Petition to abolish VAT on cycle lights. Seems like a great idea to me!

Home Forum Bike Forum Petition to abolish VAT on cycle lights. Seems like a great idea to me!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Petition to abolish VAT on cycle lights. Seems like a great idea to me!
  • soma_rich

There not a luxury so why do we pay VAT?

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/55344

butcher

Because you should bloody well pay for the roads!!!

😉

mrmo

define a cycle light….

And i am being serious.

There are very very few legal lights for sale in the UK, the police may not pull you up for having an illegal light because you have something.

Just something to think about.

In the event of an accident insurance companies being as they are….

fr0sty125

Loads of issues relating to legality of lights and tax loopholes.

Because lights can be had so cheaply knocking VAT off will make sod all difference to their take-up? Idiots who ride at night with no lights havent made a conscious decision based on a cost benefit analysis and their financial circumstances, they’re just stupid.

There’s normally no VAT to pay on Chinese wowshine/veryfire/sobright/muchlight (or whatever the current flavour of the month is) setups everyone buys from Hong Kong on eBay or DX anyway

bencooper

It’s an interesting idea in theory, but unworkable in practice. What about bikes that come with lights? What about lights that are not compliant with the ISO standards? What about dynamo systems?

Premier Icon D0NK
    Subscriber

vat off road lights, ie led blinkers yeah good idea. VAT off 5000lumen superlights is taking the piss tho.

Premier Icon oldnpastit
    Subscriber

Remove VAT from brake pads as well. And pads and discs on cars.

And remove VAT from tyres. They’re not a luxury and if you don’t have them you will crash badly very quickly.

pdw

Aside from the fact that implementing this would be a nightmare, trying to define what is and isn’t a bike light, and the fact that lights good enough to be seen by are now so cheap that knocking 20% really doesn’t make much difference, how would you propose funding this tax cut?

There’s a broader argument to be made for removing/reducing VAT on bikes, given the huge health benefits. I guess that’s Cycle To Work.

There’s no VAT on Jaffa Cakes. And they ARE a luxury*

*for a given definition of luxury

Premier Icon D0NK
    Subscriber

And pads and discs on cars.

cars are luxury items and there’s absolutely no need to encourage driving.

bikeneil

What about removing vat from everything? Where’s that petition?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Petition to abolish VAT on cycle lights. Seems like a great idea to me!’ is closed to new replies.