Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Perfect winter conditions today
  • lookmumnohands

Local trails frozen solid and running fast – even had dust on the frame! Just a reminder that getting out there even when it’s freezing is the best therapy.
    Happy trails all.

rOcKeTdOg

Perfect winter conditions for me are 10 degrees and dry, you can keep your -9 wind chill

Still just about to head out though 👍

z1ppy

Love the trails like this, a respite to the winter clag, going out shortly

dovebiker

The sun is out, the sky is blue and it’s -3C up here in Moray. 40 mph winds means you get grit-blasted by the icy spindrift. The roads are drifted-in with 6 ft of snow and the snowplough can’t get through – I ain’t going nowhere. Wind gusts up on the hill are 80mph+ and windchill of -23C – you’d be a nutter to even contemplate going out, but chances are there’s someone trying.

iainc

Minus 3 here a bit south of Glasgow and a fierce wind. Lots of lying snow and loads of ice. No bike again today…

It does look like it’s warming up after tomorrow so hoping to get first ride of the year in next week, fingers crossed..

davosaurusrex

South Coast and everything frozen solid, no snow. Due to thaw tomorrow though so just got back from 3rd ride in 5 days. Dusty bike, near summer speeds and that awesome sound of knobblies ripping through the frost, it’s been awesome!

ChuckMorris
    Free Member

I got out the other day. An inch or so of frozen snow and all the mud/bogs frozen solid. -1 with a colder windchill but sunny with blue skies.

I only managed 20km but it was 20km of bliss.

Klunk
    Free Member

freeze dried out there today…. one of the weirdest mid winter rides i can remember, trails the colour of mid summer clouds of dust being blown around followed by 2ft deep bogs of frozen mush! mcwinter! 😀

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

perfect yesterday

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Perfect yesterday

scaredypants

**** BITTER round my way (southern England) – no snow but lovely frozen mud but I lost feeling in hands, feet and face within an hour. Couldn’t operate the dropper and gears were nearly a thing of the past too
    Got home and MrsP had to take my helmet off becasuse I couldn’t do it, even with the help of a mirror

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Awesome day. 100km on a mix of minor roads and lovely solid corrugated loveliness Singletrack. Amazing.
    And all within 13 miles of home.

Amazed how pleasant all the walkers were on the footpath bits. Very un-cheshire.

ampthill

Yes 3 rides on frighten mud. Back on the road tomorrow though

easily
    Free Member

I enjoyed today’s ride, but I kept it short. A couple of degrees warmer would do it for me.

chestrockwell

Dropper froze open after a couple of miles then the last section was sheet ice. Apart from that it was fine…. Oh, except for the frozen head wind section. Struggling to remember such a prolonged frozen spell in North Yorks.

giggsmaster
    Free Member

Gave Zwift a wide berth for once and decided to go for a real ride.

Local route for me on Saturday, bits of snow & ice in parts and a few snow drifts.

Glad to get out of the garage, even if it was blooming freezing!

rOcKeTdOg

Took me 40 minutes before my feet had enough feeling to be able to stand in a hot shower, but still so painful as the blood rushed back into my toes. Luckily because of the shower water you couldn’t see my tears

Alex

Was mostly frozen Weds night, and totally frozen on Friday afternoon. Fab ride on our local trails. Felt like summer from the Axles down. Even dug the FS out after 6 months of riding the HT.

Had to work yesterday so missed the last non muddy ride for a bit, but a real winter bonus. So cold on the way out/back but fine once in the woods and shielded from that wind.

Forecast looks pretty spring-y for next week. And wet, obviously.

smokey_jo

Dust at Longridge Fell yesterday, first time I’ve ridden there in 20 years I didn’t have to wash me or the bike. Started off with a 20min climb so started warm and just kept moving, trees kept worst of the wind off so stayed toasty all ride

sharkattack

-3 in the Peak yesterday and the wind was like knives. No plans to ride a bike in this absolute nonsense.

Heated seats and steering wheel on full blast.

ampthill

My riding this week has been massively enhanced by digging out my gore winstopper tights. Heavy base layer, fleece and Paramo. Slightly cool with a head wind, toasty the rest of the time.

drinfinity
    Free Member

I’ve been out most days with Schwalbe IceSpikers on – West Pennine Moors area. Fabulous conditions, Hard packed snow and ice, then freeze dried dusty mud have opened up some moorland trails that are only passable in a hard freeze or very dry summer. The sheet ice has been getting harder, so less grip, over the last week.

martinhutch

Sacked it off today after a mile or so because rain was starting to fall on frozen tarmac, which is always a recipe for interesting conditions.

Superficial
    Free Member

Hilarious conditions in the Eastern peak today. Every trail had some sort of ice-river wheelsnatcher that I could barely walk on. The in between bits were great and I had a good ride.

WildHunter2009

Mostly thawed ok down South. The south downs chalk mud was like riding though porridge urgh. Frankly I should have stuck to the roads!

Klunk
    Free Member

barmy 16 degrees today and the sun wasn’t even out. Dry line before the end of feb and if this weather continues it’s going to fully dry for the 1st of March.

mjsmke

Felt like spring today. Most mud was has started to dry already and was at the nice slightly soft and grippy stage but not wet and squelchy.

BillOddie

Dry line before the end of feb and if this weather continues it’s going to fully dry for the 1st of March.

dawson

During last night’s ride I contemplated if it was time to remove my mudguards…..

And then I slapped myself around the head because doing that would cause a monsoon for the next month

swavis

Considering I did an xc ski from the house 2 weeks ago I can’t believe how dry the trails are around here on Speyside, it’s bonkers.

Of course I’ve just gone and jinxed it now eh? 😆

stumpy01

@swavis – I’ve been loving some of the pics you’ve been putting on Strava of the snowy conditions.

Amazing!

swavis

Cheers😎
    The Spey is running bank full with all that snow just now so I don’t think there’ll be too many more unfortunately.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Perfect winter conditions today’ is closed to new replies.