• This topic has 50 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 2 days ago by nickjb.
Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Petition to increase speed limit on electric bikes
  • Premier Icon martymac
    Subscriber

I’ve posted this before,
    I have an ebike, i had it hacked, it was fun for a few rides, but (and its a big but)
    It genuinely doesn’t improve the bike.
    It doesn’t improve the ride.
    It goes through the battery like nobody’s business.
    Once you start to go past 20mph or so, you can really start to feel the limitations of the suspension and brakes.
    There’s a world of difference between a racing snake doing 20mph, and a 20stone biffer (me)
    Cruising at the same speed.
    I would be against the limiter being set any higher than it already is.
    I’ve tried it, it’s not any better.

My sister, a middle aged woman with dodgy hips who doesn’t drive, has a Raleigh ebike she uses for the stuff most people drive cars for: commuting, shopping trips, visiting friends, going for a pub lunch on nice days. She loves the freedom her ebike gives her, and has no interest in hacking it or taking the piss. She did >3000km on it last year, more than many of you do on your stupidly expensive plastic dandyhorses. I’m a big fan of ebikes for this. People like the OP are going to wreck it for reasonable, considerate human beings like my sister. Selfish ****.

She would have more time with friends if she had 20mph assistance. I can lend her my bike if you want?

trail_rat

She would have more time with friends if she had 20mph assistance. I can lend her my bike if you want?

Would she ? After she got it into a situation where she could legally ride a hacked up ebike she probably be better off sticking to the legal 15.5mph.

Premier Icon seosamh77
    Subscriber

Ebikes are limited to 250 watts

No they aren’t.

Premier Icon tjagain
    Subscriber

yes they are – check the legislation. 250 w continuous output.

Premier Icon oldnpastit
    Subscriber

Could this be a trojan horse by the anti-cycling lobby?

Get lots of inexperienced cyclists riding around at 20mph, quite quickly get a load of injuries of both cyclists and pedestrians.

Solution? A test, license and registration plate for *all* bikes.

Premier Icon Jamze
    Subscriber

Didn’t realise that until recently you couldn’t ride them in Northern Ireland without insurance etc. They didn’t adopt the UK legislation.

Personally I don’t have an issue with the current boundary between electric bikes and S-pedelecs. Just odd we used kph rather than mph in UK legislation.

Out of interest had a look at some S-pedelecs. Would be very interested in what happens when you turn up at you local MOT testing centre with one! Some of the brakes are interesting – have switches for brake lights and they cut the motor when you put on the brakes.

Premier Icon Greybeard
    Subscriber

They didn’t adopt the UK GB legislation

FTFY

whitestone

Just odd we used kph rather than mph in UK legislation.

Maybe because the metric system is the legal system of measurement in the UK?

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash
    Subscriber

Could this be a trojan horse by the anti-cycling lobby?

Get lots of inexperienced cyclists riding around at 20mph, quite quickly get a load of injuries of both cyclists and pedestrians.

Funnily enough, my 17 year old made that point when we were talking about it

nickjb

It has certainly worked for cars, which are now totally accident free.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.