Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Peter Fonda / Musical nostalgia
  • tjagain

Fondas death reminded me about Easy Rider and how much I loved it at the time so as a wee bit of nostalgia I have been listening to the soundtrack again. Much of it holds up really well ( unlike the film which is horribly dated)

This took me off down a musical nostalgia / country rock trip 😉 Stones, Byrds, Creedence clearwater revival, Greatful dead, Dr John, the Band etc I’d have made a good hippie – just a bit too young. Its astonishing to think that the hippie generation are in their 70s now – those who survived that is.

So where do you go for musical nostalgia? ( those of you not permanently stuck in the past that is)

Nostalgia – its not what it used to be!

perchypanther
    Free Member

So where do you go for musical nostalgia?

Spotify.

tjagain

Indeed spotify – but what songs PP?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Anything fom the late 80’s and early 90’s.

I have wildly varying tastes.

The first five random tracks on my Spotify playlist that i’ve just opened are:

International Bright Young Thing – Jesus Jones

Kisses on the Wind – Neneh Cherry

Werewolves of London – Warren Zevon

Street Tuff – Double Trouble feat., Rebel MC

Get the Funk Out – Extreme

redmex
    Free Member

Neil Young down by the river or maybe Harvest the album or even 4 strong winds then let Spotify take over if you have paid for it

kcal

Nostalgia — I guess that includes stuff that I came late to, that was around for ages before I heard it. Do you mean what bands – or where do I ‘go’? -oh, I see..

I had a heap of cassettes and now no means of playing them, but Apple Music allows me to recreate those one road trips around Scotland, or the concerts I’d go to.

Two or three basic parts to my nostalgia – stuff from school early years – e.g. Pink Floyd, Talking Heads, Genesis and the like.

stuff from university days – King Crimson, Blue Nile, Run Rig, Grateful Dead, Tangerine Dream

stuff from having a bit more freedom, income and time to do my own thing – flatmates as well – that was the big rocket in music for me, Waterboys, Elvis Costello, Cocteau Twins, Lloyd Cole and the ilk.

After that, expansion of music went in different directions, lot more classical, folk, traditions or new traditional music.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Mid sixties on for me. I listen to a lot of earlier blues, jazz and big band but sti reallylike the Nice, Traffic, Floyd, Yes, Stones, Beatles, Hendrix, Creedence, Airplane/Starship, Dead, Purple, Crimson … it would be probably be easier to list what I don’t like. That would be my sort if golden age.
    I’ve been running through my MP3s lately. Every 5 years or so I find the stuff that has fallen out of my memory and see what is going on. (I trimmed it down to 49,000 tracks a few months back).
    After having done that I was going to post a thread about Jon Anderson’s voice and how it is still pretty unique.

IHN

Street Tuff – Double Trouble feat., Rebel MC

Yeah, oh yeah.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Oh, speaking of Easy Rider, I once spent a pleasant evening eating, drinking and chatting with one of the New Orleans prositutes from the film. She was over here doing her “other” job.

tjagain

“go to” in a musical sense.

I do go all sorts of different places and eras. that late 60s / early 70 hippie music is a part of my early youth. The first song I really remember is “blackberry way” – the Move which would be 69ish? I wouldn’t have known the Byrds etc from when they were first released but certainly in the 70s I knew them. I saw Easy Rider for the first time mid 70s

Two tone will always take me to the late 70s.

The opening chords of pretty vacant is another memory trigger

The one thing I just cannot cope with now that I was a big fan off is prog rock. ELP, King Crimson etc – just no! sounds so dated and pretentious

Roots reggae, Dub and early dancehall will always be with me – again got into that in the late 70s early 80s – probably because the clash thought it cool.

Paul Van Dyke – for an angel will always be associated with great parties in the 90s

Music is such a strong trigger for the emotions. Hear a tune and it takes me back to when I first heard it.

Jeezo I’m getting old 🙁

DezB
    Free Member

Soundtrack to Once Upon a Time In Hollywood has some rare gems from that era – a few I’d never heard before too.
    Quentin is pretty good for retro soundtracks. Not that I’d be caught dead listening to any old shit 😆

vinnyeh

I saw Easy Rider at the cinema in the mid 70’s on a double bill with ‘On Any Sunday’ of all things. Must have been about 16 at the time, was completely into bikes, albeit mx, parents had the soundtrack and I had really looked forward to seeing it- major shock to an unprepared teenager kind of expecting an upbeatish road/buddy movie. Hard to believe now, but I guess that in those days it would have actually been quite difficult to find out what a movie is actually about when its on re-release…

Grew up in NZ, and 70s-80s homegrown indie/uni/pub music is my goto nostalgia fix- largely driven by the rise of Napster at the turn of the century I think, made it possible to listen again to music from my youth that was pretty much impolssible to find elsewhere.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Hard to believe now, but I guess that in those days it would have actually been quite difficult to find out what a movie is actually about

I miss those days. I saw The Great Wall a couple of years back with no idea of the plot. Came as big a surprise as Dusk ’til Dawn’s plot twist. And I didn’t know about that either…
    The epic trailers give too much away these days.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Talking of musical nostalgia…..40 yrs this December since this…..I still get the fizz over the opening chords:

tjagain

Good call – that has memories for me! Hitchhiking down to london to visit friends and it was on the radio all the time!

cinnamon_girl

Enjoyed last week’s Woodstock documentary on BBC4, it was followed by Hendrix performance there which was superb.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Peter Fonda / Musical nostalgia’ is closed to new replies.