Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Pepsi* challenge – High Roller vs Minion DHF (*other fizzy gear is available)
  • cheez0
    Free Member

So, whats the difference/ similarities between 2.35 42a Super tackies dual ply in both tyres?

I’ve been using the Minions front and back recently and I think they’re good, but I also have a set of High Rollers which I think may be a bit draggier.

Me n Mrs Cheeze are off to Morzine next month and I’m wondering if I should splash out on another set of minions or share out what I got.
    (I’m also anticipating some mud but I got that covered with some Swamp Things and Schwalbe Black Sharks or wtf they’re called)

I know the PDS massive swear by either, but I’d like to know which you prefer a la Pepsi challenge?

(and please dont say ‘use advantage or some other shizzle, this is a straight fist fight between HR and Minions.)

Cheers.

Militant_biker

Never been a fan of HR in dry conditions, so it’s Minions for me (2.5″ front up front, 2.35″ front at back)

mboy
    Free Member

When you get to Morzine you’ll find it about a 50/50 split on people running HR’s and Minion’s that are in the Maxxis camp anyway…

Personally, I’d run the HR up front and the Minion F out back on both bikes. HR’s are slightly better in softer conditions than the minion, Minion is slightly faster rolling.

And unless it’s REALLY muddy in Morzine (which can happen), just stick with that… Swamp things are great if its rained constantly for days and you’re trying to race down the DH tracks, but otherwise don’t worry too much as HR’s in particular grip pretty well in most conditions.

pastcaring
    Free Member

minion front, high roller rear. since 2004

have tried other tyres but always end up back on this set up for the summer/most of the winter. use swampthings when it gets really wet.

RustySpanner

I ended up running a 2.35 Minion DHF Super Tacky front year – amazing tyre, so much more grip than a HR.
    Used all through winter in snow, mud, allsorts. Complete confidence in all conditions – the denturegrip/bodyform of tyres.

Northwind

I think they’re pretty comparable tbh. HR seems better when it’s soft, Minion faster when it’s dry. Minion once it loses grip doesn’t seem to want to get it back, but on the plus side it’s pretty damn hard to make that happen in the first place. Oh and Minion seems to wear better/grip better when worn. Both overrated in 2.35 dualply if you ask me but ymmv. (by the time I want a dualply I also want a bit more tyre)

You can of course easily get completely contradictory opinions, loads of people think Highrollers are faster. Haven’t a clue why.

I recommend buying the one you like the look of. Or, Clutches 😉

sailor74
    Free Member

HR rolls faster, minion has more cornering grip, HR has more braking grip on the rear than a Minion F but a lot less than a Minion R.

I prefer Minion F at both ends for downhill, for trail riding a Minion F up front with a HR out back

FieldMarshall

Used HRs front (ST) and back (62a i think) in Morzine 4 years ago and they were fine in wet and dry. Last year I used Minion F front (ST) and back (62a) and preferred the Minions. 2.5 front and 2.35 rear first time. 2.7 front! and 2.5 rear last year.

My friend used HRs both times. We matched each other for speed both times.

However as said above HR seems to let go earlier, but grips again quickly. Minion harder to get to lose grip but once it’s gone it’s gone.

So draw your own conclusions from that

cheez0
    Free Member

Wow, thanks all for your opinions, very varied too!

I think Mrs Cheeze needs a bit of confidence-inspiring grip on the front, so maybe a Minion FR and then I’ll bung a HR on the rear (As she does tend to drag the rear brake when pointing down)
    That of course leaves me with the same combo. I wouldn’t say that I was a DH fiend, but I have been impressed overall with the Minion for GP use (and a day up the Q’s with Sharky and co.)

Anyone else want to chip in?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

What is the difference between F & R or is it simply front & rear?

Northwind

Yup. Also R I think stands for Rubbish, horrible tyres. Weirdly the F also makes a great rear tyre. You’ve got to wonder really

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Think I’ll try a 2.5 DHF on the front this year (Alps) and one of my 2nd hand and 3 Alp trips old HR 2.5’s on the back. 😀

jimjam
    Free Member

cheez0

Anyone else want to chip in?

Pepsi challenge is apt – if people were to ride both without seeing their tyres they would struggle to tell the difference imo. Everything someone will say about one tyre, someone else will say about the other.

spoon
    Free Member

Minion (super tacky) front x high roller (60a) Rear

unless its wet otherwise wet screams.

mboy
    Free Member

I wouldn’t say that I was a DH fiend, but I have been impressed overall with the Minion for GP use (and a day up the Q’s with Sharky and co.)

T’was me camping with Sharki and qwerty in the tent next to you by the way… On the Maverick.

Anyway, your chosen tyres will be perfect for use in Morzine, either Minions or HR’s or any combo will be more than good enough. To be honest though, I’d look to use something a fair bit lighter weight for XC riding in the UK, you don’t need the incredible grip (and drag) that Minions or HR’s have for normal use IMO, and using a tyre half the weight makes a massive difference on how much effort you have to put in to get up the climbs. They’re both awesome tyres, for good reason, but for XC use they can be a bit overkill. And though many people will argue that bike weight doesn’t really matter that much in the grand scheme of things, rotational weight has more of an effect than anything else.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

I use the 3c HR dual ply in France usually and they are great; this year I will start off on rubber queen 2.2s though; I wonder if I will die, they are about half the weight.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I wonder if I will die,

Yep, for sure!

cheez0
    Free Member

Jimjam..i think theres probably something in what you say!

Something else I’d like an opinion on is pressures, I say sod low pressures, run em hard but have a softer compound for grip.
    What does the panel think?

cheez0
    Free Member

Yo mboy!
    I agree with the dual ply overkill for the Q’s, but as i’m not minted I couldn’t afford an array of minions hung up in the shed, so bang for buck I’ve gone for the dp’s.

nickhead
    Free Member

Prefer Minions.. used to run a HR front, minion rear… now run 2x Minion Fs – i like the faster rolling nature and as an all round tyre (not just the alps etc)

andysandes
    Free Member

This post comes up every year on every forum. The best basic advice is maxis and dual ply. Its not even worth thinking about non.dual ply, even for xc out there because if your riding any technical decents you’ll get pinch flats e.g jacky Chan in les gets for.anyone.who knows it.

Personal pref after a couple of.seasons guiding in the alps was a super tacky hr on the front and a 60a on the back (other wise the rear tyre would be done in 4 days).

Bare in mind it rains in the alps especially in August highrollers are your rubber of choice in all but the wettest conditions (oooer missus)

dans160
    Free Member

Using the new fancy 2.5 Minion DHF 3C things for both trails and DH. They’re very good and roll well enough. They seem quite predictable and haven’ let go yet. Used High Rollers a couple of years ago and thought they were good also but not as fast. I run about 28psi in the front and 30 or 32 psi in the rear depending on what I am up to.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

go to 60a or they will be bald by Wednesday

randomjeremy
    Free Member

yeah 42a or slow reezy’s tend to die very quickly, the 3C ones are great though

lunge

In my experience the difference is this:
    High Roller – Grip then slide, but the slide is very predictable. They work best when they are leant over a long way and seem to suit more aggressive style. They arguable brake better than a Minion but this is pretty marginal.

Minion DHF – Grippier but when they do let go the slide is less predictable and harder to catch. They don’t need to be leant over quite so much as there is less of a gap between the side knobs and the centre knobs. They role a little quicker than HR’s as well.

I prefer Minions as I am not gnar enough to get the best out of HR’s, but in honestyn neither are a bad tyre and both will do a job in the alps if you go dual ply, 2.5, supertacky front, Maxpro rear.

chakaping
    Free Member

I don’t usually go a bundle on HRs for normal riding, but found the 2ply 2.5in 3C version just fine for riding in the PdS.

Still almost killed the rear in six days – but I was braking a lot!

Taking both this year as it happens.

budgierider67

I’m in a similar position to the OP.
    Reading this, I think a High Roller rear & a Minion front will suit my riding for a trip to Les Arcs in Sept. My rims will limit me to 2.35 & I will follow the advice and get the dual ply 60a so they last the distance.

Are all dual ply tyres wire bead or are there two types?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Pepsi* challenge – High Roller vs Minion DHF (*other fizzy gear is available)’ is closed to new replies.