Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Perth Fair City Enduro
  • geoffj

The boy wants to do it.
    I need to chaperone.
    What do I need to know?

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Its in Perth. Its not too difficult but has a bit of climbing to it. Its a really nice set of trails, though the sign in and chip collection stuff is a PITA, hopefully they will have fixed it.

if there is anything specific you’d like answered I’ll try my best.

geoffj

Thanks YoKaiser

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Parking is good, right next to the sign in area and in the middle of town. A very short walk will take you for a 2nd brekkie if you’ve started early.

BoardinBob

Cracking day out. Nice flowy trails. Nothing too mental. Maybe about 14 miles and 3,000ft

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I quite fancy this too, always looks pretty chilled and good fun. Never ridden the area either.

tom.nash

Always a good, fun event that isn’t a pseudo downhill race!

BoardinBob

fun event that isn’t a pseudo downhill race!

Perfect description

fifeandy
    Free Member

In two minds every year about this one.
    Looks like a nice mellow way to try a first enduro.
    But never manage to look past the negative of a drive and an entry fee for a 90min ride.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Come on Andy, I’m up for it, first wee taste of enduro for you. You can always go for a ride after to justify the drive.

And it won’t be 90 mins, queues and chats etc make it more of a day.

doubledunter
    Free Member

Entered since year 1, never had a bad day out yet, its just got better each year 😀

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

I’ve also looked at this a few times but never actually done it! Still some time to get fit too….

mikeep
    Free Member

Great event. Sign on wasn’t too bad last year.

Great drifty trails if it’s dry.

geoffj

Roll call for Saturday
    In the 9:55 wave of starts
    The weather looks its going to do the usual
    The boy will be on a scott genius, I’ll be on the turbo levo to chaperone
    Say hello!

Northwind

Did it a couple of years ago, it was ace. Also a fine chance to see pro enduro racers cheating up close and personal on the final junior kickstart stage 😆

speedstar

Anyone have a space going for this? Meant to enter but didn’t in time and have the weekend off 🙁

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Best of luck Geoff and Jr.

legend
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    Did it a couple of years ago, it was ace. Also a fine chance to see pro enduro racers cheating up close and personal on the final junior kickstart stage

#didntbreakthetape

geoffj

Well, that was interesting. Managed to complete all 6 stages, which was all I was really hoping for, the boy managed to stack badly on stage 2 and had to bring into play the spare bike. It was steep, slippy and rooty – fun though (mostly).

sillyoldman

That was ace. First two stages were hilariously slimy, and after that they were amazing. Top day out.

legend
    Free Member

Yup first two were ridiculous 🙂

Good wee day out

BoardinBob

Brilliant day as always. Slippy as hell and I rode very tentatively but enjoyed it from start to finish. Nice new additions to previous years.

Only one slight disappointment today…

There was a guy there who was riding with his young teenage son. The father was on an eBike and wasn’t the most skillful rider but he was out there riding with his boy which is great.

At the bottom of stage 4, there were a crowd of what can only be described as absolute arseholes (and if it wasn’t for the swear filter I’d use a stronger word) who were laughing at the guy, screeching “EEEEEEEEEEEEE” at him, and shouting that he was shit.

Well done lads. Real big men. You weren’t so lairy when the guy dropped his bike down and challenged you all saying “Why am I shit?”. You suddenly played the “we’re only joking card”.

We rode round with the guy for a bit and told him not to bother with you all.

Enjoy being awesome 🙄

doubledunter
    Free Member

Another superb day, gets better every year

Brilliant day as always. Slippy as hell and I rode very tentatively but enjoyed it from start to finish. Nice new additions to previous years.

Only one slight disappointment today…

There was a guy there who was riding with his young teenage son. The father was on an eBike and wasn’t the most skillful rider but he was out there riding with his boy which is great.

At the bottom of stage 4, there were a crowd of what can only be described as absolute arseholes (and if it wasn’t for the swear filter I’d use a stronger word) who were laughing at the guy, screeching “EEEEEEEEEEEEE” at him, and shouting that he was shit.

Well done lads. Real big men. You weren’t so lairy when the guy dropped his bike down and challenged you all saying “Why am I shit?”. You suddenly played the “we’re only joking card”.

We rode round with the guy for a bit and told him not to bother with you all.

Enjoy being awesome

^^^This, I witnessed this, absolutely pathetic 😡

spooky211
    Free Member

Thoroughly enjoyed that, it never fails to amuse – enough technicality for more experienced riders but easy enough for the less experienced guys/girls as well. Only minor complaint would be the dibing in and dibing out, lost a fair amount of time as people in front fumbled about trying to dib out – every other enduro these days is automatic.

Seriously crap chat that BoardinBob, glad the guy had the confidence to confront them though – they must’ve felt like right d!cks.

dmorts

geoffj – Member
    Roll call for Saturday
    In the 9:55 wave of starts
    The weather looks its going to do the usual
    The boy will be on a scott genius, I’ll be on the turbo levo to chaperone

BoardinBob – Member
    ……………..

Hopefully this wasn’t geoffj!?

BoardinBob

Actually could well be. The father was definitely on a Spesh ebike and the son was on a bright yellow hardtail

geoffj

It was me.
    Junior borked a brake on his own bike on stage 2, so was on my hardtail (the yellow spesh fuse) after that.

BB hit the nail on the head with the sentiment, but they were actually chanting ‘cheat, cheat, cheat…..’
    As the timed sections were all downhill, the weight of the bloody thing in the gloop meant that it was more a hinderance than an advantage. Hence my adrenaline and frustration fuelled question back to them about how I was a cheat – I should have just ignored them.

You know what you’re dealing with when their final retort was ‘it’s just banter’

It’s just a shame that junior had to witness it – despite being a strapping 6 footer, he’s only 13 and seeing his dad being abused made him want to abort. We didn’t though and both finished all timed stages without further incident.

I underestimated just how seriously some folk take these events; but the majority were very friendly despite that.

Thanks for the kind words on here and on the day.

gwurk
    Free Member

Ah “heckling”?

legend
    Free Member

Mid-race bike swapping is cheating though 😉

dab

@geoffj

I was the starter Marshall on stage 4

We had a quick chat about e bikes as I ride a Merida e One Sixty

Please don’t let this put you off, 99.9% of the riders and volunteers at Aaron’s events are there for a good day , plenty light hearted banter and good times

Shouting cheat – cheat – cheat is just a step too far and I can wholeheartedly tell you that as a Marshall of I’d witnessed that I’d have been over for a quiet chat with the guys – that’s not on at our events

Just for the record I’m riding at Falkirk with my 18y/o son and I’ll be on my e bike , be great to join you on the line

Dave B

Northwind

No chance it was supposed to be goodnatured?

At the EWS I got told I jump like a fanny by about 30 people, but to be fair, I’d just done a jump like a fanny, so I didn’t really think my case’d stand up in court

andyecc
    Free Member

Thoroughly enjoyed the day. My first Enduro and I was utterly rubbish compared to most of the other riders but I reckon I had as much fun as anyone there.
    Will definitely be back next year. Hopefully with more appropriate tyres!
    Geoffj – that sounds properly rubbish. Don’t let idiots like that stop you getting out with your lad again. I was really impressed at seeing several families doing the event together. Might see if I can get my lad interested for next year!

geoffj

Thanks Dave B I’ve signed up me and the boy for Falkirk Funduro, so it will be good to see you there.

[/quote]No chance it was supposed to be goodnatured?

There’s always a chance, but unlikely and ill-judged if it was, given I was with my son.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

As above, mibbe just a bit of fun? Heckling is part of racing, some of the DH banter could easily be taken the wrong way.

dab

@Geoffj

Brilliant I’m glad I’ll have at least somebody to aim to match on a level playing field lol

I’m sure your son will love the night stages too

Please reach out to Aaron as we want to make this right

tpbiker
    Free Member

Point one – Its obviously not cheating if in the rules, but I’m surprised that ebikes are allowed in enduros. I absolutely see why its not any advantage on the downs, but I would have thought all motor assist would be banned as fitness is meant to be part of the event as well no?. Would you be allowed to ride something like that in say the king of the hill or the EWS? Genuine question btw, I’m not having a moan in the slightest.

Point 2 – I agree, they were total xxxxs..Glad you put them in their place.

dab

@tp biker

I’m sure there is / will be an e bike category for any events

I know the Hairy Coo last month had one and a fat bike cat too ….. ( maybe get a 1min bonus as it’s hard enough spinning up those 4″ floaters )

I’m just taking part for fun , for myself and I really don’t see me being any threat at all to the speedy folk

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

He wasnt racing as I read it, only chaperoning his son tp.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Cool, as I say it doesn’t bother me in the least, its meant to be a bit of fun afterall.

I was just interested in the rules.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I reckon it was just meant as fun. If they really thought you were cheating they’d have kept quite then went online to have a good moan behind the safety of their keyboard.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Perth Fair City Enduro’ is closed to new replies.