/8249716/David-Cameron-in-reverse-on-petrol-price-cut.html
    seeing as government spending is still rising iirc id only expect fuel duty to keep going up, the roads in london are still rammed with 4x4s and luxury mercedes tanks

stumpy01

aP – Member
    From my recent ventures out onto motorways there are still loads of SUV type and “large saloon” vehicles being hammered along at well in excess of the speed limit – no evidence of any shift in driving style

Anecdotally, I have found the opposite on my commute, with cars GENERALLY being driven at slower speeds.

There are cars still being driven at silly speeds, but I reckon plenty of them are company cars that have fuel cards or fuel expenses – so the cost of the fuel is pretty irrelevant to them as an end user so long as the company keeps paying.
    My old boss has a 110 mile/day commute and when he joined the company he somehow wangled a company car and fuel expenses, even though others at his level aren’t afforded the same luxury. He doesn’t care if his car does 30mpg or 60mpg as he’s not paying for it.

Since Christmas I have noticed a definite slowing down of traffic on my 60 mile each way commute. At the beginning and end of my journey there are short sections of road between roundabouts – I have noticed a lot more people are keeping their speed down on these sections, rather than accelerating hard off one roundabout only to brake hard for the next. I have started driving more economically than I was and doing certain sections at no more than 60mph where there are relatively short stretches of road linked by roundabouts.
    There are far fewer cars bombing past me on the A1 as there were before Christmas and I am frequently joined in my relaxed trundling by RR Sports, large Audi’s etc.

There are two people I work with who live quite near me and I have resisted lift sharing as they do stupid long hours. I don’t really fancy leaving the house at 6:45 and not getting home until 7:30, but it is beginning to look like I may have to join them at least for a couple of days/week to save some money. I have looked into public transport, but it is not viable.

younggeoff

Well I think it’s a crock of $hit, It now costs over £70 to tank up my motor and I only use it on weekends at 30mpg that’s 20p per mile in fuel alone Unfortunately I can’t afford to change motor’s so I have to stick with what I’ve got. We used to head to the Dales and North York moors every other weekend to ride but can’t afford it now thanks to the fuel costs. I’m just glad I don’t have to use the car to get to work otherwise I’d just be pouring more cash into the govenments pockets.

druidh
    Free Member

LHS – Member

stumpy01 – Member
    my 60 mile each way commute.

I rest my case.

BlobOnAStick

I’m in Northern Italy currently and diesel is 1.4 euros/litre.

I really don’t think the UK is suffering from overpriced fuel compared with the rest of europe.

sobriety
    Free Member

Just a thought, but won’t increasing the increaing cost of fuel affect haulage companies, which will affect the cost of goods for the end user?

LHS
    Free Member

It now costs over £70 to tank up my motor and I only use it on weekends at 30mpg that’s 20p per mile in fuel alone

Petrol has gone up 15% in the last year, so by rough and dirty maths thats about 3p a mile for you. Even if you did 100miles a weekend to go biking thats still only an additional £3.

mrmo
    Free Member

I suppose mountain biking from the door does depend to an extent on where you live, i guess somewhere like London isn’t going to be brilliant, whereas i know Cheltenham is not to bad. I am assuming people have a life, responsibilities and can’t fit in 30mile road rides to the first off road bit.

But to say that by not driving you are going to get fat! IF that worked why has the average man gained 7.7kg between 1986 and 2000, a period when car usage has grown.

the reality is too many people are lazy and look for excuses. An excuse is easier than actually, god forbid, trying to sort the problem, If you are fat eat less and do some exercise. Don’t moan that people don’t understand, that you are big boned, its your genetics, etc, etc. Put bluntly your fat deal with it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

MG Midget – 35mpg, and more importantly, you can drive it for fun, thus making each journey half price as you can justify half the cost as for transport and half for fun!

molgrips
    Free Member

30mpg

There’s your problem. Why would you buy a 30mpg car?

MountainMutant
    Free Member

Ouch mine is 41p a mile just in fuel! The joys of a 4.2 twin turbo 🙂

Luckily I am driving less at the mo as some scrotes broke in to my house last week and stole the car off the drive!

It’s been found so my savings are shorlived!

MM

miketually
    Free Member

Just a thought, but won’t increasing the increaing cost of fuel affect haulage companies, which will affect the cost of goods for the end user?

Only if they can pass on the extra expense to the consumer. The haulage companies have to compete on price. If their greatest expense is fuel, they will look to minimise that expense; so you now see more trucks with aerodynamic trailers, or companies seek to steamline their distribution systems.

If the increased cost of fuel reduces non-essential journies, fewer trucks will be sat in traffic, which will reduce costs.

juan
    Free Member

what bob says, petrol is 1.5 € a litre here in France.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Ouch mine is 41p a mile just in fuel!

😯

rossi46
    Free Member

I ride a motorcycle to work and back daily- a journey i couldnt do unless i took a couple of trains and half a days travelling. On the bike it’s 45 minutes each way, and i can (carefully) go down the middle of the traffic :D.
    Why would i change that??
    Anyways, three years or so ago i could fill er up for £8. Now it costs nearly £15 for the same full tank.

Disgusting!

Waderider
    Free Member

I drive a thirsty Volvo. Petrol is too cheap and needs to at least double in price as an incentive to the development of alternatives, and maybe even to get lazy lard arses to take some exercise.

I also can’t afford lots of petrol.

Regarding mountain biking from the door, I’ve made my own trails. Sorted.

stumpy01

druidh – Member
    LHS – Member
    stumpy01 – Member
    my 60 mile each way commute.
    I rest my case.

I was made redundant. I looked for a job for 6 months. There were hardly any about and seemed to be none in my locality. Most of the potential jobs that came up were at least 30 miles away, many of them were more.
    Eventually, I found a job that happened to be 60 miles away. Not ideal, but I was at the stage where I had little choice as my savings were getting low, so I took the job. There is still a lack of suitable jobs in my area although I have been looking to find a job closer to home.
    We are currently in the middle of moving house at the moment and if I did take a new job on, I wouldn’t be able to get a mortgage so I have to stay at my current job for the moment anyway.
    We could move closer to my place of work, but that would mean a longer commute for my other half and the house prices are way higher as you move away from where I currently live.

I specifically chose an economical car as I knew I’d be doing high miles – and I get around 55mpg.

I could lift share as mentioned, but this would mean much longer hours and would pretty much obliterate my spare time in the evenings.

I have looked at public transport, but this isn’t feasible.

And I how do you know I haven’t changed my overall driving habits?? Commuting is only one part of the driving I do. Pretty much every journey I do now I consider the validity of it. I use the bike a lot more for local journey’s or I put off going shopping until I need several items, rather than making multiple trips etc.
    And as for weekends away for riding, that has pretty much been knocked on the head because of the cost of driving hundreds of miles to get to Wales/Scotland etc….

Waderider
    Free Member

All van driving grafters are in the same boat. Pass the costs on to your customer.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 171 total)

The topic ‘Petrol Prices’ is closed to new replies.