Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 128 total)
  • People who wont fuel up unless the pump is on the closest side to their tank !
  • wobbliscott
    Free Member

I fill to the click….then give the nozzle a good few taps to get every drop out of the nozzle, then lift the drooping part of the hose to get the stuff that’s pooling in the U-bend of the hose. I usually get a nice satisfying gush of fuel from the contents of the U-bend of the hose – probably not that much in volume – a few centi-litres at the most, but all stuff that’s passed the flow meter so bought and paid for so i’m not going to leave it behind.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Every time I fill up completely the bloody thing gets nicked or suffers a catastrophic terminal failure. The girlfriend frowns at me keeping 45l of petrol in milk-bottles in the kitchen so £10 top-ups it is.

Fine, steal my car – it’s insured. But I’m not paying for your bloody fuel.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I usually get a nice satisfying gush of fuel from the contents of the U-bend of the hose – probably not that much in volume –

I think you’ll find that you pay for everything that gets past the nozzle.

Not that I’m an expert or anything though. 😆

butcher

I always brim mine, but mostly because I like to calculate the fuel economy (like a geek), and out of convenience I guess. Probably makes more sense to half fill and not carry the extra weight around.

Seen something the other day, maybe on facebook, so how true it is I don’t know… But it claimed that modern fuel pumps have an intake valve to take fuel back in, to prevent spillage and overfilling I guess. So it was advising never to fill to the click. Can anyone verify that one?

gowerboy

There must be other annoying things in garages….How about waiting for the air machine to put air in your tires. Must be a rant in that… People parking next to it to go to the shop…. Others faffing about not knowing how to work the machine. Lots to get cross about here.

holst
    Free Member

On the scale of things that annoy me, this hardly rates and I get irritated easily. Basically, people are stupid and blunder around getting in my way constantly, it wastes hours of my time. If I’m in a bad mood, I shout at them and wave my fist in the air. It doesn’t stop people being stupid, but it makes me feel better knowing that I’ve made someone else unhappy.

chestrockwell

Can’t be bothered to read the whole thread but we have a decent sized car (Kuga) and I am yet to find a petrol pump hose that won’t reach over to the ‘wrong’ side.

The other day I went for fuel and there was a three car queue behind the pump on the ‘right’ side for my car. I went to the ‘wrong’ side that was free. It didn’t irk me as I got my fuel quicker.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

glasgowdan
    Free Member

mattbee – Member
    It’s a right ball ache using the wrong side to fill my Freelander due to the filler position & there’s a high likelihood of the hose scratching the crap out of my paint.

My freelander must be smaller than your as it’s never been more effort than any other petrol station visit.

Xylene
    Free Member

What you all need is a driver. No worries about filling up. When in the office driver can make sure the car is full. No need to wait at pumps out worry about fuel.

I wouldn’t be without one now.

aracer
    Free Member

I’ve yet to find one which won’t reach on mine – though I’ve not done an extensive survey on petrol stations, almost always use supermarket ones which I guess tend to be up to date, and fill up on the easier side given the choice. I do tend to reverse back in to the pump to get as close as possible if filling wrong side though.

wilburt
    Free Member

Within 5 years you’ll all be charging your cars with leccy which will give whole new list of gripes to get bothered about.

I like those who wont fill either side means I get a free pump whilst they queue. I fill once every couple of months though so its not a big deal.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I usually get a nice satisfying gush of fuel from the contents of the U-bend of the hose

are you pulling the lever at the same time thats the only way anything from the loop is getting to the tank

Ill use either side how ever i did once forget i was driving a hitop transit….that didnt work 😀

kerley
    Free Member

Some pumps are long enough to stretch to the other side.
    Some aren’t.

Exactly why I only fill up from the side of the filler. To try and use the opposite side only to find that it doesn’t stretch is more annoying that waiting behind people.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Three. Pages.

DrJ

I tend to take the hose the long way round.

Fnarr fnarr.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Three. Pages.

I. Know. Amazing. Isn’t. It?

Anyway, when I had my place it was amazing how many people pulled up on the wrong side but also too far away for the hose to reach, so I’d say, ‘you need to get closer to the pump or go round the other side’. Invariably if they did the latter they drove round the other side, ending up pointing the other way on the other side of the pump. Happenned often. 🙄

sadexpunk

Invariably if they did the latter they drove round the other side, ending up pointing the other way on the other side of the pump. Happenned often.

haha, just like that youtube vid ^^, hard to know if that was set up tho, it must be funny to see in person 🙂

ive only filled up the wrong side once, and it oooonly just reached. i was conscious of everyone else thinking “clever tw*t, jumping the queue, hope it doesnt reach” so was mighty relieved the nozzle juuuust had enough to do the job. hose was tight on the paintwork tho and i had to move my magnetic aerial on tailgate, bit of a faff, i just thought naaaah, got away with it that time, im not leaving myself open to public humiliation again 🙂

parkesie
    Free Member

Some people do reach arounds some dont. Its only polite to reach around.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Good point on the nozzle thing. It must just be the contents of the nozzle after the valve that comes out when I lift everything past the horizontal rather than the contents of the hose. Anyway I like to wring every drop out Watching people who just withdrawing the nozzle as soon as they finish filling up often as they pull it out a drizzle of fuel flows out dow the side of their car and onto the floor. There is a good quarter of a mile in that lot.

nickc

3 pages of complaining about petrol stations…some of you are going to have heart attacks if you carry on like that. 😥

squirrelking
    Free Member

Yet to find a hose that isn’t manky and covered in grit, for that reason alone I won’t stretch off a reel (yes I could hold it but sod doing that for the duration it takes to fill 60+ litres plus push down on the stupid filler hole because someone designed it badly [Mondeo]).

Overhead hoses are fine but few and far between in my experience.

deadkenny
    Free Member

wilburt – Member 
    Within 5 years you’ll all be charging your cars with leccy which will give whole new list of gripes to get bothered about.

Yep. It’s still not been thought through for the masses to use. Wait until people realise they have to trail a power cable out of their house, and those who park on the street will have fun with a trip hazard and temptation for power theft or scrotes to cut the cable for a laugh. Unlikely councils will put in charge points or certainly not enough for every car and then there’s the issue that you have no right to park outside your own house in most streets unless it’s allocated parking.

spursn17
    Free Member

3 pages of complaining about petrol stations…some of you are going to have heart attacks if you carry on like that.

+1

People in general get right on my tits as I’m a seriously grumpy old man.

I’ve learned to ignore people who get on my tits now as it doesn’t end well when I don’t! 😀

andytherocketeer

Within 5 years you’ll all be charging your cars with leccy

unlikely. a slightly more significant minority might be.

saying that I do now have a new parking space, so I could feasibly run a cable out my kitchen window, down one storey, across the neighbours roof, down on to the 8-car car port, along to the other end, and drop down to my car. about 100m of cable should do it. I assume you can charge a Tesla from a standard 230V socket on a 16A circuit?

at work we have 4 parking bays (in a 6 floor multistorey) with access to power.

I’ll drive round the wrong side, and make the hose full of 98 octane stretch round to reach, tyvm.

Northwind

In 5 years I’ll probably still be driving my scabrous mondeo.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

In 5 years I’ll probably still be driving my scabrous mondeo.

hydrogen powered car.

Northwind

Bet you 20 pence?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Aye aye they said that 10years ago.

Hydrogen busses round were a massive flop.

MrOvershoot

esselgruntfuttock you are due an award…

“a man who looks dashing in overalls”

Pete is right its brightened my day 😀

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

esselgruntfuttock you are due an award…

“a man who looks dashing in overalls”

Thank you for the accolade! It’s the only one of I’ve got of me in overalls unfortunately.

Aye aye they said that 10years ago.

Hydrogen busses round were a massive flop.

That was 10 years ago though & Toyota seem confident….

https://www.toyota.co.uk/new-cars/new-mirai/landing?gclid=Cj0KEQiAzZHEBRD0ivi9_pDzgYMBEiQAtvxt-OBUg8vzY13z1Yf1DDp-YGAY9JLKs3x7fY9m1k_QXUkaAoNm8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CL6dhfyz1dECFQY4GwoddwMOxA#

simmy
    Free Member

I use the Ultimate or V Power fuel in mine
    why? Is it any different ?

Mine runs better on it and needs the DPF regenerating less when running on V Power. It’s more expensive but works out the same as normal fuel for me as I get a couple of MPG more and fuel vouchers on the loyalty points.

I’ve checked it Over the last year and 25,000 miles and it works for me.

Only £20 a time for me when filling up. Easier to remember for my accounts, leaves me loads of receipts that my accountant has to go through 😀 but I’m a tight git so if the car engine explodes or it gets written off by some clown and the tanks is full, that’s £25 wasted that’s going to be drained by some grease monkey into his old Transit recovery wagon 😀 better in my pocket.

I’d tank it for a long journey, but I’m mostly round town.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

What irks me is people sitting behind you, waiting for the pump when THE REST OF THE PUMPS are free, then they stare at you when you walk out like you need to hurry. Ha…. I’ll take my time b1tch.

andytherocketeer

I use the Ultimate or V Power fuel in mine
    why? Is it any different ?

Can’t speak for such branding on Diesel, but many petrol cars are tuned for 98 octane rather than regular 95. Mine gets 7% more fuel economy running such fuels (the ones it’s designed to use), compared to normal 95 (which it will accept, but is not preferred). That’s significant.

I’d hurry back to the car if I can see people are queuing both sides, and I was probably queuing myself. If they’re waiting because they’re too scared to make the hose stretch, then they’re clearly not in a hurry either 😉 (unless it’s a huge van or something where stretching the hose is a bit much).

noltae
    Free Member

Forecourt etiquette – A microcosm of society . .

cbike
    Free Member

The lack of a latch surely helps reduce the risk of static electricity sparks as it’s the faffing around and rentering the car while wearing polyester that builds up charge. It forces you to stay outside.

D0NK

As said, people with plenty of time on their hands waiting for the “correct side” pumps to be available leave the “wrong side” pumps available for me, but yeah sometimes idiots block access to the other pumps while they’re waiting, grrrr, quite vexacious!

How about waiting for the air machine to put air in your tires.

if there’s a queue WTF don’t you take your dust caps off while you’re waiting?

woodster

I took all the lacquer of the back of my old Merc by not holding the hose off the body work, so now I’m pretty careful about drips and not letting the hose touch, but I’ll still fill up from either side. Life’s too short to spend any longer than necessary in a petrol station.

CountZero

Yeah, riiiiiiight.

integerspin
    Free Member

I have to do both sides sometimes. The tanks are under the seats.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 128 total)

The topic ‘People who wont fuel up unless the pump is on the closest side to their tank !’ is closed to new replies.