Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Pet trailers
  • ThePilot
    Free Member

Anybody got any experiences of using one?
    I’m a bit torn between the Doggyride Mini and the almost three times as expensive Burley Tail Wagon.

Will be used for mostly shortish (a few miles), canal path-type rides.
    Dog is a 9kg terrier.

Thanks for any replies 🙂

monde
    Free Member

Does the dog come with legs? Save yourself £300 if it does.

ThePilot
    Free Member

Now when I said thanks for any replies, I didn’t necessarily mean those of a completely pathetically puerile nature.
    If anybody has got anything worthwhile to add, I’d be grateful.

funkmasterp

I reckon you’re going to get a fair few more replies similar in nature.

Is the dog old and knackered? If not, then I agree with monde. Dogs are pretty much designed for running and walking. Perhaps you could carry it in a purse? When my lab stopped being able to walk I took him out in a wheelbarrow full of cushions.

ThePilot
    Free Member

I reckon you’re going to get a fair few more replies similar in nature.

Why should that be?
    I’ve obviously got my reasons for asking.
    I’m struggling a bit with making a decision, haven’t been able to find the answer elsewhere online and thought I’d try here.

funkmasterp

Have you spent much time on here? Daft and absurd answers to questions are pretty much a given 🙂

Does your dog have a medical condition meaning it’s unable to walk?

km79
    Free Member

I haven’t even seen one never mind used one before, but if you are only going a few short miles it may be cheaper looking at second hand cargo trailers and strapping a dog crate/cage to it. Should be easier to sell on as well if the need arose.

franksinatra

How about roller skates and a tow rope? Small dog means you might get away with one skate. Them you have a spare. You could buy a ferret to travel in that one.

Awezums

franksinatra

Now when I said thanks for any replies, I didn’t necessarily mean those of a completely pathetically puerile nature.

You must be new here?

mattbee

Can’t help but as the owner of a dog with an enlarged heart, collapsed discs and arthritis in rear legs, hips and front ankles I am interested. He used to love coming out with me but is best kept to mooching along for 30 min at a time nowadays.

ThePilot
    Free Member

@ funkmasterp
    No she can walk just fine. But that’s the problem, she walks too well. Will go out for hours at a time if given the chance but has to be limited to sensible length walks (on the advice of a vet and physio) due to her age (12) and the fact that she has a little arthritis in her back legs.

I like to take her on ‘exciting’ walks and that means we have to drive to the good areas. Just wondered if I could cycle instead.

@ km79
    Thanks. Will look into it.

@franksinatra
    No. It’s also possible that I have a slightly more developed sense of humour than you.

@mattbee
    Have you tried any supplements for the arthritis?
    Mine has improved since I’ve been giving her this
    http://www.ace-canine.com/flex_sprinkle.html

bearnecessities

The amazon reviews of the doggyride mini are pretty glowing, just in case you hadn’t spotted them.

Rover’s rickshaw review

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

A chap near me uses a Bob Yak with a fabric cage instead of a baggage, er, bag.
    It seems to work well. Dog runs free across the commons, but, at a whistle , jumps in for the road sections, hanging his head out to let his ears flap around in the breeze. (Little cockerpoo).

ThePilot
    Free Member

Thanks bear, will have a look.

Thanks also suburbanreuben. Will have a look at that one too. That’s exactly the sort of thing I want to do with mine although she’s as stubborn as a mule so might take more than a whistle to get her in 🙂

bearnecessities

Balls, I put the wrong link in above post.

EDIT: I’m struggling here – every time I try to put a link in that’s for 141 reviews, the hyperlink then takes to a version with 3 reviews…

EDIT: Right – copy and paste the below, otherwise it redirects you to the UK site for reviews.

What a bloody car crash of a post.

https://www.amazon.com/DoggyRide-Mini-Trailer-Spring-Green/dp/B0010LNOQU/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

funkmasterp

No she can walk just fine. But that’s the problem, she walks too well. Will go out for hours at a time if given the chance but has to be limited to sensible length walks

I know how hard that can be and unfortunately I have to limit ours to ten minutes. I wish there was an easy solution, but with a 13 year old Newfoundland / Bernese cross options are limited. I used to pick her up. place her in the car boot and drive to the forest. Getting her in and out is hard going though.

Is there any way to demo different models, see which one suits?

km79
    Free Member

This is the kind of thing I would make up. Might not look as nice as the fabric ones but looks more sturdy.

http://www.tonystrailers.com/dog/

[IMG]http://i65.tinypic.com/axmp3s.jpg[/IMG]

Oh and you’ll be glad your dog is only 9kg!

ThePilot
    Free Member

Ah, sorry to hear funkmasterp. I’m sure your dog enjoys what he/she can do. Like you say, you’re a bit stuck for options.
    A demo is a good idea, thanks for that.

Thanks for the links too bear and km79.
    Should be able to sort something out 🙂

shipton47
    Free Member

We have tail wagon we upgraded after having a cheaper one definitely much better but probably not worth all that extra. However would buy another one if needed to. Used it on bike and for running with, had a old lab till a few weeks ago to get him too and from whilst the other one ran.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Pet trailers’ is closed to new replies.