Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Persuade me I dont need another bike!
  • soma_rich
    Free Member

Got a nice little bonus this month, enough to get a 29er hardtail which is what I would ride if I had a choice. Now I have my Proflex with 5 inches of travel for pretty much everything from Enduros to Wales, and I have an old Kona I use for commuting.

I would ride more locally (New Forest) if I had a 29er as I would enjoy riding it more than the Proflex or Kona. But I do need to save the money and dont think I REALLY need it.

donsimon
    Free Member

YOU DON’T NEED ANOTHER BIKE! (my work here is done).

getonyourbike
    Free Member

You need another bike! 😈

barn
    Free Member

The only way to know if you don’t need another bike is to buy one.

soma_rich
    Free Member

ooh Barn now thats an interesting idea. I could buy one and set a usage quota and if I dont use it enough in the first month just sell it on…. hmmmm

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You don’t NEED any bikes at all.

But I can’t say if you WANT one or not…..sorry! 🙂

sefton
    Free Member

I think a rigid SS 29er would be a good addition for the coming winter! 😈

bol

Buy used, then if you don’t use it you don’t lose much. That’s what I always tell myself – any my family.

honourablegeorge
    sefton
    Free Member

job done – next customer please 😆

foxyrider
    Free Member

No! I’m getting one and so you of course need one as that will make me feel less guilty 😉

slaidlaw81
    Free Member

you really don’t need a new bike!

unless it’s a bargain that you can’t refuse!!!

thomthumb
    Free Member

would ride more locally (New Forest) if I had a 29er

stop kidding yourself. it’s just not true. 😀

shortcut

It seems clear to me that you do need a new bike and a 29er would make a big difference to your life.

DO IT!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

*other half mode*

Why do you need ANOTHER bike? Don’t you have enough already?

*/other half mode*

sefton
    Free Member

a 29er would change your life dude!

seriously if you can put a convincing argument and get the misses to buy it (without bullshitting) I think it’s justified 😉

but we all know you dont need it 😆

so I guess its a case of do you want it enough? life’s short dude and a grand will get spunked quickly on nothing (especially if the wife gets involved) plus its your bonus – bonuses are treats for doing well aren’t they????

hugor
    Free Member

Buy the bike. You totally need it.
    You won’t rest until you buy it anyhow, so you may as well just get it and move on.
    The financial hit from a bike purchase doesn’t last long but the pleasure from it lasts years.
    Just do it and post up a pic while its still clean!

soma_rich
    Free Member

OK anyone selling an 18″ inbred 29er?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

On One are, surprisingly… 😉

soma_rich
    Free Member

On-One ones are in gopping colours though.

40mpg

I’ve just bought a new one (so I can ride more locally – New Forest). On these grounds you DEFINITELY need one.

(mine is an on-one too, delivery 2.46-3.46pm today. Eeeee!)

twebeast
    Free Member

The more bikes you have, the more you have to spend upgrading them all.

Your carrying capacity for bikes is determined by how much you earn, how little you spend on anything else and how well you can hide upgrades from the other half.

For me, I’ve found my boundary sits somewhere between two and three. At three I’m finding keeping all of them maintained and fitted with shiny new bits is killing me.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

You need a second dedicated trail bike that has 50% cross-over with the other one; the Kona commuter doesn’t count. The reasons are:

1. When one bike is broken, you can ride the other one and it feels OK

2. On any day, you can pick either bike as suits your fancy, season, or intended trail. This enriches your life considerably.

3. You can ride the cheap-to-maintain bike when the trails are filthy, saving you time and money maintaining the posh bike.

Sorry!

honourablegeorge

2. On any day, you can pick either bike as suits your fancy, season, or intended trail. This enriches your life considerably

This is true. I have a weird notion that my Soul is a more “just go for a ride” bike than my Spicy. Despite them both being, well, you know – bikes.

DezB
    Free Member

A 29er?
    Weirdo.

Aren’t you saving for a wedding or something? Put the money towards that. Or a mountain bike instead of one of them hybrid things.

senorj

Why can you “ride more locally” on a 29 er.
    Is there a bylaw restricting usage? 😀

buy the bike ,you’ve probably earned the bonus.
    Don’t mind me I’m too short for a 29er. ha.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Your carrying capacity for bikes is determined by how much you earn, how little you spend on anything else and how well you can hide upgrades from the other half.

You see.. for me:

I spend money on virtually nothing other than cycling and don’t have an other half.

Hence, why I currently own 7 very nice bikes (and now have another on its way.)

I have a problem, I’m not denying it.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Why can you “ride more locally” on a 29 er.

Well, it’s not a proper bike. And Proper Bikes aren’t allowed on New Forest bridleways…… 😛

soma_rich
    Free Member

Probably should go in the Wedding pot. I would ride a 29er more as it would be much more fun on the rubbish trails in the Forest rather than hauling my bike ProFlex around.

slowjo
    Free Member

Just buy one and worry about it later.

If you hate the On One colours just get some sun glasses or just ride in the dark! 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Probably should go in the Wedding pot.

Heehee! I win! the guilt trip 😀

sefton
    Free Member

bottled it with talk like that! 🙄

let me tell you if you don’t take a stand before marriage there’s no hope – you’ll have a long “whipped” life my friend!!!

hugor
    Free Member

One of my current bikes outlived my previous marriage. I’m sure it gave me more pleasure too!

madhouse

Keep you and the missus happy, split it between wedding and a used 29er.

DaRC_L

Probably should go in the Wedding pot.

Is this TOWIE or an MTB forum!
    I could understand it going in the honeymoon pot but weddings are usually over-priced and provide poor marginal returns compared to a new bike. I should know I’ve had 2 😉 First cost £10k+ it was all about the dresses/the day & the marriage didn’t last. The second cost £600 & we’re still going strong….

Buy another bike.

mt
    Free Member

you do not need a another bike you just think that you do. you are just trying to justify your consumrist behavior to distract you from what you should really be doing. Will ownership of another thing make you happy? Are you trying to justify your existance with purchases in a vain attempt to be happy. Why not go in the opposite direction, shun further purchases, reduce your ownership of stuff. Get out of this self serving consumer trap, give all you have to those that need it. You will find then what you truly need.

anto164
    Free Member

Get it now.

With the way new bikes are costing these days, the equivalent in 2 years time will be 2x the price.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Get it now.

With the way new bikes are costing these days, the equivalent in 2 years time will be 2x the price.

Sound advice that can be backed up with statistics (“have you noticed the increase in fuel dear? Well, logistics affect everything…”).

Like it.

Worked for me recently too. 😀

Anna-B
    Free Member

would enjoy riding it more than the Proflex

Can I be controversial and suggest that you get rid of this and get one bike you enjoy riding? One that you can take to Wales and ride in the NF, perhaps…..?

😉

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

“Can I be controversial and suggest that you get rid of this and get one bike you enjoy riding? One that you can take to Wales and ride in the NF, perhaps…..?”

Ha! Harsh, but possibly fair. 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Persuade me I dont need another bike!’ is closed to new replies.