Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Petrol price anomaly
  • yosemitepaul

I know petrol prices have been done to death, and we are all getting scared by their increase.

At my local Tesco (Carlisle) petrol has risen this week to £1.90.9 I know its a lot more expensive elsewhere.

I was out riding today and rode past Tesco at Annan (about 15 miles from Carlisle) where petrol was £1.74.9

Considering that one station is very close to another that is a huge difference in price. Are Tesco

profiteering on the Carlisle price or making a loss at the Annan price? If the cost is nearer the £1.74 mark

then some retail establishments are making huge amounts of dosh!!!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Or one is selling older fuel than the other ie one has received petrol at a cheaper wholesale.

hot_fiat

Forcourt display is buggered and really it’s 194.9? Would only need two segments to be broken

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    molgrips
    Free Member

When I filled up in Builth Wells a couple of weekends ago it was 1.94 on one side of a street at Texaco and 1.86 at Co-op on the other side. Why would anyone go to the Texaco?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Texaco…. Not seen one of them since about 1992

matt_outandabout

Thanks, that’s worth a divert as I go past tomorrow. 👍

oldtennisshoes

Makes even ionity charge prices seem reasonable (almost) 😉

redmex
    Free Member

Tesco sell their fuel for whatever they can get depends on the competition, it’s not like their other staples in the shop that tend to be the same all over other than the metro stores. They have been known to chase competitors out of town with cheap fuel then when it’s only their station left hike the price right up. Old Stockwell with mafia tactics

igm

Two different countries?

Thought the fuel tax regime was the same though.

PS – just a quick detour for the Ride to the Sun folk if they take a few spare waterbidons.

jamesmio
    Free Member

Higher risk of civil unrest and rioting in Annan.

duncancallum

That’s me filling in annan tomorrow

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Same in Boroughbridge where Morrisons are always 4ppl dearer than Morrisons in Starbeck 8 miles away.
    Funny how Morrisons in Boroughbridge have no competition within 8 miles. Apart from a repair garage who do fuel more or less as a sideline.
    I recently wrote to them for an explanation but got a standard reply about customer service & other crap, no explanation why the discrepancy.

finephilly
    Free Member

Depends who they get fuel from, where it comes from and when. Price changes daily for retailers, who typically make little or nothing on it. Maybe came from Kingsbury or Milford Haven in the case of Builth Wells. That means different prices aswell. It’s the refiners and producers who are raking it in atm, not retailers

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Price changes daily for retailers, who typically make little or nothing on it.

This. I had a petrol station for 25 years & worked on around 3.5ppl profit which was great to start with but as years went by the margin never went up but the advent of debit/credit cards & their charges soon cut that.
    (When my mum & dad 1st had the garage we were making 11p per gallon & selling around 250000 gallons a year. Happy days.)

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Round our way everything is 1.99 for diesel

Even the places that used to be 10p more than everywhere else.

So quite clearly some are either making less margin than they used to or some are taking the pee

TheDTs
    Free Member

Some of the people filling up in obviously expensive Petrol stations adjacent to cheaper ones will probably be using fuel cards. The price you pay on a fuel card has no connection to the pump price. (Usually)

TheDTs
    Free Member

For that matter I pity the forecourt owners with lots of fuel card business, I guess that eats even more into their margin!

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Fuel cards are very close to the average pump prices

doomanic

Diesel and E5 petrol are the same price round here at a gnat’s under £2 per litre. Only one garage has dared to break the £2 barrier but it was always the most expensive in the area. Unfortunately the formerly cheap garage on the Chepstow road is now the same price as everyone else.

timba
    Free Member

Asda is one of the better outlets https://www.cityam.com/aa-praises-asda-for-not-surging-petrol-prices-as-diesel-approaches-dreaded-2-litre-milestone/
    They cancelled the sale of their forecourts to EG group last year and they used to/still do apply a national price cap so no local variation

molgrips
    Free Member

I just checked the Builth Wells situation on Google Street view and I am guessing the images are from last summer, it’s pre price explosion obvs, but the two garages are the same price as you’d expect.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/NAKQaVmynYiMJzDp9

yosemitepaul

Sunday am.. Still £1.74.9 at Tesco Annan.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.