Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)
  • Personalised name decals – cool or egotastic?
  • metalheart
    Free Member

Many moons ago I got a custom road bike built (by Charlie Ralph for those in the know).

He put my name on it (on the top tube). I thought it looked pretty gash if I’m honest.

imnotverygood

Oh dear. I’m going to have to ‘fess up and say that I’ve got one on my road bike. 😳 In my defence it is custom steel, and the man who built it seemed to take it as a given that my name would be on it, so I was too polite to say otherwise. I’ve always had a few misgivings about it being there, but on the other hand, the bike is not set up as a racing bike, so there is no danger that I look like I’m trying to be a pro.

EDIT & judging by the post above it does seem that this does appear to be the norm in certain traditional frame building circles.

rusty90
    Free Member

this does appear to be the norm in certain traditional frame building circles

A world of difference between having your name hand painted by the frame builder and buying a sticker off ebay

40mpg

Example here.

But given how common these are getting, its probably necessary 😀

metalheart
    Free Member

A world of difference between having your name hand painted by the frame builder and buying a sticker off ebay

I would have to agree with this. And, yeah, it does seem traditional.

But then I would wouldn’t i…

Shibboleth
    Free Member

It’s also pretty much the norm in roadbike racing circles… For the reasons I mentioned earlier.

Each to their own, they’re a nice little present to give to a cycling friend or relative, 5 or 6 quid off ebay and fit perfectly in a birthday or Christmas card… What’s not to love?

coogan
    Free Member

I have no idea why you’d want to put your name on your bike. Pointless, stupid and, as already mentioned, = bellend.

sparrowlegs78
    Free Member

I’m getting a sticker made for my giant anthem 29er that says “powered by aspergers”
    Sod normality it is so normal!

Caz xxx

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I have no idea why you’d want to put your name on your bike.

So that when you’re racing, people know who you are. Without it, you’re just a anonymous name on a results sheet, with it, you make far more friends. It’s nice to be sociable…

ianv
    Free Member

So that when you’re racing, people know who you are. Without it, you’re just a anonymous name on a results sheet, with it, you make far more friends. It’s nice to be sociable…

A cooler alternative would be to win. 🙂

Haze

I am not a number!

fasthaggis

I have ordered some stickers just to be more non STW 😆

scaredypants

I was told of a bloke at a (car) trackday once. He was in a group of lads from a particular club but where they all had “Bloggs [union jack] AB-ve” or whatever on their romper suits, he had “bloggsy – shagger” written on his

I quite liked that

So that when you’re racing, people know who you are

I have my name down the flank of all my shirts, skystyle
    Turns a few heads at work, believe me 8)

binners

I ‘m going to buy a road bike, and start turning up at race meetings, with other peoples names on my frame. Then I ‘m going to insist I ‘m them in a Life of Brian “I ‘m Brian!!! And so ‘s my wife” stylee

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

I don’t mind the little sneaky ones, especially if you’ve actually put a bit of time in so it doesnt look shit.

geoffj

I’ve had some little strava mountain top stickers knocked up which I put on the top tube. How many is determined by how many KOMs I’m rocking in a Cav sprint finish stylee.

DT78
    Free Member

Hmmmm guilty…. On roadie and xc race bike. Not on the dh bike or hacks. Part of my “finishing” of the bike. I like personalising stuff. I’m probably not fast enough to pull it off tbh, but who cares it’s all part of the fun

eshershore
    Free Member

not a fan at all – very egotistical

just my opinion, though..if it makes the owner happy then why not?

mattsccm
    Free Member

As a young road club member in the ’80’s I often saw riders names on the bikes. It was the done thing. I suppose in those days we all rode unique bikes and it was just part of the game.

soobalias
    Free Member

liking the powered by asparagus option ^

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

This bunch of goons have their forum names on the backs of their shirts. What of it?

camo16
    Free Member

It’s weird. I never used to think of such things. Used just to ride for laughs. Now, I’ve just spent the last 40 minutes trying to source the right Columbus decals. Is this something that happens as you get older?

postierich
    Free Member

Names on your first bike its a

I like my bike by Richard Munro, on Flickr

scotroutes

Yay!!!

sparrowlegs78
    Free Member

Asparagus, arseburgers! Those are poo compared to the might of the Aspie on a bike!
    No hill too steep, no downhill too gnar! We just flap, stim and avoid eye contact while being ace 😀

tmb467
    Free Member

Doing up an old clockwork Orange for a mate who likes his pies

Calling it the Farrell Piechaser

I reckon he’ll appreciate that

pop-larkin
    Free Member

+1 for changing your name to match your bike

Signed
    Cove stiffee

lilchris
    Free Member

my giant anthem 29er

[quote]Sod normality it is so normal![/quote]Teh ironing!

ps. Love my Giant’s 😉

Northwind

I got a bunch of these toptube stickers made up

IMG_1771 by Northwindlowlander, on Flickr

TiRed

Since I can never remember names, I find it pretty useful on a club ride. I don’t, however have one of my own. Now if I WON Froome’s bike, i’d be happy to leave the sticker on.

njee20
    Free Member

Now if I WON Froome’s bike, i’d be happy to leave the sticker on.

Ah no, I’d be putting either my own name or electrical tape over the top. Having someone else’s name on there is really daft.

mrmoofo

I guess it all depends what your name is?

kimbers

in the Alps last year there were a group of lads on mostly TR450s i think, each had a sticker on their top tubes with their nick names, blood type and possibly some other details getting the lifts up

later saw them all standing around a steep rocky chute eyeing it up looking a bit timid, So I just barrelled down it on my 6 year old stickerless Stinky*

*Im no riding god either and I only rode it because I was following my far more competent/fearless mate and indeed I got bounced all over the place and only just made the turn at the bottom

D0NK

think everyone should have their forum name on the top tube on forum rides. So much easier to spot those who you’ve had arguments with 🙂

I’m tempted, haven’t bothered yet but I have been known to take a permanent marker to my polished mottled bare ali frame before.

faustus

Normal stickers are only just tolerable, but it’s just tragic having your name somewhere.

sputnik
    Free Member

My bike, however, my name isn’t Jake and I ain’t no snake 🙂

bigdaddy

Guilty and proud!! Always had Big Daddy on my bikes – a little bit of personalised is cool. Not bothered what others opinions on it are – that’s not cool… 😉

[/url][/img]

oliverracing

Can be cool if you built the frame yourself.

Phew – guess I’m allowed to keep mine then 8)

MadPierre

It’s always been cool to be uncool

cookeaa

I’m just waiting for people to start applying little KOM stickers like this:

on the TT, for every imaginary internet race they win, that will definitely let us identify the bellends…

Personalised name, or worse yet an internet forum user name sticker on your just bike look **** and tell others your a bit of an egotist, but it’s your bike you can have what you like on it, most people won’t say anything, but they will be quietly judging you… 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Personalised name decals – cool or egotastic?’ is closed to new replies.