Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Petrol from thin air.
  • ooOOoo
    Free Member

So how much petrol would they produce if they wanted to reduce air’s CO2 ppm by 100?

bencooper
    Free Member

None, because this won’t reduce atmospheric CO2 – it goes right back into the air when you burn it 🙂

andyl
    Free Member

Well it will be reduced as long as we store lots of fuel produced by it.

It really isn’t much different to oil stored under ground – at some point it was in the air and it got consumed by a biological process.

Now if someone could genetically engineer a plant or bacteria to do the conversion it could be a lot easier. Although I think the bacteria thing may have been done or being done.

molgrips
    Free Member

None, because this won’t reduce atmospheric CO2 – it goes right back into the air when you burn it

Er yes it will, cos whilst we are burning this stuff we’re NOT burning fossil CO2. And natural carbon sequestration will continue to take CO2 out of the air.

zokes
    Free Member

Now if someone could genetically engineer a plant or bacteria to do the conversion it could be a lot easier. Although I think the bacteria thing may have been done or being done.

Like photosynthesis, you mean?

Er yes it will, cos whilst we are burning this stuff we’re NOT burning fossil CO2. And natural carbon sequestration will continue to take CO2 out of the air.

You know more than most people I work with then… 🙄

Noone knows what would happen, but I’m not aware of anyone in the field who would state with any certainty that natural sequestration would reduce CO2 levels by anything appreciable, especially if the climate continued to warm, thereby stimulating microbial degradation of organic matter, releasing CO2

ooOOoo
    Free Member

So we need to create the fuel, then stick it back in the empty oil wells.

bencooper
    Free Member

Er yes it will, cos whilst we are burning this stuff we’re NOT burning fossil CO2.

That’s not reducing CO2, it’s just not increasing CO2 🙂

It’s CO2-neutral, like biofuels – not counting the CO2 you produce making the biofuels, of course.

You can’t really stick oil back in the wells, unfortunately…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If I were a Middle-Eastern oil producing state with dwindling reserves, I’d be looking at my thousands of square miles of parched desert, and my fuel storage and distribution infrastructure, and be sending some guys with briefcases full of cash to Stockton on Tees.

I see your point, but you missed one tiny detail..!
    This process uses water vapor from the air, yes?
    What do deserts, by definition, lack? (Even in the air)

🙂

racefaceec90

sounds good indeed 🙂
    i also remember watching one of the james may programs on bbc2 last year,where there was a scientist who could produce petrol,straight from the sun’s rays (it involved amplifying the sun onto a mirror,and then into some type of distillation (?!) chamber (or something along those lines).
    like the op’s link though,he wasn’t able to get much petrol to begin with (but the technology is definitely worth getting major investment in).
    this in fact [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJot9WKybQE[/video] 🙂

ooOOoo
    Free Member

You can’t really stick oil back in the wells, unfortunately…

Because we fill them with water?
    OK, so take out that water, use it with atmospheric CO2 to create oil, then pump it back in!

Sorted. Although something tells me that wouldn’t happen.

bencooper
    Free Member

I’ll ask some people in the business, but I don’t think it’s that simple – besides, what’s to stop some other sod drilling a well a mile away and nicking the oil you’ve just put down there? 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

One of the process engineering design porjects at uni was to design a plant for this process. The reaction is as old as the oil industry, Ficher-Trophs reaction, just run in the at the extream end of how it’s conventionaly done, it usualy starts with an energy souce like coal or gas (refered to as CTL or GTL, coal or gas to liquid), burn half of it to fuel the process and the other half becomes petrol, originaly developed by Nazi Germany when no one wanted to fuel their tanks, then used extensively by other countries with lots of coal but no one wanted to sell them oil for political reasons South Africa so SASOL are biggest users.

It doesn’t work on an economic scale if you try and start with CO2.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

They just asked the manager on the BBC “How efficient is it, how much electricity do you need to produce a litre?” and he answered mainly “it’s good for global warming”…

TooTall
    Free Member

This would not be a solution to global climate change, but it would be a possible solution to the end of our finite carbon fuels. The hunt for a ‘drop in’ replacement, particularly in the aviation world, has always been the holy grail. If you don’t have to have a whole new infrastructure to support a fuel, it is cheaper and easier to adopt.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

This would not be a solution to global climate change, but it would be a possible solution to the end of our finite carbon fuels. The hunt for a ‘drop in’ replacement, particularly in the aviation world, has always been the holy grail. If you don’t have to have a whole new infrastructure to support a fuel, it is cheaper and easier to adopt.

When I said uneconomic think of the old joke about a full tank of fuel doubling the value of a Skoda, but substitute in an F1 car.

molgrips
    Free Member

There are natural sequestration processes though? I’m sure I remember hearing many times that CO2 levels would go down if all anthropogenic CO2 emissions ceased. I also remember hearing that there was an amount we could emit without overall levels increasing.

Now I know about some of the various tipping points above which negative feedback cycles become positive ones, but until we reach those….?

wwaswas

I remember hearing many times that CO2 levels would go down if all anthropogenic CO2 emissions ceased

I must confess it’s not a phrase that’s come up much in conversations I’ve had.

I shall use anthropogenic at the dinner table tonight, though, and how the kids react.

zokes
    Free Member

There are natural sequestration processes though?

Yes, but how balanced or not they are with natural emission processes, especially given the unprecidented rate at which atmospheric CO2 concentrations and temperature have risen is anyone’s guess. Noone knows with any degree of certainty.

I’m sure I remember hearing many times that CO2 levels would go down if all anthropogenic CO2 emissions ceased.

They may go down quickly, they may go down slowly, they may not go down at all, or they may carry on increasing. Basically, over the past 200 years we’ve done quite a successful job of screwing up with the equilibrium of consumption vs emission. Yes there are models out there predicting all these scenarios, but as my research demonstrates on a daily basis we know didly-squat about the actual hows, whats and whys beyond a very crude level.

I also remember hearing that there was an amount we could emit without overall levels increasing.

Possibly, and this is related to the theory of tipping points. Again, noone knows what the threshold levels really are. What we do know is that there is at least a 20 year lag between us stopping emitting now and temperature rises attenuating. In the crudest possible sense, if we stopped burning fossil fuels tomorrow, we’d have to wait a couple of decades with baited breath to find out if it was soon enough.

One of the reasons for the wide range of numbers you get out of climate models is that these thresholds are seen as big step events, triggering one gives you a completely different answer to not doing so, and it’s just one group’s educated guesses (predictions) as to what should trigger those events in a model simulation.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Very interesting Zokes. I like to hear scientists approaching predictions with humility. The Earth is a big place after all!
    It wasn’t the Industrial Revolution it’s the Industrial Experiment and it’s still ongoing.

zokes
    Free Member

It wasn’t the Industrial Revolution it’s the Industrial Experiment and it’s still ongoing.

There’s actually a reasonable amount of scientific thought about whether or not on a lesser scale we’ve been affecting climate for much longer than that – ever since intensification of rice paddies (and associated N2O and CH4 emissions) about 5000 years ago

cheez0
    Free Member

Brilliant news!

I’m off out to buy a 5l gas guzzlin yankmobile and rag its ass hard!!

bruumm bruuummm!

molgrips
    Free Member

Wouldn’t it also be possible to make other petrochemical substitutes the same way? So plastics etc?

Then you could make crap, bury it when it gets thrown away, and bingo – sequestration.

allthepies
    Free Member

Stop!

“Hydrogen is then produced by electrolysing water vapour”

From Wiki:-

“The barrier to lowering the price of high purity hydrogen is a cost of more than 35 kWh of electricity used to generate each kilogram of hydrogen gas.”

If hydrogen was so cheap to produce then we’d be rocking around using fuel cells rather that using it to make petrol ? Enter Nuclear fusion…

#OnlyGlancedAtArticleButHydrogenThangStoodOut

molgrips
    Free Member

Engineers generally aren’t stupid, and they’ve spent more time thinking about it than we have. So one would hope that they have done a very simple back of an envelope calculation to find out if it’s going to be feasible.

allthepies
    Free Member

The engineer’s must be on to something revolutionary as the comments on the article seem to think it’s a crock 🙂 And I concur..

gonefishin
    Free Member

I’ll ask some people in the business, but I don’t think it’s that simple

Actually it pretty much would be. After all if we can drill the holes and pump the stuff on shore from the middle of the sea then what’s to stop the process being run in reverse (besides the non trivial task of making the oil!). You wouldn’t start with off shore of course but we’ve been doing it for decades with gas.

From a technical perspective it doesn’t seem to me to be that hard, although there will be some technical challenges, it’s more a matter of who pays for it that is the big question. That and the fact that simple injection of CO2 gas seems much easier.

matt_outandabout

A potentially useful method of storing energy (and that is a good thing) but not in any way shape or form is it an energy source and a very misleading headline.

^this

molgrips
    Free Member

After all if we can drill the holes and pump the stuff on shore from the middle of the sea then what’s to stop the process being run in reverse

Afaik pumping stuff into oil wells is straightforward, it was discussed a lot when carbon storage was in the news. Apparently some Norwegian fields already pump CO2 back down the hole to help get the rest of the oil out.

zokes
    Free Member

Wouldn’t it also be possible to make other petrochemical substitutes the same way? So plastics etc?

Possibly, Especially as few people seem to realise that when we run out of oil, we run out of plastic: something that would present much more of a challenge than fuelling cars some other way.

Then you could make crap, bury it when it gets thrown away, and bingo – sequestration.

You’d need to make a hell of a lot of ‘crap’ to make the slightest difference. Really, the answer is to stop digging up fossil fuels in the first place. They’re quite well sequestered in the first place.

bwaarp
    Free Member

This is what I wonder about in my more cynical moods – is it that people with the ability to think rationally go on to higher education, or is it that it’s possible to teach people to think rationally?

In other words, is it worth trying to get the loons to think?

Welcome to my world. I started considering many of my fellow humans as being no smarter than retarded chimpanzee’s with a bad case of the ‘superstition of the pigeon’ when I was about 13.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I would have thought it would be easier to combine C02 and Water together with substantial sums of energy to make Methane more easily than Petrol. I know it’s not energy dense enough for running cars and planes, but it’s much safer to handle and transport than hydrogen and as above we already have all the infrastructure in place…

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Petrol from thin air.’ is closed to new replies.