Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • pet insurance
  • philconsequence
    Free Member

any recommendations? 🙂

Rockape63
    Free Member

used to use morethan, but they increased the excess considerably. Now use Tesco.

Check the small print….they do vary.

BoardinBob

M&S paid out for us recently with no problems. £350 claim less the £70 excess. Vet filled in the forms, sent them to M&S who text us to tell us they’d received the claim and the cheque came through the letterbox the next day. No complaints at all from me.

br
    Free Member

self insure

hp_source

We’re with Argos (through a moneysupermarket search). They’ve been great so far with any claims.

All I would say is aim to get ‘lifetime’ cover on your pet, this will be helpful if it happens to have any ongoing conditions, some basic pet policies will stop covering conditions at policy renewal, lifetime cover should prevent this happening… saved my folks a fortune on a dog a few years back.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

M&S here. Seemed to be the best payout for premiums for us

peachos
    Free Member

petplan coz they gave us a few months free when we picked rescued the cats. not had to use them, mind.

bruk

Get life-time cover. Check small print for little odd clauses, some collect every lunar month so you pay more often. Google the company you decide on for complaints. They will all have some but some will have pages.

Speak to your vet re any rules they have regarding certain insurance companies.

Karinofnine

Missy was insured with Animal Friends. Very good service indeed. The two new dogs came with a free month from Petplan but their quote to continue cover was double Animal Friends. I had already decided not to insure, I will save the premium instead. By the time I paid the premium plus the vet’s charge for filling in the form and the excess it’s all rather expensive. Anyway I was sick of the vet going ‘got insurance? Kerching! Let’s try this, and this, and this’.
    Animal Friends though, if you are going to insure, I recommend them unreservedly.

philconsequence
    Free Member

thank you guys… lifetime tip is a great one!

think we’d rather be insured than not considering the dog will be coming from a rescue, the dog we’re going to visit on saturday came to rescue from a pound in Ireland so very little history, better safe than sorry i think

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Reminds me. I need to shop around and get something else cheaper – Petplan this year for one of our cats is over £170. Seems steep to insure a healthy young mog thats never had any health problems…

peachos
    Free Member

hmmmm, think the Mrs has a new job after this – comparing the pet insurance market!

jambalaya
    Free Member

We have dog insurance, from memory the lifetime claim limit is about the same as the premiums over the expected life of the dog. Personally I thought it was/is a waste of money but is is the Mrs’s dog (even if it is “my” money <duck flying object> )

ThePinkster

Best cover I found this year was with Direct Line.

bruk

Animal friends are cheaper. However their cheapest policy states it has a limit of 3k but it is actually £500 per condition. Know several people caught out by this as they thought they had cover of 3k.

As always read the small print.

DezB
    Free Member

Find em on confused.com – always worked for me.

MrsTricky
    Free Member

Petplan have paid out over £25k for our 10 year old lab over the years (4 major ops plus ongoing medication). They are very easy to deal with, though not the cheapest.

As others have said, the life cover option (whatever it’s called, covers an injury/disease that the pet has had in one year, in future years) has been good for us.

We also found that our local vet hospital will only deal with certain insurance companies (so if your pet had an op you would have to pay up-front then try to claim back). A cruciate ligament op can be more than 7k!

Our local vet claims for medication (glucosamine and anti-inflammatories) from Petplan direct so I don’t even have to pay up-front for that.

MrsT

philconsequence
    Free Member

cheers mrstricky 🙂

good to know!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘pet insurance’ is closed to new replies.