Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)
  • Personalised name decals – cool or egotastic?
  • camo16
    Free Member

So, I’ve just bought a new (to me) road bike and now I’m thinking about some pimpage. What’s the consensus about personalised name decals? Do you have them? Can they be cool?

dabble
    Free Member

nickname- possibly (if its a cool one (i’ll be the judge of that)).
    fullname/ initial and last – poser, unless your really really really good and sponsored and all that crap.

IMO.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Well cool….for bellends

sharkattack

In the same category as personalised number plates.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Can they be cool?

No.

ton

proper uncool

everyone
    Free Member

Can be cool if you built the frame yourself.

camo16
    Free Member

Eek! Style disaster narrowly avoided! Thanks chaps.

Cheers,
    A Bellend

IA

Not cool.

Ask yourself this:

“Do i need to help my mechanic find my bike out of the rack of identical ones beside the team bus?”

If the answer is “yes” crack on…

hora
    Free Member

Can be cool if you built the frame yourself.

+1 the only time unless you are actually a Pro and its one of your team bikes.

Would you also put your name on your car numberplate?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

What about if its not your real name but a cool sounding name like Tony’The Laser’Dorado or Mitch Funkbaum?

camo16
    Free Member

@ hora, probably not – but that’s mainly because my numberplate reads something unfortunately close to WKUUR… So it wouldn’t be the best personal promotion.

sobriety
    Free Member

Mitch Funkbaum

I’m getting that laser cut into my next set of discs

rusty90
    Free Member

Almost as cool as having a No Fear sticker on the back of your pimped up Saxo.

brooess
    Free Member

Pretty much renders it unsellable without a respray, surely?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

understated is always cool, sticking your name on your frame is not understated therefore it can’t be cool.

The only exception is when the name exists for practical purposes such as a team bikes, can’t have Richie Porte and Chris Froome trying to work out which bike belongs to who based on scratches and scuffs.

trail_rat
    Free Member

stickers peel off afterwards but IA has it in a nutshell.

camo16
    Free Member

not even in an understated font like zapfino 😉

rocketman
    Free Member

In a similar category to having rally-style driver/navigator names on the rear windows of your Focus Sport

Or in fact your name on anything unless you are 7 years old

skaifan
    Free Member

It shows that you are an “individual” when out on club runs in matching team spandex.

zilog6128

Or in fact your name on anything unless you are 7 years old

I believe there’s a reasonable precedent for artists/designers/musicians putting their name on things so it might be OK in that respect.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

They’re useful if you race – I see the same faces week in, week out at crit races and only recognise most of them by their bike and their club/team colours. And half the time you don’t recognise them if they’ve not got lid/shades/strip on… So for that reason, I find them useful and I have my name on my racebike. I’m a name, not just a number 😉

binners

I only know one bloke who has his name down his (expensive carbon roadie) frame. I’m not exagerating when I state that he is without doubt the biggest, stinkiest, most bulbous, throbbing, swollen bell end I’ve ever met in my entire life.

Does that answer your question?

camo16
    Free Member

Yes. Yes it does. Ta.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I bet spanky spangler has his name on his bike though and he’s AAAWWWWWEEESSSOME

clubber
    Free Member

Shibboleth make a good point.

I reckon that you could go one better and get some tattoos on your arms, legs, neck and ideally forehead with your name to make it clear for all.

DrP

Not quite a personalised sticker, but I ride one of these (for work – home visits etc)

It’s obviously got it’s ‘name’ plastered all over it.
    Makes me chuckle every time I get on it…

DrP

mcboo
    Free Member

I only know one bloke who has his name down his (expensive carbon roadie) frame. I’m not exagerating when I state that he is without doubt the biggest, stinkiest, most bulbous, throbbing, swollen bell end I’ve ever met in my entire life.

Does that answer your question?

Have we met in the flesh fella? I have my name on my road bike cause it looks pretty and I’m proud of it and frankly a bit proud of myself. It’s all about the kit and the bike…..I say embrace it.

wonderchump
    Free Member

Change your name to Hope / Kona / Shimano / etc. and you can sticker yourself up to the nines.

I took this approach with my number plate.

Yours

Mr AB63 XSD

camo16
    Free Member

I have my name on my road bike cause it looks pretty

That’s kind of where I was coming from…

😳

Ah well, No Fear decals it is then. 🙁

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I initially thought very uncool.

However, went out with an old mate who has recently breathed new life into his 1999 Orange Patriot which was lovely too see it out and about again, dropper post, new Fox forks and Spank Subrosa rims etc. I did notice a very small UK team sticker on his top tube with the name “Uncle Pete” next to the British flag which he was given as a birthday present.
    This I believe qualifies as very sweet and therefore, in my book, cool.

slowrider
    Free Member

Personalised head badges are the way forward if you want something individual without looking like a nob end.

I don’t have one but have seen some good ones

khani
    Free Member

You know when you’re at a wedding do, and near the end of the night there’s an old bloke who’s pissed out of his face and decides he’s John Travolta, who then starts to feel up the bridesmaids before he falls on his arse and then offers the groom out?
    Its about as cool as that..

tomhoward

Guessing you don’t approve of hora’s new road bike binners?

Methinks ciderinsport may have an opinion on this…

rOcKeTdOg

own name, no, team name yes

binners

Have we met in the flesh fella? I have my name on my road bike cause it looks pretty and I’m proud of it and frankly a bit proud of myself.

Pfft! People like you make me sick! You should be crippled with guilt, remorse and self-loathing, the same as the rest of us 😉

nickc

This is one of those “what would Steve McQueen do” moments

I think you know the answer *

* come to think of it, Steve would prolly have his name on the bike as he’s, y’know, cool, but the rest of us? No

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My road bike has

“I ain’t going on no trail fool!”

and

“Sexytime Explosion”

On either sides of the top tube. I think they were MBUK stickers about 10 years ago, god knows what the roadie club think of it!

fasthaggis

I know a Gary Fisher.
    He bought a bike with his name on it 🙂

The last frame I built up has part of my name on it,it makes me smile.

😛

rusty90
    Free Member

“Sexytime Explosion”

I bet Jens Voigt is kicking himself for not having thought of that one 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Personalised name decals – cool or egotastic?’ is closed to new replies.