Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Perfume…
  • user-removed
    Free Member

My wife hardly ever wears perfume but she wants some for Christmas. “Just anything nice” is all the info I’ve been given.

Anyone know about smelly stuff? I’m guessing something quite heavy (ex-goth) but I don’t want to hang around with someone who stinks of patchouli…

Any suggestions gratefully received – somewhere under £30 would be good if poss.

hodgynd
    Free Member

My missus reckons that she has set you up to fail ..she also correctly said that if the only clue given was ” anything nice ” she ( my missus ) would end up with nowt .. 😆
    Short of any more clues coming your way you would be better off talking to someone on one of the perfume counters at somewhere like Debenhams / Boots / The Perfume shop ..
    Would like to have helped more but my o/h is a light perfume user ..
    Good luck ! 😀

Cougar

Ever played Minesweeper full screen?

Take her to a high street perfume counter which has loads of testers you can spray on little bits of card. She can tell you what she likes and doesn’t, then you can come back later and buy whichever of the ones she liked that doesn’t cost the GDP of a small African nation and doesn’t make her smell like a tart. Or does, if you like.

If you’d have to buy it blind you can still do the testers yourself, but I’d probably tend to go for safe “classics” like Chanel rather that something with a Z-list celebrity’s name over it.

Oh and as a rule of thumb, the more ridiculous the bottle, the more it’s trying to distract you from its contents.

theotherjonv

somewhere under £30 would be good if poss

good luck with that……

seriously, different scents smell different on different people, so guessing …. you might get lucky but you’ll more likely be wasting your “£30” (hahahahaha, £30!)

Far better for her to try some stuff and give you a shortlist.

user-removed
    Free Member

I’m afraid I’m waaaay too lazy to do the whole tester stick / perfume counter thing – I was planning to just press a button on Amazon tbh. Already spent £50 on other stuff so £30 is all she’s getting 😀

TiRed

Channel Mademoiselle. She’ll love you for it. And it’s a lot nicer-smelling than No 5. Even for an ex-goth 😉

the-muffin-man

My wife and daughter use CK One for an everyday smelly – and bang on budget!…

https://www.superdrug.com/Calvin-Klein/Calvin-Klein-CK-One-Eau-de-Toilette-Spray-200ml/p/362657

mattyfez

Such a difficult thing to buy blind…, or noseless in this case.
    Tell her to go to boots /the perfume shop or whatever one lunch time and try some.
    It’s not cheap stuff so if she doesn’t like it it’s a waste of money.

user-removed
    Free Member

TiRed – ninety quid?! For smelly water?!! That CK stuff might be just the ticket though.

mattyfez

Or thinking outside the box, get a sample box..
    http://www.thefragranceshop.co.uk/discovery-how-it-works.aspx

poolman
    Free Member

Jo Malone fans here, but at c 80 a bottle its out of budget. They are unisex so everyone can use them, c 65 at the airports if anyone is passing through.

Scamper
    Free Member

Is there a female equivalent of Sex Panther?

bearnecessities

Headache kittens.

llama

My sense of smell is non existent but I can buy perfume

Tips one: Find out the brands she covets. For me, as a middle aged middle class couple, it’s not so much mainstream Debenhams, think likes of White Company, Space NK, Jo Malone, blah blah i.e. Semi posh high street fur coat no knickers aspirational. At the end of the day, it’s as much about the brand and packaging as it is about the scent.

Tips two: go to the most expensive shop in your chosen field

Three: Tell the sales assistant you are an idiot. Ask them what they like best and what is selling well. It helps if you know what kind of thing she likes, when she will wear it, etc. Chat about it and take your time. Try some if you like but for me it’s next to pointless.

Four: pick one and buy the most expensive format you can afford. Remember, a little goes a long way.

Same method works for lingerie, but you need to be brazen about it.

kayak23

Any suggestions gratefully received – somewhere under £30 would be good if poss

Plenty of top brands available down the market for less than that. Smells legit.

avdave2

It’s a test, get it right and she knows you must have asked your lover!

wombat

Walk through a crowded place, when you find a person who smells good to you, tell them you think that smell nice and ask them what scent they use.
    Go to Superdrug and buy some of that.
    Good luck.
    HTH

chewkw
    Free Member

CK One is good. I like. 😀

martinhutch

Decant it into a glass bottle for extra romance.

chewkw
    Free Member

martinhutch – Member

Decant it into a glass bottle for extra romance.
    😆

senorj

I love a mooch around the perfume department in Liberty’s tbh.
    However, buyer beware, sister in law found an exact poundland copy of the aroma which my missus had paid fortunes for. ha.

aracer
    Free Member

Just buy her whatever your mistress uses, will save you having to have a shower before you go home.

Stoner
    Free Member

Mrs S been smelling of this lately: Aqua Allegoria Flora Rosa by Guerlain

Beats SIS sweats and chlorine.

Stoner
    Free Member

CK One is good

Blimey, I used to drown myself in that as a permanently-priapic, virile, young failure with women too!

joebristol

£30 doesn’t get a lot – for a decent brand you’ll be looking at a 30ml bottle. Better to buy a smaller title of something more expensive as it generally lasts longer once on.

I’d be a little wary buying online -I boughtsome 212 aftershave a few years back and it was fake (so I pressed for a refund and got it) – I still had the old bottle so could compare it. The scent wasn’t right at all and it didn’t last very long either.

bruneep

Mrs B likes Marc Jacobs stuff

maccruiskeen

My wife hardly ever wears perfume

different scents smell different on different people

Doesn’t matter what you buy if she’s not actually going to wear it. 🙂

“Just anything nice” is all the info I’ve been given.

There was a Tim Taylor sketch about this sort of thing – making the point that at the roadworks theres a guy with a sign that says ‘stop’ on one side and ‘go’ on the other. But if his wife worked there she’d use a sign that said ‘If you really loved me you’d know what I want you to do’ on both sides.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Perfume…’ is closed to new replies.