Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Petition to allow cyclist to use footpaths Please Sign !
  • scu98rkr
    Free Member

Please sign

Click Here

djflexure

done

B_Leach
    Free Member

sealed and signed.

weeksy

i just use them… signs are irrelevent.

chojin
    Free Member

Shurrup and sign it 🙂

pastcaring
    Free Member

yes

headfirst
    Free Member

The first e-petition I’ve ever signed! 🙂

scu98rkr
    Free Member

cool cheers guys it runs till August try and forward to as many places as you know. Ie local clubs,facebook etc etc etc

bspoked
    Free Member

Done

jambalaya
    Free Member

Bad idea.

Certain footpaths should be re-designated but it should be reviewed on a case by case basis and not be across the board.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Done.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Signed and shared – Even if it is a bad idea, the more people who sigh the more awareness the subject gets and hopefully it will be debated properly leading to changes allowing access to be more widespread.

pastcaring
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member
    Bad idea.

Certain footpaths should be re-designated but it should be reviewed on a case by case basis and not be across the board.

seems to work well in scotland….

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

What about motorbikes on Bridleways is there one for that????

mark85xc
    Free Member

How would you go about appealing for a particular footpath to be re-designated?

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Lets see how long it takes to get 100k signatures 🙂

Sancho
    Free Member

You speak to the land owner and ask for it to be designated a permissive (for cycles) path, or in the case of council owned land such as urban common, you can refer to other precedents where the land owner has classified cyclists with the same rights as walkers

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Signed and shared – Even if it is a bad idea, the more people who sigh the more awareness the subject gets and hopefully it will be debated properly leading to changes allowing access to be more widespread

I dont disagree but isnt this how most deals are done ?

Aim high and hope to agree on the middle ground ?

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Damn right! totally behind this.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

You speak to the land owner and ask for it to be designated a permissive (for cycles) path, or in the case of council owned land such as urban common, you can refer to other precedents where the land owner has classified cyclists with the same rights as walkers.

Obviously this works well im some areas but I just have a feeling if you contact some landlords in busy parts of the country it will just alert them to you and they’ll quickly get the fences going up so only walkers can access the land.

I did once contact a landowner.

There is a small ford here ->

Clickhere

It currently can be crossed by horse/car and there is a footpath on a small bridge next to it.

Would be a great commuting (not mtbing) route between the villages on the edge of Reading.

I suggested the footpath to the bridge should be rerouted and classified as a footpath/cycleway I also wrote that it should be down at the edge of the field so as not to disturb the horses. The land owner said not happening.

I contact the local council who said a small budget would be coming up for cycling improvements and would get back to me but never did.

what do you suggest Sandro ? I can forward you the emails.

I also started this petition.

click here

instanthit
    Free Member

done.

Trimix
    Free Member

Im quite happy riding footpaths as it is, I dont want to make a noise about it and risk making it actually illegal.

Do these sort of petitions ever work ?

mattjg
    Free Member

+1 jambalaya

It’s a good thing walkers have places to go where there is no other traffic at all. It’s safer and calmer.

I also think a backlash against the petition is possible and cyclists would end up with less not more.

As it is, on the whole, we all get along OK and everyone gets access. In a small country with 65 million plus peeps, we got on remarkably well.

As jambalaya says there may be places where individual review is sensible, go do it on a case by case basis. Where I ride, the balance is about right.

DFWAB **

** Don’t Fix What Ain’t Broke

Sancho
    Free Member

Id like to look at the emails if thats ok.

I’ll speak to the people Ive been working with and see if there is some line of reasong that might work.

Im a total pessimist on the e-petition thing, if a million people can be ignored about going to war, then 100,000 can be ignored far more easily.

Trimix
    Free Member

Are there any examples of these e-petittions working in the past ?

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Posted in the other thread we were arguing in 🙂

shedfull
    Free Member

Tried that. Surrey CC sent me this:

Unfortunately, at this time we do not have the funds available to bring the
    footpath up to standard for cyclists and other bridleway users as well as
    doing the associated legal processes to change the status.

What this standard is, I’ve no idea.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

tarmac!

Trimix
    Free Member

They will probably have to surface it so its useable in all weathers and remove any obstacles. So you will end up with that nice techy bit of singletrack being tared, smoothed and strightened.

I would just leave it as it is. Ride on with a cheery wave and adopt the cheeky trails advice.

For 99% of the time its fine.

Sancho
    Free Member

Shedfull that is a council misunderstanding of what their legal obligations are for the maintenance of a path.

You can get a footpath re-classified as permissive for cyclists with no requirement to maintain the path anymore than it is already.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Why? We have plenty of places to go anyway.
    I agre with Dobie above.

Trimix
    Free Member

Doesnt the council have to maintain footpaths ? Including the gates and fences etc ?

plop_pants
    Free Member

Big no from me. I think walkers should have quiet access to the countryside. Carting a bike over stile after stile doesn’t appeal to me anyway.

Sancho
    Free Member

It does have to maintain footpaths, but not to an extent beyond their existing state.
    They have to basically make them accessible, which means obstacles are removed, but not much more than that.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I had a briefly heated argument with a local recently – we started off loudly then buy the end of it she introduced herself with a name and hand shake and would say hello if she saw me again (after I explained about responsible natural MTB’ing)

Klunk
    Free Member

if the petition suceeds and is passed into law would it be only mountain bikes allowed ? and still an offence for hybrids and CX bikes etc. just asking like 😕

MrNutt
    Free Member

signed

Trimix
    Free Member

Some of the best bits of singletrack I ride are great just because of the obstacles, Id hate them to be removed, altered, smoothed.

I honestly dont think the petition will do anything, except raise some awareness which may count against us sadly.

GavinB

No, its landowners who are responsible for maintaining footpaths, whilst it becomes a local authority’s issue if it is then redesignated a bridleway.

So, unlikely to be a roaring success, as under the current rules, that then means the trail needs to be re-surfaced.

You could always look to rid England & Wales of the whole anachronistic system, and catch up with Scotland…

Bushwacked
    Free Member

When you lose access to your local trails you’ll understand why raising the profile of such causes is an important issue.

I personally don’t want to be restricted to bridleways, roads and trail centres.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Petition to allow cyclist to use footpaths Please Sign !’ is closed to new replies.