Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)
  • Petrol heads ā€“ a sad time šŸ™
  • mdavids
    Free Member

125i coupe now owned for 4 years through which itā€™s been very reliable. Its got a slightly strangled version of the 3.0 six pot found in the 130 but a simple Ā£300 remap un-strangles it freeing up an extra 50hp.
    Bit of a hidden gem in my opinion and canā€™t see me getting rid any time soon, the engine is an absolute peach.

nickewen
    Free Member

Mdavids ā€“ if itā€™s the same N53 engine I had in a 325i (2009) unfortunately (after much digging) I found out that there is new hardware required to get up to 30i power not just remap. The 330i of the same ilk has a trick 3-stage/length intake manifold that opens and shuts valves at different rpm creating a mild forced induction effect.

Mind you it might be a totally different engine as mine was not reliable at all and treated injectors as a consumable, in which case please ignore me!

iamtheresurrection

I sold my 135 in January and changed to a Golf R estate. It was low miles and only three years old but my kids were finding the back pretty cramped ā€“ itā€™s tiny really, but I absolutely loved it.

The Golf should have been perfect for me, but every time I drove it I thought Iā€™d fall asleep with boredom ā€“ too capable, probablyā€¦ Build quality was hugely disappointing and not close to the 1 series, which some people think is a low bar already (I disagree). The engine was clearly capable, but utterly unlovable.

I tolerated it/tried to love it for 9 months but Iā€™ve just swapped it for a F31 340i tourer. Not as nice to drive as the 135, but bigger. Itā€™s a lovely place to be, and although the steering is much too light, the engine is a cracker and will be the last of the RWD 6 pots.

Iā€™m just back 500 miles over the last two days, sat at about 70mph and it returned 43mpg. The Golf would have been 37mpg (ish) on the same journey.

I think Iā€™ll keep it for 10 years or so while they figure out electric vs hydrogen.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I sold my 135 in January and changed to a Golf R estate

I was thinking it may have to be a Golf R next but your feedback (and others) puts me off šŸ™

phil5556

It is a shame, I keep seeing 140s around (thereā€™s one on my street) and thinking that when the time comes one would be a good replacement/upgrade for the Polo GTI. Iā€™m not sure Iā€™d be so excited about an X Drive one and definitely not FWD.

My E91 330D Touring is lovely despite being diesel and auto, itā€™s made me a bit of a BMW fan after always being into VAG cars.

fossy

Environmentalists, donā€™t look in this threadā€¦ā€¦

fossy

I quite fancy an Infiniti Q50.

2.0T Petrol or the 3.5 V6 Hybrid ā€“ cheap as chips at 3-4 years old. The hybrid is seriously fast.

Yes I know Infiniti pull out of Europe in March but they have either Merc or Nissan engines, and are made from stock parts of both. The hybrid has the 350Z engine. Big Nissan fan here as ours have been massively reliable.

djglover
    Free Member

I love my petrol cars, but I do now feel some guilt and receive some shaming. Next family car will be at least HEV. Current in a mk5 gti which I am enjoying more than my m135i despite the 100hp missing. I like the hydraulic steering and the go kart handling. In fact I liked my 330i more than the m135i too.

tenfoot

Iā€™m just back 500 miles over the last two days, sat at about 70mph and it returned 43mpg.

That is impressive. My F30 320i would only give 40-41 in that situation.

julians
    Free Member

I owned an m135i for about 3 years. It was an lsd and some decent dampers away from perfection. Great car.

Now have an m4, which is pretty damn good, feels like a big Caterham 7.

robowns
    Free Member

M135i here ā€“ great car, traction is terrible though, any time you put your foot down a light comes up on the dash warning you that you have no traction!

Fantastic otherwise, good mpg on long journeys with the 8sp auto and pokey around town.

robowns
    Free Member

Always on the look out for the next car ā€“ thinking Panamera at the mo, unpopular choice. Before the climate change activists get in, Iā€™m in London and drive 20 miles a week.

mdavids
    Free Member

Mdavids ā€“ if itā€™s the same N53 engine I had in a 325i (2009) unfortunately (after much digging) I found out that there is new hardware required to get up to 30i power not just remap.

Nope its the N52 and the only difference between the 125 and 130 is the Ecu map. Itā€™s a proven remap that just removes the restrictions from the throttle opening and timing settings. Iā€™ve had it done and the rolling road figures took it from 211 to 268hp, its very noticeable.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

traction is terrible though, any time you put your foot down a light comes up on the dash warning you that you have no traction!

But thatā€™s the point and perhaps you are in the wrong car for what you need. The point of a good rwd car IMO is that you canā€™t just floor it every where, get an xdrive version if you want that.

RWD for me is not about power but the fact you need skill to get the best out of them. All wheel drive or front wheel drive canā€™t match that finesse of balancing throttle out of a corner to steer you out.

The roads are getting to that nice winter greasy state too at the min and overtaking the other day in my 330e (which has ridiculous instant torque) I just floored it pulling out and the back end went. Itā€™s great now remembering that I need to feed the throttle in to find the limit of grip, rather than just dumping all the power at once. Makes the driving experience all the more fun!

Just would be nice if that could all happen with an engine that makes a nice noise too!

Having said that I do quite like the very quiet noise of the electric motor with ICE off.

cubist
    Free Member

Used C63 estate? Although I donā€™t think the dog would enjoy it much šŸ˜‰

I just bought one to scratch the V8 itch before going electric. Got 33mpg driving from Heathrow to East Mids. I know thatā€™s not great but with 500bhp itā€™s not badā€¦. I do cycle to work so it does, in my self centred and broken logic, offset the poor eco credentials (although the less said about the flights environmental impact the better)

nickewen
    Free Member

Mdavids ā€“ glad to hear it, my local BMW Indie said the N52 is a much stronger and better engine than the N53. šŸ‘ Think that means you also donā€™t have any of that direct injection nonsense which made mine sound like a diesel on tickover!

Ben_H

Car magazines were warning in the late 00s that the days of big ICE engines were coming to a close and theyā€™ve been more or less correct. Weā€™ve known for ages that cars are pants for the environment and the big engined ones are, rightly or not, just the pin-up.

ICE cars will go the same way as steam power. An emotional experience and a curiosity, but not mainstream.

I had my fun when I could (supercharged Golf R32 etc etc), but bikes are much more fun and a lot cheaper!

nickewen
    Free Member

I agree with the points above re. Traction and LSD. Unfortunately the M135i is only a ā€œgood ā€œRWD up to about 7/10ths. Above that it is quite prickly ā€“ I think a combo of open diff, poorly damped/sprung and short wheelbase. Thereā€™s not a lot of fun or finesse to be had in the twistys with the traction on/off/in-between. The open diff will just spin an inside rear before cutting power on/off (depending on TC). As above itā€™s about Ā£4,000 away from being a proper drivers car.. itā€™s not the ā€œweaponā€ some people make out. Itā€™s very fast but not loads of fun..

flange
    Free Member

I have a 135i with an LSD and stage 2 remap. Itā€™s lairy, to the point of being dangerous. Even on a standard map with LSD itā€™s not much better. Basically the engine is too big for the car. Buy an A45 instead would be my recommendation.

Does make a nice noise though

chestrockwell

Really liked our old M Sport 1 Series and itā€™s such a shame they dropped RWD. Never mind though as I had a good blast in a i3s and am completely sold. Great bit of kit, RWD too!

kayla1
    Free Member

Environmentalists, donā€™t look in this threadā€¦ā€¦

Whoa, careful there Jeremy/Piers. Itā€™s ok to knit your own yoghurt and drive fast cars you know, just ask Lewis Hamilton šŸ˜†

CountZero

But thatā€™s the point and perhaps you are in the wrong car for what you need. The point of a good rwd car IMO is that you canā€™t just floor it every where, get an xdrive version if you want that.

RWD for me is not about power but the fact you need skill to get the best out of them. All wheel drive or front wheel drive canā€™t match that finesse of balancing throttle out of a corner to steer you out.

The roads are getting to that nice winter greasy state too at the min and overtaking the other day in my 330e (which has ridiculous instant torque) I just floored it pulling out and the back end went. Itā€™s great now remembering that I need to feed the throttle in to find the limit of grip, rather than just dumping all the power at once. Makes the driving experience all the more fun!

You are Surfmatt and I claim my Ā£5!
    RWD is useless in any kind of snow, and Iā€™ve had a BMW spinning its rear wheels in heavy rain heading towards J18 on the M4, due to the water sitting in the channels made by trucks.
    I got off the motorway at that point, it was getting too scary.
    Iā€™ve driven enough BMWā€™s* to have developed a healthy dislike, I wouldnā€™t own one if it was given me.
    *1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Series, X2, X3, X5 Series.

phil5556

and Iā€™ve had a BMW spinning its rear wheels in heavy rain

Iā€™ve had FWD cars do that with bad / worn tyres. So far my BMW has been fine in some horrendous weather, I do use Uniroyal Rainsport tyres though and donā€™t let them get too low before changing them.

And as for snow Iā€™ve not had to try it yet but I do have winter tyres (wider than ideal at 255) and snow chains. Iā€™ll report back if it snows this year. If it goes really badly Iā€™ll be in the wifeā€™s Polo.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

RWD is useless in any kind of snow

No it is not, you just need to be prepared for the fact that you need opposite lock on quite a lot and stay from idiots going too slowly up hills (the ones in fwd cars who think the answer is to drive really slowly in 1st gear revving the engine hard, determined to wear out their tyres)

jonjones262
    Free Member

I scratched the V8 itch just over a year ago. Got hold of a 2013 C63 AMG wagon. It was amazing but stupid! Way waaaaaay too fast for the roads.

The thrill I used to get from the acceleration in my old Subaru Forrester Turbo getting up to speed would get you to way over 100 far too easily

You could see the fuel gauge going down, I once almost ran out of petrol in a traffic jam. Ā£90 to fill it would get me about 200 miles

I had to switch after 5 months due to more miles for work. Now in a C250 wagon, Ā£80 to fill, almost 700 miles.

Never had so many boy racers pull absolutely crazy manoeuvres to get past me when Iā€™m just driving along like normal

Still want to get a newer 4.0 version though šŸ˜‰

iamtheresurrection

If it goes really badly Iā€™ll be in the wifeā€™s Polo.

Youā€™ll be better than fine. A RWD on decent winter tyres will out perform a FWD car on non-winter tyres in snow.

For that matter, a RWD with good winter tyres will out perform a 4WD on snow on normal tyres too.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Oh god who mentioned snow and grip and set them all off!

Now weā€™re going to have 5 pages of my (insert type of drivetrain) can climb up the side of Everest with one snow tyre fitted, youā€™re all rubbish drivers, blah blah blah šŸ˜‚

iamtheresurrection

šŸ˜‚ yeah, probably.

Nothing to do with driving god status, just suitable tyres.

Here, a quick search to save 5 pagesā€¦ 4WD regular, vs RWD winter. Lots of results, all the same.

Edit, wrong link: https://youtu.be/STaximkaQxo

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Donā€™t be sad

sparksmcguff

I appreciate we can mourn the passing of something and clearly this post isnā€™t addressed to me but whyā€™s it sad? Are we really still viewing cars as an entertainment platform?

bikebouy
    Free Member

My mates wife has an AMG GL43ā€¦ She bought it last year and itā€™s bonkers, itā€™s a silly car for a road network like we have here in the UK. I can almost see the benefit for Autobahns, but even then driving at 150mph is silly.

So, she has it in comfort mode and thats it. She has one of those MercMe Apps that tells you where and what the car is doing.. my mate has been telephoned by her on occasion when heā€™s nicked it for the day to ā€œcan you take my car out of sport ++ mode pleaseā€ Itā€™s hilarious simply for the fact that weā€™re on our way home form the sailing club in a traffic queueā€¦

I just donā€™t get why we need 4.3ltrs and Sport ++ modes on cars.

Northwind

When I got my last car, it was definitely in my mind that it might be my last fossil fuel carā€¦ So I went through a list of more or less daft options, nearly went with a V8 5 series because when else am I ever going to own a rwd v8?

bensales
    Free Member

My mates wife has an AMG GL43ā€¦

I just donā€™t get why we need 4.3ltrs and Sport ++ modes on cars.

Good thing itā€™s only a turbocharged 3 litre then.

And the answer to your question is ā€œbecause itā€™s funā€. There are other places and countries to drive cars you know. That electric 3 series above looks hilarious.

happybiker
    Free Member

Sad indeed but the down sizing was inevitable. I have had a facelift M135i for a couple of years and love it, did a trip to Scotland last summer, 3 bikes on the rear rack, kids bike and medium roof box and saw 40-42mpg sitting at 65mph. Normal commuting I get 35mpg. Short blastsā€¦. Not so good. (Thatā€™s with stage 2 map).

Once youā€™re out of town the big engine is much more efficient than a smaller 4 pot. A colleague of mine went from a 2.0l Focus ST to a 340i and his mpg went from 34 to 40 driving to work.

Edukator
    Free Member

There are other places and countries to drive cars you know

But us foreigners would rather you left your RHD heavy metal monsters at home and hired a LHD Clio locally.

nickewen
    Free Member

Happy biker ā€“ which rack have you got on the back of your M135i? I ended up getting roof bars after dealer saying towbar was not possible on that car.
    Thanks

Frankenstein
    Free Member

They were on to a winner with the E39. Miss my 530 M sport.

Then went hit and miss.

I was going to buy an M2 but it sounded crap.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Fully understandā€¦
    Despite my E91 325iā€™s replacement coming next month, I have decided not to part with it. I simply canā€™t face it! Itā€™s got 145000 on it and feels like new.

Itā€™s the last of the N/A 3.0 straight sixes and it sounds magical. ā¤ļø
    Itā€™ll do over 30mpg on the motorway occasionally so itā€™s cheap to run for 20k miles a year. Itā€™s going into semi retirement and I plan to half itā€™s mileage.

Iā€™m about to downsize to a small-engined VAG 4wd 2.0 turbo estate for its replacement, which is significantly quicker but will lack any character in comparison.šŸ™

happybiker
    Free Member

Nickewan, itā€™s a Westfalia from PF Jones. Your dealer is sort of right, the 135 is not rated for towing, but there is a towbar for all the other F20/1s so just use that to look for options. Works fine with a Buzzrack and is completely hidden when detached. Obviously you canā€™t tow a trailer but a bike rack is allowed.
    https://www.pfjones.co.uk/bmw-1-series-hatchback-3-5-door-2011-onwards-westfalia-detachable-towbar.html

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)

The topic ā€˜Petrol heads ā€“ a sad time šŸ™ā€™ is closed to new replies.