Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 245 total)
  • Pepper spray for aggressive dogs?
  • phil40
    Free Member

One of those times when you know it has to be, but you just can’t help yourself! If I am ever reincarnated as a moth I will be heading straight towards the light!

project
    Free Member

Woman gets bitten by dog , dog sees woman as a a threat and bites her, she is then afraid of dogs and releases scents that dog responds to as a threat, and bites her, so she buys an illegal spray to use on a dog, with no thought of what the owner, dog, RSPCA and police will do.

report to police, council dog warden and RSPCA,and get reference numbers and chase their progress.

bencooper
    Free Member

I trane UFC

Is that like mainlining KFC?

bearnecessities

Manlining KFC

Cougar

That’s the difference between hen and cock.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

skydragon
    Free Member

A man was killed by a dog yesterday, whilst out walking locally.

Different circumstances, but it highlights the risk.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-37094526

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

That is one tragic story. Especially seeing as the police had taken/returned it.

“The police then turned up but said they wouldn’t use their tasers on the dog to stop it because they thought they would kill it.”

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/crime/dog-mauls-man-to-death-on-huddersfield-street-just-a-week-after-police-return-it-to-owner-1-8071793

…is somewhat concerning.

jimjam
    Free Member

Probably the dead guy’s fault.

spekkie
    Free Member

If only he had learned “dog whispering” . . .

shortcut

So clearly all dogs should be banned.

Or maybe cyclists and runners could learn that generally dogs are OK but sometimes react in a challenging way to stuff they don’t understand so stopping, removing sunglasses and talking at them means they recognise you as human and not worth chasing or jumping up at.

Its not difficult boys and girls.

Why should I do that? So you don’t get bitten.
    Would it be nice if dogs didn’t react to runners or bikes? Sure.

But lets face it people can’t be trained not to hurt each other for irrational reasons so dogs who have less (arguable in some instances) intelligence and understanding that people might have issues with stuff they don’t understand.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I found a quick spray of bleach stopped one of my neighbour’s dogs from acting aggressively toward me. In fact, it kept well away from me after that

molgrips
    Free Member

I was wondering if they are regular dogs then you’d only have to deal with them (either by aggressive/assertive behaviour or chemical weapons) once – they’d presumably remember you a second time.

skydragon
    Free Member

Bump for the early evening crowd. Loads of life left in this one yet.

thejesmonddingo

Might a pepper spray have kept the victim of a dog assault in Huddersfield alive?

km79
    Free Member

No, it would only have added a little extra flavouring.

Cougar

So clearly all dogs should be banned.

Or maybe cyclists and runners could learn that generally dogs are OK but sometimes react in a challenging way to stuff they don’t understand

Or maybe, y’know, people should control their ****ing dogs if they’re likely to “react in a challenging way”.

If it looks like I’m about to be attacked by something of limited intelligence and understanding, I’ll hoof the bastard into the canal. Along with its dog.

#internethardman

aracer
    Free Member

Given the reason this thread has been reopened, what do you think David Ellam did wrong that resulted in his death?

greavo

Could she run with a go pro or smaller equivalent from a chest mount (someone must do a camera for runners). At least then she’ll have recorded evidence that can be put to the authorities.

If the dog owner sees her with a camera and there is a confrontation, the dog owner might change their behaviour in future. Just a thought……

jimjam
    Free Member

If the dog owner sees her with a camera and there is a confrontation, the dog owner might change their behaviour in future. Just a thought……

Yeah, seems to work pretty well when cyclist use this approach on motorists who act aggressively. I can see no way in which it could go wrong for a lone female in a park.

anagallis_arvensis

Given the reason this thread has been reopened, what do you think David Ellam did wrong that resulted in his death?

Got too close to a banned breed that should be muzzled in public.

soobalias
    Free Member

was it a banned breed?

fin25
    Free Member

Not a banned breed, half Labrador half staff so the news said.

aracer
    Free Member

Clearly it doesn’t have to be a banned breed to be very dangerous. So we come back to the question of how you can tell?

jimjam
    Free Member

Generally the owner will tell you that it’s never bitten anyone before.

fin25
    Free Member

I think this week’s tragedy really shows up the major problem with the Dangerous Dogs Act. This dog had been reported to and seized by the police, who could not even enforce a muzzle because the dog was not one of the banned breeds.
    The law needs to change to ensure that all dangerous dogs can be dealt with, not just the ones that look a bit scary.

jimjam
    Free Member

fin25
    The law needs to change to ensure that all dangerous dogs can be dealt with, not just the ones that look a bit scary.

But Fin, there’s no such thing as a “Dangerous Breed” just bad people. Any breed can be a lethal menace or a big cutie pie. Most pugs and spaniels are vicious little bastards, but most mastiffs and rottweilers are perfect dogs to have around small children due to their maternal instincts.

fin25
    Free Member

Um, that’s kinda what I said dude.

jimjam
    Free Member

I really need to work on my sarcasm. 😉

aracer
    Free Member

I’m not quite sure that’s true – a spaniel might be vicious, but would it be capable of inflicting lethal damage in the same way as a Staffie cross?

jimjam
    Free Member

I really, really need to work on my sarcasm. Or just stop trying to be sarcastic in a medium that doesn’t convey it well, as I will no doubt shortly be told.

I agree Aracer.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Try putting /s after the main text.
    Until someone comes up with a sarcastic font, it’s the best we’ve got.

jimjam
    Free Member

I have done on occasion but it seems somehow pointless when you do that.

aracer
    Free Member

We have a Poe’s law problem here

jimjam
    Free Member

Quite. Just allow me to reiterate that it’s ****ing awful that a grown man (and not a small one by the looks of it) was torn to bloody pieces and died in the most horrific fashion imaginable by someone else’s pet.

twisty

I think this week’s tragedy really shows up the major problem with the Dangerous Dogs Act. This dog had been reported to and seized by the police, who could not even enforce a muzzle because the dog was not one of the banned breeds.

This area of the law has desperately need changing, the breed discrimination in particular is stupid.

Dogs that have done nothing wrong and independently expertly assessed to be of good character are still ordered to be destroyed simply because of their breed.

Yet dogs where there is clear evidence that they are of dangerous character are left with the same owners and no controlling action taken because of their breed.

Furthermore there is too much blaming/destruction of the dogs, rather than taking action against irresponsible owners and giving the dogs a chance to be rehabilitated with more sensible owners.

anagallis_arvensis

think this week’s tragedy really shows up the major problem with the Dangerous Dogs Act. This dog had been reported to and seized by the police, who could not even enforce a muzzle because the dog was not one of the banned breeds.

Oh right I had obviously miss interpreted what I heard.

Indeed.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

This area of the law has desperately need changing, the breed discrimination in particular is stupid.

Not really, it is a way of essentially forcing a breed to die out and removing a future risk.

Dogs that have done nothing wrong and independently expertly assessed to be of good character are still ordered to be destroyed simply because of their breed.

Dog owners bang on to the cows come home about breed characteristics, some breeds are essentially not suitable for our society the way to get the breed to die out is to remove the breeding population. Might be harsh on an individual dog but it’s the bigger picture that matters

Yet dogs where there is clear evidence that they are of dangerous character are left with the same owners and no controlling action taken because of their breed.

I agree these dogs should be either destroyed or draconian measures placed on the owner where a breach means jail time or substantial fine

Furthermore there is too much blaming/destruction of the dogs, rather than taking action against irresponsible owners and giving the dogs a chance to be rehabilitated with more sensible owners.

Sorry, if a dog bites a person it needs to be removed from society. The dilution of this social taboo is part of the problem. The owner should also be prosecuted for not having the dog under control

Too much priority is given to dogs in our public spaces, go to a park and the dog free area is a small fenced off play ground with dogs able to use the rest of the space. Why is it not the other way around?

skydragon
    Free Member

Too much priority is given to dogs in our public spaces

+1

and too much leeway is given to dog owners who can’t or won’t control their dog.

First world problems, when people start regarding their pets as having equal rights to other people and in tandem the government are wary of upsetting those voters who are dog lovers.

Cletus

I think all dogs should wear collars filled with explosive and fitted with sensors that can detect aggressive behaviour. Any misbehaviour and boom! – decapitated rover.

Jack Vance postulated something similar (for humans) in his 1973 novel The Anome 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 245 total)

The topic ‘Pepper spray for aggressive dogs?’ is closed to new replies.