Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • People who grow on you…
  • Premier Icon the-muffin-man
    Subscriber

I’ll start with Shaun Keaveny.

Never liked him on the 6 Music breakfast show – possibly due to the nature of a breakfast shows you generally grab snippets of listening. He always seemed a bit too laid back for early morning.

I was gutted when RadMac were taken off afternoons and Shaun Keaveny was announced, but he’s rather grown on me. Not saying I wouldn’t have RadMac back but you know…

…cats, maybe cats operating in gangs! 🙂

binners.

Oh, hang on, you said “grown” not “groan.”

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

Oh, hang on, you said “grown” not “groan.”

Thats a bit overtly sexual for you DD.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

He’s constantly confused by the feelings I arouse in him.

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

*leaves disturbing thread*

Premier Icon 4130s0ul
    Subscriber

Quatto

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Kuato.

Premier Icon tjagain
    Subscriber

Prof Brian Cox. Didn’t like him at first, grew to really appreciate him. I think he has got less awkward in front of the TV camera as well

Frank Skinner.

Don’t know why I never liked him, but I really enjoy his Absolute Radio show on Saturday mornings now.

PrinceJohn

Nigel Farage, I used to think he was just another politician, but it turns out….

I can even joke about it he’s an utterly despicable human.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

@trailwagger – have you read his biography? Its a great read

He’s had a rum old life. He was a proper ‘vodka on your cornflakes’ alcoholic and all his stories of his drunken tours of the working mens clubs of the midlands are laugh out loud funny.

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

Frank Skinner.

Don’t know why I never liked him, but I really enjoy his Absolute Radio show on Saturday mornings now.

He’s definitely got better with age, was all a bit ladish in the 90s.

Good radio show.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

I’m probably going to get lynched for this but, Chris Moyles.

I remember him in his Radio 1 breakfast show days and he was an utter shit to the rest of the team. Couldn’t stand him.

Fast-forward to a couple of years ago and I caught him presenting on Radio X and it seems like he’s grown up a lot. Granted I’ve only listened to his newer show a couple of times but what I heard was pretty enjoyable.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Oh, and,

Ricky Gervais. I used to find him about as funny as a root canal. I still find him about as funny as a root canal, but he does seem to be a genuine decent guy.

ElShalimo

Michael Portillo – an absolute twunt in Parliament but an almost reformed character since he revealed his fascination with choo choos and Pevsner guides

nicko74

Michael Portillo – an absolute twunt in Parliament but an almost reformed character since he revealed his fascination with choo choos and Pevsner guides

He’s hilarious. Marching around India, seemingly unable to walk normally on camera, bellowing at locals and camera alike, banging on incessantly about his Bradshaws train guide…

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash
    Subscriber

MrsMC. First met in a meeting where she was sat behind me and I remember thinking “pity the fool who has to live with that bossy cow”.

25 years this summer 🤦

Ricky Gervais. I used to find him about as funny as a root canal. I still find him about as funny as a root canal, but he does seem to be a genuine decent guy.

Yep, I agree with that

Rylan.

He’s a likeable bugger.

chewkw

Lucy Worsley the historian.

Initially I don’t like her presentation but later on I like it as it is quite funny and informative but I still prefer David Starkey.

Rylan, can’t help but like him on the radio.
    Tyson Fury. Still a bell end but an incredibly honest and charismatic one.

TS.

Premier Icon funkmasterp
    Subscriber

Kuato

Premier Icon kcal
    Subscriber

I still prefer David Starkey

I’m not sure I’ll ever grow to like Starkey.

In a similar vein to Portillo, though, William Hague seems to have mellowed and become more reflective. Maybe it’s the not having to lead a Tory Party and being able to express thoughtful reflections, or just not having to be the party figurehead – I don’t know.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

If we’re on politicians, Ken Clark.

I also didn’t get Simon Reeve, but now think he is a fantastic human being who really gets people and has a great way of ‘presenting’ while not really ‘presenting’, just speaking to the audience like you were said next to him.

Graham Norton used to make me want to put my boot through the telly when he was on . I hated the way his whole act was based on his sexuality . These days he has morphed into a very good chat show host . He has been replaced by Alan Carr in the makes me
    want to throw the TV out of the window stakes .

MarkBrewer

Tyson Fury. Still a bell end but an incredibly honest and charismatic one

I’m half way through his book at the moment and immediately thought of him when I saw this topic.

Used to think he was a massive bellend a few years ago but I’ve totally changed my opinion now. I’ve got a massive amount of respect for the way he’s spoken out about his problems and used his fame to help awareness of mental health issues.

CountZero

Definitely agree about Portillo, anyone who dresses like he does has to have a sense of humour!
    Lucy Worsely I like as well, but I always have done; she definitely has a lot of fun with her telly work.
    Keaveny still doesn’t do a lot for me, though.

Premier Icon Rusty Spanner
    Subscriber

Steve Terreberry.

Premier Icon colournoise
    Subscriber

In the Portillo vein too, Ed Balls.

Never really didn’t like him, but his documentaries (watching on BBC2 now) seem to reveal a decent, thoughtful, compassionate and pretty humanitarian individual.

Premier Icon Caher
    Subscriber

Ricky Gervais is a decent bloke, my dad knows him.

avdave2

Graham Norton used to make me want to put my boot through the telly when he was on . I hated the way his whole act was based on his sexuality . These days he has morphed into a very good chat show host

I worked with him a week before he did his first appearance on loose ends on Radio 4. He was hosting a meeting we were doing for the Australian Tourist Commission. He was brilliant at talking to people and enabling them to get their message across to the audience. I remember thinking at the time he’d make a brilliant chat show host, someone who puts everyone at ease immediately and would get anyone to open up about anything. A really nice man too and the whole sexuality thing was not even something you’d notice, rather as it should be. I spent years after watching him do stuff where I thought his real talent was wasted. I think he could have had a great chat show back then, think Parkinson meets In The Psychiatrists Chair.

Premier Icon 16stonepig
    Subscriber

Blake from GMBN. Sounds very harsh but I used to turn off his vids within 30 seconds because all the “rad” and “stokeditude” really grated, and seemed like he’s trying too hard.

I’ve now realised that he’s just really excitable, daft, and having fun. I can cope with that.

Maybe it’s my brain saying that I need to see some relentless positivity somewhere.

keir

if you ever listen to the moral maze on radio 4 when he’s on it, former cabinet minister Portillo appears from time to time. Sharp, and hectoring to anyone he disagrees with.

Premier Icon maccruiskeen
    Subscriber

seemingly unable to walk normally on camera,

what is that about?  He’s so consistently unable to stroll that I’m starting to think he’s deliberately doing it to wind up the director. It’s actually the highlight of his programmes for me.

ElShalimo

…. maybe he’s ahead of the game with his enduro style “colour-ways” ?

We’re still waiting on the remix of this song, to be savoured in the flex-pits of the Balearics…

retro83

Cougar

Subscriber

Oh, and,

I’ve been listening the XFM shows and his podcasts most nights for at least 10 years. My conclusion is that he’s a bit of a bully and a trans/homophobe.

On repeat listenings, some parts make for uncomfortable listening. Mostly still very very funny though thanks to the ongoing spat with Dickers Anderson and Bruce’s Karl Dilkington’s input. Obviously some of it is said just to make Karl uncomfortable and get a reaction, but I just get a feeling that there’s some of Ricky’s real thoughts there sometimes e.g. the “Gay Bowel Syndrome” segment

John Bercow.
    When he was my MP I couldn’t stand the bloke as there was never an alternative come election time.
    The way he handled all the knobheads in the HoC has led to a new-found respect and, dare I say it, growth-on.

Premier Icon tjagain
    Subscriber

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.