• This topic has 166 replies, 93 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by emsz.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 167 total)
  • People with flash cars and modest houses
  • parkesie
    Free Member

Pop over to piston heads there’s a thread dedicated to super cars in driveways of semis

fasthaggis

I think now that this is getting to an interesting discussion after the first page of flaming the heart of STW. I get that it’s about different priorities and different situations and we won’t all understand other’s opinions.

😛

nick1962
    Free Member

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I’ve got a shit car and a tiny house but spend a fortune on strippers

giantalkali
    Free Member

I just lean my dustbin against any neighbour’s cars that I don’t like the look of.

molgrips
    Free Member

Bloke up the road from us in a three bedroom semi has a range rover sport. He cares nothing for his appearance, he’s not just fat but corpulent and decaying, and goes around in equally decaying tag t-shirts and jogging bottoms, but a few times I’ve seen an Aston Martin or similar in the drive for a weekend. I even saw him sitting in it in the drive with the engine running, just sitting there.

I think he really likes flash cars.

grum
    Free Member

I’ve got a shit car and a tiny house but spend a fortune on strippers

Coke and hookers surely?

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

Coke and hookers surely?

Nope…

myopic
    Free Member

Sugar Daddy visiting his bit on the side?

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

My dog cost more than my car.

MrSmith
    Free Member

It’s not so much the car/house thing but the ratio of mean/median/average income relative to the cost of a car.
    People on ‘average’ incomes driving a car worth 3-4 times their salary, it may make sense to them but it certainly doesn’t to me.

scruff
    Free Member

Anyone whose car is worth more than their bikes is on the wrong forum 😛

sr0093193
    Free Member

I could lease a £40k car but wouldn’t get a mortgage for a small house even tho my repayments would be less than my current rent…..go figure.

poly
    Free Member

My brother would probably fall into that camp – although his car is not that flash its flasher than his house, and when you add his missus car in too… not bought on PCP, but paid for in cash! His salary is pretty healthy (and comes with a final salary pension) and it probably bemuses people that he hasn’t moved up the property ladder when everyone else did. BUT, he had paid off his mortgage in full by the time he was 36 – his house is just big enough and he looked at his life and said he’d rather enjoy his salary by living comfortably than plough it into a bigger house just because its what everyone else does. Possibly the only sensible choice he’s ever made! If you don’t have any mortgage payments you can afford a lot.

frankconway

PCP – the next financial bubble.
    Salary sacrifice schemes will follow soon afterwards – and are financial poison; the most northerly county council on the eastern side of england are now pushing these as a means of paying for holidays; spread the cost boys’n’girls while the council, their partners and ‘consultants’ all take their cut – and you pay massively over the odds. Will then be promoted to other LA’s and governmental organisations as a great scheme for suckers, aka employees.

sbob
    Free Member

I need to know what the OP drives before I can launch into a barrage of abuse…

kerley
    Free Member

he hasn’t moved up the property ladder when everyone else did. BUT, he had paid off his mortgage in full by the time he was 36 – his house is just big enough and he looked at his life and said he’d rather enjoy his salary by living comfortably than plough it into a bigger house

I think that is a great approach – whether using the money for cars, bikes, holiday etc,.

If you are not interested in passing on the wealth in your house through inheritance then what is the point of putting so much money into a house. Chances are that in the final 1-2 years of your life it will go to pay for a care home.

molgrips
    Free Member

If you are not interested in passing on the wealth in your house through inheritance then what is the point of putting so much money into a house

But you could use part of the house as investment. So put lots of money in and then downsize when you retire or your kids move out. That would be a good investment no? Assuming prices go up over the 30 years or so.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

We live in a 2 bed terrace, mortgage,has a few years left. House is nout special but it’s comfortable. She drives a Mercedes Cla 250 AMG on pcp. I have a Kawasaki Ninja 650 on hp.
    We have two holidays a year, we have over £5000 worth of Pythons and boas in our back room and breed them.
    Both on reasonable Salaries £30k per year me and her just under £40k.
    Her daughter and boyfriend both earn £20-25k and pay £300 rent and contribute to the bills.
    Both of them have Modest cars on pcp also. (Renault Clio Sport and VW Polo Gti) again both have two holidays per year.
    Next door is a truck driver and has a BMW X5. All the rest of the cars on the street are mostly brand new or 2 years old max.

Who needs a fancy house. If it’s warm and comfortable. Although we do plan to move into a new build 3 bed detached with Garage in the next 12 months! But I want a garage rather than a back yard!

Drac

I need to know what the OP drives before I can launch into a barrage of abuse…

An XC60 that replaced his Audi.

matt_outandabout

PCP – the next financial bubble

I agree. I’ve a colleague on one. They didn’t understand you culd move between manufacturers, so didn’t look to do so, didn’t look online to compare, just walked back into main stealer at the end of 3years, with car way over miles (having been told by main stealer ‘it’s ok, we will sort that at end, no change needed mid-contact), and basically handed back a car in negative equity, new deposit laid down and stellar monthly payments as he does 25k miles a year. And two weeks in the car is scratched in car park and filthy inside from carrying wet dog and mucky work stuff.

The negative equity and new deposit would have bought my car outright and then some….

trail_rat
    Free Member

we had an apprentice living at home – with a new beemer 1 series….

his insurance bill for the year was more than my car cost.

he could barely afford to fuel it to drive to work.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I have a neighbour with a new jaguar xkr, a mercedes a class amg and a mini cooper s. His wife works in a supermarket checkout and his house is worth about £160k.

It’s his money but I don’t get it.

kerley
    Free Member

But you could use part of the house as investment. So put lots of money in and then downsize when you retire or your kids move out.

To me it is just the wrong way round, having lots of money when you retire by making yourself poorer when younger.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Maybe you should look at the “Working all you life. What’s that all about?” thread.

Andy-R

Shows how little I know – I had to google “PCP” to find out what you were all going on about.

I don’t get it though – but then, if I could live a life without a car (or actually, a van) then I would do. I get no pleasure out of driving, not here and not even in Greece usually. It’s just a means of getting from one place to another or moving stuff about.
    Maybe I’m just old.

johndoh
    Free Member

An XC60 that replaced his Audi.

An outgoing model XC60 costing almost half what the Audi did per month. But neither of them could possibly be classed in the same bracket as the sort of cars I was discussing in the OP – the Audi cost £450 a month – a quick look shows Range Rovers at > £1,000 a month (and that’s on 5k a year) 😯

Maybe I’m just old.

Me too 🙂

Drac

He asked what you drove, I answered.

£450 a month? That’s more than my mortgage.

johndoh
    Free Member

£450 a month? That’s more than my mortgage.

Aaaand?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Live in an ex-forestry commission semi in rural Cheshire, granted we’ve just had a big ass extension doubling the size of the ground floor that costing over half what we paid for the house initially in 2006, but we’ve got a pair of 3 Series M-Sports sat on the gravel drive.

The wife’s is about to be replaced by a spangly Evoke.

Both company cars, so no mileage limits 😀

elliott-20
    Free Member

Every house I’ve owned has increased in value considerbly.

Every car I’ve owned has lost money.

I live in a big house (respective to my ‘needs’) and drive a ’55 plate Polo.

My bike is worth more than my car.

My choice too.

DT78
    Free Member

It’s a choice, I have mates who have had a nice cars for years and a modest home, they seem happy. I however kept the same banger for 16 years and bought a big renovation project (so some years from being flash). My plan is the appreciation and the value add I can put in by updating will make me a chunk of money to help with retire, whilst I get to live in a nice spacious house (which on occasions looks like a building site).

Must. Admit it would be much more enjoyable to have stayed in the last place mortgage free and have a Porsche….

johnx2
    Free Member

Anyone whose car is worth more than their bikes is on the wrong forum

Blimey. The new (optimistically lower mid-range) bike means I’m unequivocally into the points here. Also the fact my vehicles/houses price ratio is under 0.15% must mean the OP really approves of me. Even if the neighbours don’t. I’ll just bask for a bit.

grum
    Free Member

Well I think spending £450 a month on a car is absolutely ludicrous, but each to their own.

Drac

Aaaand?

What? It’s more than my mortgage that’s about it really.

johndoh
    Free Member

What? It’s more than my mortgage that’s about it really.

Ahh okay, so no actual point or insight for me to take from it then?

Well I think spending £450 a month on a car is absolutely ludicrous, but each to their own.

Agreed – I wish I had never done it and that’s why my current car costs almost half that.

Drac

Not much more than somene starting a thread about other people’s choices are their cars no.

johndoh
    Free Member

Not much more than somene starting a thread about other people’s choices are their cars no.

116 responses suggests otherwise 😉

finbar
    Free Member

And what about people with crap houses and crap cars….

Fiat Panda, terrace in Hillsborough here 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 167 total)

The topic ‘People with flash cars and modest houses’ is closed to new replies.