Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Perforated eardrum – cycling OK?
  • AdamW
    Free Member

I’m now officially deaf on one side 🙁 I need to commute (as I’ll go bonkers if I drive). Has anyone else had this and is riding OK or did it get painful? Did you cover your ear? Did it take long to heal?

Grr, am really annoyed about this!

bruneep

One of mine is perforated and has been for years, you’ll be fine.

damo2576
    Free Member

No rapid decents or ascents (less likely).

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Get an earplug so you don’t get water down your ear (don’t mean when cycling generally speaking)Go to http://www.arnoldhearing.co.uk and get some custom ones made.

AdamW
    Free Member

Ta for the replies. The doc says it should be healed within 4-6 weeks but it’s currently driving me bananas due to the ringing sound (tinnitus) together with the deafness. If not fixed then microsurgery to graft a new one. If it goes on for too long I’ll get custom earplugs.

I’ll keep out of planes for a while too (yay! no having to go to work in Germany for a while!).

I’ll try it on Monday to see how it goes but if it is cold I may use cotton wool to prevent cold wind getting in there.

Taff
    Free Member

Tinnitus will disappear without you noticing but be careful exposing your ear to the wind so use the same ear plug you would use on the shower or cotton wool. I was fine on the bike but felt a little unbalanced.

Bruneep – it’s still perforated?! Why have you not had an operation, if its perforated you’re open to inner ear infections

bruneep

Bruneep – it’s still perforated?! Why have you not had an operation, if its perforated you’re open to inner ear infections

I don’t have enough time on this planet to go into the ins and outs of my lug problems. I have many many ops on them. The ENT surgeon and I have agreed that the right one will stay with hole in it meantime.

Taff
    Free Member

Fair enough then and fair play with putting up with it. Mine has taken ages to heal and have really regretted re-enacting Kaddish behaviour from uni

Taff
    Free Member

Fair enough then and fair play with putting up with it. Mine has taken ages to heal and have really regretted re-enacting laddish behaviour from uni. Wouldn’t wish a perforated ear drum on anybody

m4dmatt
    Free Member

I have ears problems myself and whilst my balance isnt quite perfect i manage fine. only issue is wind/cold. Its not so much an issue in summer but come this time of year it starts playing up. I got a skull cap that covers the ears and its fine.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I had one of mine blown through by being struck plumb on the side of the head with a 16oz glove in my fighting days.

Despite it being described as ‘totally destroyed’ by the quack I was basically told not to get water in it until the appointment came through for a surgical repair.

I just used a plug in the shower and that was it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Perforated eardrum – cycling OK?’ is closed to new replies.