Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Personal grooming; to DE or not DE? That is the question.
  • RobHilton
    Free Member

Like OMG! I left my man’s razor on t’other side of that Europe we used to grudgingly (apparently) be a part of.

It’ll be about 3 months before I can retrieve it, so what to do in the meantime?

The Bic I use for my pits & bits (TMI?) didn’t cut it on my face this morn (intentional pun); I could do with a better stop-gap.

Y’all reckon tis worth investing in an additional DE? If so which one?

The same again? Who needs 2?

A superior one? Is the handle is just a handle and it’s all about the blades??

Would I never go back to the 34c, rendering it superfluous?

An inferior one? Is the handle is just a handle and it’s all about the blades??

The level I’m accustomed too needs to be maintained! Might as well stick with the scratchy Bic??

Or should I just go for whatever soon-to-be-landfill, 9 bladed vibrating wondertoy the popular sportspersons of the day advertise?

sbob
    Free Member

The Bic I use for my pits

?

Would I never go back to the 34c

Your breast size will change with weight gain/loss. It’s perfectly natural for any woman.

funkmasterp

What’s a DE?

sbob
    Free Member

Double edged razor.

Image result for razor blade

mickyfinn
    Free Member

I use one of these with Feather Blades and it’s as good as anything and cheap.

https://www.edwinjagger.co.uk/edwin-jagger-chrome-knurled-de-razor.html

slowoldman

Double edged razor.

Shirley that’s a DER.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

MTFU and use an axe.

willard

Chainsaw or we can’t take you seriously.

lunge

Beard trimmer for the face, clippers for downstairs, Gillette Fusion for the legs, isn’t that what all the “real men” use?

Note, despite having done it for years, my wife still finds it amusing that I have a hairy face and smooth legs, apparently this is upside down body care for men.

sbob
    Free Member

isn’t that what all the “real men” use?

You spelled “perverts and deviants” wrong.

fasthaggis

OP

I am sure you could knock up something with a Stanley blade and a Dremel.

Or make a proper one.

custom cutter

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m finally coming to the end of the massive box of Astra blades that came with a DE razor I bought a few years ago Thankfully not in a job where I have to shave all the time so sometimes, I can go a week or two without using the razor at all. I haven’t been too keen on the astras – any other recommendations? I keep seeing Feather blades being mentioned. Worth a go, and where to buy? Amazon?

Cougar

An inferior one? Is the handle is just a handle and it’s all about the blades??

My first DE razor was a cheapo plastic Gillette from Tesco.  It was awful.  I got a proper one and it was night and day better.  So, yes, I’d avoid “really cheap.”

I keep seeing Feather blades being mentioned. Worth a go, and where to buy? Amazon?

Feathers are the best I’ve used.  I’ve confused Astra and Derby in my head now but one of them was dreadful.

My last batch came from Amazon.  You can get selection packs with bunches of different ones, ebay’s worth a look for this.

Cougar

that Europe we used to grudgingly (apparently) be a part of.

We still are, and still will be if and when we brexit as that won’t affect geography.

It’ll be about 3 months before I can retrieve it, so what to do in the meantime?

Grow a beard.

legend
    Free Member

I’ve confused Astra and Derby in my head now but one of them was dreadful.

Thatd be Derbys ime, the only blade I’ve used that’s stood out as just trying to hurt me

RobHilton
    Free Member

We still are, and still will be if and when we brexit as that won’t affect geography.

You’re thinking of Eurasia.

Out-pendent that! 😉

stumpy01

I’m finally coming to the end of the massive box of Astra blades that came with a DE razor I bought a few years ago Thankfully not in a job where I have to shave all the time so sometimes, I can go a week or two without using the razor at all. I haven’t been too keen on the astras – any other recommendations?

DD, I bought a selection pack from Connaught shaving and as much as I wanted to like a blade that I’d never heard of, the best ones for me were just bog standard Wilkinson Sword ones. These:

http://connaughtshaving.com/wilkinson.html

with the Gillette Silver Blue being as near as dammit the same.

I thought the Astra blades were pretty good until I used some different ones & then realised there was better/more suitable to be had.

Feather seemed sharper, but went blunt quite quickly & I was more prone to nicking myself with them.

I’ve got the left overs from a sample pack I would be happy to post out for a couple of quid to cover postage. I would have to check to see what exactly is left, but there were probably only a couple of packs that got completely used & the rest probably has 3 blades in each pack. If interested I can check when I get home & see exactly what is left….?

DezB
    Free Member

Grow a beard.

…and armpit hair. If you’re feeling completely wild n crazy about life.

bigblackshed

Thatd be Derbys ime, the only blade I’ve used that’s stood out as just trying to hurt me

That would Shark blades. The edge is finely honed to that of rusty barbed wire.

Astra platinum are OK for me as a daily blade, but I use Feathers 99% of the time.

OP. Don’t bother with a cheap, shit razor. This is the reason to buy a Merkur Futur. Thank me later.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Grow a beard.

…and armpit hair. If you’re feeling completely wild n crazy about life.

What about me gooch?

sbob
    Free Member

We get it, you’re trans-curious. You don’t need to shout it from the rooftops.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Don’t you oppress me!

Splash-man
    Free Member

I’ve got plenty of Double Edged Swords you can have free of charge !

DezB
    Free Member

What about me gooch?

Do you really want this.. down there?

retro83
    Free Member

Feathers are the best I’ve used.  I’ve confused Astra and Derby in my head now but one of them was dreadful.

Yeah they’re nice blades, but it does depend a bit on the razor.

I found the Feathers lethal on my Wilkinson Sword, but perfect on my EJ DE89.

Astra, Gilette green and Wilkinson Sword blades are better on the Wilkinson Sword razor though.

You can get taster packs with 5 of each make of blade on ebay for about £15, it’s worth it to find a blade you like.

petec
    Free Member

go to the razor blade club for your, um, razor blades

here

more blades than you can shake a stick at. Quick bit of maths shows there’s 113 different types to choose.

Look at them all, and then just buy the Feathers (although, having said that, I quite like the Lord Cool)

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Here we go again…

Shall I resurrect a ‘god – yes there is no there isn’t’  thread and one on Fridays about Kylie or architecture?

newrobdob
    Free Member

clippers for downstairs

Errr what???

stumpy01

Here we go again…

Shall I resurrect a ‘god – yes there is no there isn’t’  thread and one on Fridays about Kylie or architecture?

Only once you’ve done a hi-fi one…..

Freester

You don’t say what your current DE is (edit oh yes you did a 34C). Want something more aggressive?

Should you get another one? YES. N+1 applies to DE razors also.

My current favourite is a Fatip Grande with a Gilette Rubie Blade so that’s what I’ll recommend to you.

benman
    Free Member

If you’ve already got a 34C, then why not try an open comb for something different?

Something like a Fatip Piccolo won’t break the bank.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Want something more aggressive?

I don’t want to fight it! 😀

Time to investigate what “open comb” means…

RobHilton
    Free Member

I’ve just discovered their are shaving forums!!

Is there a forum for everything? Rule 34.1??

Freester

Badger and Blade seems to be the best forum.

While you are looking at Open Comb, also have a look at Slant also!

daniel_owen_uk
    Free Member

Have a Merkur Futur which is a great bit of kit.

Had a beard for about 2 years now though so doesn’t get much use.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Badger & Blade is a US forum and is a bit clicky

ATG is the best U.K. one

Feathers work well in some razors but have a very narrow band, harsh on the first use, perfect for the second and that’s it

Loads of decent blades about, Nacets, Gillette Blacks and Silver Blues, Rapiras and Vokshods are my faves

jekkyl

you shave your pits? do other men do this? like a lot? honestly in all my 43 years a razor has never been near my armpits..

RobHilton
    Free Member

you shave your pits? do other men do this? like a lot? honestly in all my 43 years a razor has never been near my armpits..

If all the other men did, you probly would too – cos it’d be “normal”

bsims
    Free Member

Rip it out with pliers

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

You’re thinking of Eurasia. Out-pendent that!

I don’t mean to be pedantic, but I think you mean “Out-pedant that”.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Personal grooming; to DE or not DE? That is the question.’ is closed to new replies.