Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Peppa Pig: subversive evil in your home – and you're paying for it
  • 6079smithw
    Free Member

Couldn’t resist a Daily Wail style title, cos it’s actually fun 😛
    (Working there i.e. trolling the nation could be a barrel of laughs. Except a friend worked there and she said it was mysogynistic hell, make of that what you will…)

Anyway, this unrelated analysis is about Peppa Pig being a tool to subvert family values and how invented distraction has been used in the media to avoid this topic
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6TYC7gfFqI[/video]
    It would be interesting to hear what any parents of young kids on here might think

teethgrinder

It’s a cartoon pig.

And not as good as Ben & Holly.

konabunny
    Free Member

not as evil as Lenny the Shapeshifting Ickean Lizard, though.

bikerdan
    Free Member

Ben and Holly, far superior to Pepper Pig.

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

I must say I do find her rather rude!

bol

I loved Peppa Pig, and really miss it now my kids are older. It was one of the few kids things I could watch repeatedly and still find funny. I had a strong affinity with Daddy Pig for some reason.

Barney the **** purple **** dinosaur on the other hand I would cheerfully send extinct. Had to ban it in our house because it made daddy so cross.

Duffer
    Free Member

Peppa Pig is one of the better kids programmes. And it’s got Brian Blessed in it! What more could you need!?

That said, i do agree about the Ben and Holly thing.

Klunk
    Free Member

how about the cycle helmet edit !!!!

mattk
    Free Member

What on earth is that video? English Disco Lovers declare war in defence of peppa pig!?!?!

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Ben and Holly rule!

Even after the kids grew out of it/went off it I made them they still watched it for a while.

The Wise Old Elf was one of my favourites.

geoffj

The Wise Old Elf was one of my favourites.

+1 and nanny plum. Genius

molgrips
    Free Member

When the kids grow out of Ben and Holly just start them on Big Knights, which is laugh out loud hilarous (to me anyway).

Every time I go through the Severn Bridge tolls I really have to stop myself asking for the combat option.

dannyh
    Free Member

I still love the fact that Mr Rude on Mr Men is french. Hilarious, and sending all the right subliminal messages. You just know that in the French version Mr Rude is British as well.

freeagent
    Free Member

+1 for Ben and Holly – genius.

molgrips
    Free Member

I would guess that Monsieur Mal-Elevé is probably from Paris…

cookeaa

Hmmmm, Paranoid oddity citing far right nutters ranting, as evidence of a subversive message undermining paternal role models and attempting to split up family’s? Nah… don’t buy it TBH.
    Feels a wee bit “F4J” to me…

But just for the sake of it, taking his point head on, yes Daddy Pig portrays an oafish, clumsy vision of fatherhood, but he is also well meaning and loving father (he has these overriding, redeeming qualities), and his family, although exasperated by him at times, seem to largely accept his numerous shortcomings because, as a family unit, they appear to love one another.

That to me is how a happy family should function, conscious and aware of one another’s issues and flaws but able to exist happily together because they love one another…

Obviously it is a caricature of real life because… well it’s about a family of talking pigs, but I think it would be a little more disingenuous if it tried to hold fathers up as some sort of paragon, none of us are without faults, our children generally learn this much earlier than we might imagine, and ultimately their judgement of us as parents will be mostly guided by how well we love and support them as they grow up, not how a couple of fictional cartoon pigs on the telly got along when they were three.

I also agree that Ben and Holly is better…

Stevet1
    Free Member

I have yet to decide whether the little princess really is a little princess or if she lives in squalor with her meth addicted parents and cohorts and has unconscioulsly overlaid her own imagination onto events and people to protect herself.

hatter

We’ve managed to neatly side step Peppa pig (Thank ^%$&Y$!) and have got him hooked on Penguins of Madagascar, which is also, on occasion genuinely laugh out loud funny.

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

/\ well it wouldn’t be a decent kids TV show without a bit of low level drug use.

Edit: oh, and Nanny Plum/ Miss Rabbit make me genuinely lol

DezB
    Free Member

The “EndOfYourSlavery” Youtube channel. That’s one worth following.

monkeychild
    Free Member

The original send up video of the gent (not sure if he was Asian or Middle Eastern) saying Peppa the Pig is evil etc is comedy gold IMHO. Especially as it really antagonised the nutters into some hilarious Youtube xenophobic rants.

GrahamS

Spot on cookeaa.

Also, although Daddy Pig is a bit of a clot, he also seems to be quite successful. He drives convertible and is the boss at some kind of architectural/surveying firm, where his job is “quite complicated. I take big numbers, transmute them, and calculate their load bearing tangents”.

Which appears to involve solving quadratic equations on his whiteboard:

cookeaa

I have yet to decide whether the little princess really is a little princess or if she lives in squalor with her meth addicted parents and cohorts and has unconscioulsly overlaid her own imagination onto events and people to protect herself.

That’s a very dark, but entirely understandable interpretation…

If you really want to bend their little minds get them watching ‘Adventure Time’ our eldest got into it for a little while, then she got a little scared of it, had a couple of nightmares (it’s full of Vampires and monsters and stuff) So we no longer watch it, but if Peppa pig is “Subverting the family”, I’m really not sure what messages that program is sending…

Thinking back to my own childhood, none of the crap I watched seems to have affected my parental relationships long term, Although Button Moon gave me a fear of spoons, Thundercats did make me want to be a cross bred Cat-person, battling an Evil mummified git and his minions, and Transformers made me want to be a giant robot/car…

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Nanny Plum and Mrs Rabbit are voiced by the same person from memory (but I’m guessing you already knew that).

The Welsh elf always tickles me too, one of the best Ben and Holly episodes has to be when they are stuck on the desert island.

Hang on a minute…
    So the bloke in that video isn’t doing some sort of Brass tacks style parody? He’s serious?

MoreCashThanDash

My kids often refer to me as Daddy Pig and talk about my big fat tummy. Little bastards.

Also used to love Little Princess. Tbe genius of the General character, managing to out-camp Julian Clary’s narration.

almightydutch
    Free Member

Both of the programmes are ace. Yes B+H takes the glory but I could watch them all day long…and that’s without Junior there for company.

I do like how Miss Rabbit works Everywhere though!!!

mogrim

If you really want to bend their little minds get them watching ‘Adventure Time’ our eldest got into it for a little while

Adventure Time is really, really weird. Prefer SpongeBob and the Penguins, though.

Tiger6791

Miss Rabbit is Nanny Plumb!

Seriously that’s some flick up nonsense.

Does the Fairy play the Rabbit (oh er!) or the Rabbit play the Fairy…

Arghhhhhhhhhh!!!

Anyway, it’s for a good cause, even if it’s a £1

senorj

We’re alright , we don’t watch channel 5. 😉
    Probably just as well because my boy IS Stuey Griffin.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Ben and Holly rocks! The Mrs takes the piss as I’ll leave it on for a while if the kids have gone to bed, nothing beats a Wise Old Elf “NANNY PLLLUUUUMM”…

Best Peppa Pig episode evaa! “I’ve seen him eat flies!!!”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWZ1UWeKp-M

Vid in the OP is just plain bat shit mental!

Ahem, that is all.

moshimonster
    Free Member

My wife actually encourages me to use Daddy Pig as a role model. She says he’s so calm and gentle when things go wrong.

I also prefer Ben & Holly. Made by the same people of course, so must be some subversion going on there too. Maybe depicting the upper class elite (Fairy royalty) v working class (Elves)?

johndoh
    Free Member
    GrahamS

Maybe depicting the upper class elite (Fairy royalty) v working class (Elves)?

But but.. elves love to work.

And we’re elves.

jimjam
    Free Member

I can’t believe people prefer Ben and Holly to Peppa Pig. Next you;ll be saying you like Baby Jake. Anyway, Dino Paws is the bestymost.

johndoh
    Free Member

I like them both equally. (Okay, so Ben & Holly has the edge)

nickc

Is that richplanet site real? Or is it a sort of DIY “The Day Today”

GrahamS

It’s all about Dragons in my house now. My four year old daughter watches it obsessively.

Which is good because it is pretty watchable and quite funny in parts.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

That guy making the video is a fool – he admits at the beginning that he doesnt’t have kids and then concludes that the programme is an attempt to subvert the family unit. How would he know? – PP – all families can identify with Daddy Pig antics/failures it’s satire is it not? Does the Simpsons not do the same thing?
    Bollox mate, go and get a sense of humour, life is too short.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Peppa Pig: subversive evil in your home – and you're paying for it’ is closed to new replies.