Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Perennial STW question. Android.
  • colournoise

I know this gets asked all the time, but the Google-based search isn’t being that helpful…

My Oneplus 2 is feeling its age after 3 years (and is doing some weird heating up, battery draining crap right now), so it might be time for a new phone.

I’m contract free and looking to buy outright, but want that to be cost-effective so no flagship nonsense.

Looking at Amazon, front runners seem to be Moto G6, Sony XA2 or Nokia 8. All around £200-£250 with similar specs.

What would STW buy and why?

matt_outandabout

My work G6 is smooth and does everything needed of it. Camera is only iffy thing.

But my new personal Sony XZ1 (£15/mth unlimited calls/texts & 2gb) blows it out the water. Faster, smoother, nicer sound (including when plugged into the car stereo) and much better camera.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I have the slightly earlier XZ and would happily recommend it. Mine’s waterproof as well, which really helps when slinging it in a bag/pocket on the bike. Great camera, platform is really fast.

USB  C, which meant I needed a few spare cables. Have drawers full of USB micro!

pirahna
    Free Member

Don’t buy the Nokia.

I’ve got a Nokia 8 and it repeatedly drops it’s wifi connection. I don’t get a mobile signal at home so rely on things like WhatsApp for messages and voice calls. Look at the phone and it’s got the connection icon at the top so all appears well. At some random time it will re-connect, it’s not unusual for messages and missed call notification to appear several hours late. This appears to be a problem across a range of Nokia phones, not just the 8, Nokia have no interest in fixing the issue. Apart from that it’s great.

Wifey has a Moto G6 which has been OK except the volume button has broken. The phone lives in a protective case, the issue seems to be with build quality. I had intended buying one to replace the Nokia but now won’t.

itstig

There has been an issue with android  causing huge battery draining, my phone would flatten the battery in less than a day( 4400mAh) felt hot etc. I deleted every app  put it  into battery saver mode tried all sorts. Last week an update seemed to correct things.The last charge  was ten days ago and  still at 28% so I hope it’s sorted now.

My phone is a £100 cubot king kong (yes really) from amazon running android 7. My only reccomendation is it is reasonably robust and fairly cheap.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I had two faulty Nokia 8’s before I got my money back, the phone itself was generally excellent but quality was piss poor so wouldn’t touch with a bargepole.

chakaping
    Free Member

I had two faulty Nokia 8’s before I got my money back

Same here.

Bought a Huawei Mate 10 Pro instead, which is a “flagship” quality phone that can be had for well under £400.

Would recommend. I’m surprised how much better it is than my previous mid-premium level devices.

colournoise

Honor 8x looks great value, but it’s massive?

Been looking around a bit more. Leaning towards spending a tiny bit more and going for a Sony XZ1 compact.

johnnystorm

As I said with Honor/Huawei they do a vast range. If the 8x is too big the Honor 9 is a 5.15, the Honor 10 is a 5.6, and so on!

I’ve got a Mate 10 Pro as well, about £360 now but amazing specs as said.

johnnystorm

One thing to consider is actual dimensions versus screen sizes. Most of the new ones 90+% screen so a 6.5″ screened new phone is smaller than a 5.5″ from a generation or two ago.

Del

Has the Sony got a glass back? If so, avoid. Sony’s add-on apps were shit too. My z3 compact was fragile crap. Not very waterproof when the case resembled crazy paving.

The Nokia 6.1 is part of the Android 1 program. Decent spec for the money, but I have no personal experience, I’m still running a Moto g5, but I’d be looking at the Nokia if it broke. Moto G6 has a glass back iirc. There’s an LG at a similar price point to the G6.

bob_summers

Still waiting for an iphone SE (size, construction) with dual sim, full size screen and vanilla android.

Oneplus X got closest.

matt_outandabout

Has the Sony got a glass back?

My ZX1 has plastic back.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

To add to my earlier reply I replaced the Nokia with an Honor 10, on the whole its really good with a few minor annoyances, the sound is nowhere near as good as the Nokia and the speaker’s location on the bottom is easily muffled. The location of the power button and volume buttons on the side is awkward and I sometimes find myself knocking the screen off or taking loads of bloody screenshots. And the Honor overlay since an update forces me to use an unlock code when running a non default launcher.

edhornby

I’ve got the 2018  Nokia 6 and it’s Bob on

woody2000

I have been pleasantly surprised by the LG Q6 I got as an insurance replacement for my ancient LG G2.  Decent camera, nice size screen (in 18:9 format), battery good, plenty storage etc etc.  Running an LG version of Android 8 but there’s no nasties in it.  Just been given a Samsung J3 for work which seems OK spec wise, but I don’t like the Samsung overlay at all.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Perennial STW question. Android.’ is closed to new replies.