• This topic has 132 replies, 75 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by tomd.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 133 total)
  • People you used to like..
  • zippykona

…til you read their autobiography.
    Annie Nightingale.
    Yes, you broke your leg on holiday. Having met Prince Charles doesn’t mean you will get medevacced home.
    Yes, you were on air when lady di got killed.
    How you performed is not people’s over riding memory of that event.
    Just **** off and get some wicked Es grandma then let us know how in tune with the yoof you are.

loddrik
    Free Member

Not really after reading their autobiography but used to love Kenny Everett when I was a kid until I found out he was a tory.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Colin Firth until I found out he was remoaner looney enough to become and Italian citizen.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tomhoward

I’ve gone right off Rolf Harris

whitestone
    Free Member

Become what and an Italian citizen?

fasthaggis

Louise

Nico
    Free Member

Quite a while ago but I liked Eric Clapton until I found out that he liked black music but wouldn’t want one moving in next door.

More interesting is the people who seem to be suspect but people you respect who know them say the opposite. Phil Collins, apparently, but I can’t remember who said it.

johndoh
    Free Member

black music

Anyone that would pigeonhole any form of music as ‘black’ attracts my immediate disdain.

chakaping
    Free Member

David Millar, comes across as a self-regarding bell end in his books. And that’s disregarding the doping.

Really good at his TV punditry stuff though, so I’m coming back round to him.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Flashy, up until the footwear fashion shoot.

4130s0ul
    Free Member

Anyone that would pigeonhole any form of music as ‘black’ attracts my immediate disdain.

So where do you stand on the MOBO’s? 😆

edlong
    Free Member

I’ve gone right off Rolf Harris

+1 He was the one out of the whole post-Saville clear-out that surprised and disappointed me.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Not really after reading their autobiography but used to love Kenny Everett when I was a kid until I found out he was a tory.

Do people really dislike others just because of who they vote for? Really really? 😕

aP
    Free Member

Lance Armstrong — until I read his book “It’s not about the bike” and realised what a nice person he was.
    I don’t really read autobiographies, self aggrandising bellends telling the world how great they are doesn’t really work for me.

chakaping
    Free Member

Do people really dislike others just because of who they vote for? Really really?

Of course.

See also Michael Caine.

akira

Conversely I think I might like Colin Firth a bit more than before.

DezB
    Free Member

I don’t really read autobiographies, self aggrandising bellends telling the world how great they are doesn’t really work for me.

Rather knowledgeable about autiobiographies for someone that doesn’t read them. 😆

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

See also Michael Caine.

I seem to remember his policy is “two terms is enough”. So do you like him for 8* years, then not, then do etc.?

aP
    Free Member

Rather knowledgeable about autiobiographies for someone that doesn’t read them

Yours was alright though 😉

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Ye gods that OP reminded me of a time when we once dropped in to witness an Annie Nightingale DJ slot at the Big Chill. We lasted all of 2 minutes before sodding off. A full 120 seconds within which we were subjected to blipvert style blasts of vintage news-footage of events such as you mention, cut with snips of ‘choons ov the day’. Came over as relentless, disjointed, and self-conscious. Rather than the ‘momentous’ set that I’m sure she imagines it was. And I do remember correctly. Horrible. Felt good to slip into the cool night and away from such aching guffrage.

DezB
    Free Member

Yours was alright though

Cos I just tell everyone what I dick I am. 8)

chakaping
    Free Member

I seem to remember his policy is “two terms is enough”. So do you like him for 8* years, then not, then do etc.?

Come again?

DezB
    Free Member

I used to really really like Mary Anne Hobbs! Like, we exchanged emails n everything!
    Then, I found out that her musical taste just goes with whatever show she’s asked to present. What a let down! (I knew about some rock show thing, but thought she’d seen the light!) Then on a review show she slagged off this great track and a few months later the bloke who made it DIED! I bet she didn’t even care, the bitch.

dazh

I have a signed copy of John Major’s autobiography. As someone who’s rabidly anti-tory after reading it I quite liked him.

johndoh
    Free Member

So where do you stand on the MOBO’s?

Don’t start me on that one.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Of course.

Then that makes them a right bellend.

I seriously can’t believe that’s serious though.

hodgynd
    Free Member

I’ve never actually “liked” the bloke or been a fan but I saw Gary Glitter in Baileys Nightclub, Leicester 39 years ago and thought he put on a good show without ever realising what a **** sick bastard he would turn out to be ..

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

chakaping – Member

Come again?[/quote]

Michael Caine, if memory serves correct will vote for who ever is in opposition if the government has been in place for two terms.

Eg voted labour in 97 and 2001 then conservative subsequently and will do that until they’ve had two terms in office* then vote labour again.

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve still got a Gary Glitter album. I like it.
    Wouldn’t make him a cup of tea or anything though.

avdave2

I have an autographed copy of The Rolf Harris Song Book, as well as the cartoon dedication he penned in it for us my ex wife had the added bonus of a grope, as did my friend Rachel. They were rather too surprised to be offended.

Took a while longer before he really went down in my estimation.

chakaping
    Free Member

Thanks for the explanation.

To answer your question, no I’d have even less respect for him basing his voting on such a facile principle.

johnx2
    Free Member

Almost the other way round with this guy. Nobber but knows it, and a right rollicking read…

khani
    Free Member

David Bowie, nazi loving Hitler fan ****..
    I always thought Clapton and Glitter were grade A tossers!

kayak23

Used to like Joe Cocker, but have become tired of his gravelly drone.
    Saying that though, I wouldn’t want anything bad to happen to the man.

johndoh
    Free Member

Brandon Flowers.

Used to really like The Killers and wound up going to see them live in Sheffield. By co-incidence they were being interviewed on TV shortly afterwards and he came across as disinterested, bored and spent the whole interview being rude towards the interviewer.

I can barely listen to them now.

km79
    Free Member

Phil Collins, apparently, but I can’t remember who said it.

I can’t speak for his music as I’m not really into music but I have met Phil Collins many times as he frequently stayed in a little b&b/inn place I used to drink in back when I was a student. He was very humble and down to earth, bought everyone drinks all the time but without showing off about it and would always join us for a chat and a drink. You wouldn’t have known he was so successful because he just came across as a normal bloke. The place he stayed at must have been one of the cheapest places around as well, he could have stayed anywhere or even bought his own place nearby but he liked staying there because the owner and everyone else just treated him normal which he liked.

DezB
    Free Member

Exactly! Never seen Alexei Sayle’s Stuff?

NICE?! I don’t want my rock stars to be NICE!

khani
    Free Member

I don’t mind if they’re not nice, I like John Lydon and he’s a right tosspot!
    but I have to draw the line at racist nazi ****..

doris5000

Anthony Kiedis.

frankly I went off him with the coffee-table schlock that was Californication but the autobiography really sealed it

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Used to really like The Killers and wound up going to see them live in Sheffield. By co-incidence they were being interviewed on TV shortly afterwards and he came across as disinterested, bored and spent the whole interview being rude towards the interviewer.

But these guys get interviewed constantly and often have nothing to say and they know it, so I generally give them some slack in this area.

ref Alan Clark – I had several occasions to “meet” him as he always dropped in the establishment where I worked when travelling to his house in Scotland, he was very charming, remembered peoples names, told funny stories and was quite self deprecating. Total Snob.

Chris Evans, – liked him, hated him, liked him again, can’t be arsed with him now.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 133 total)

The topic ‘People you used to like..’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts