People who enter a race then don't even do one lap. What's all that about ?

Home Forum Bike Forum People who enter a race then don't even do one lap. What's all that about ?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • People who enter a race then don't even do one lap. What's all that about ?
  • FunkyDunc

I dont know, but I have more important things to do with my time (posting on here) than look at race entry stats…

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

But if it was a race you were competing in, you’d already be looking at the results and would have an idea of pre-entries if you’d sized up the competition.

I agree, although I suspect the vast majority is injuries/holidays/other commitments rather than anything else.

Saying that, if I’d genuinely not done the training you could save a fortune by not going; petrol, food, etc etc, entry fees are only the half of it!

stumpy01

Is it genuine last minute emergencies, or is it people entering months in advance, then realising they haven’t done enough training as the date gets closer and dropping out ?

Probably a mix of emergencies, double booking of diaries & having to miss it, or just something else comes along that for them is more important/more fun.
    Probably also a number enter it & then decide they aren’t fit enough/get injured.

My boss at a place I used to work did this at the Dusk2Dawn. Entered solo with the rationale that he can do the black at Thetford in about 40mins so could just throttle back & cruise round from 8pm to 8am. Then the weather forecast changed to biblical rain & I think he realised that doing a couple of laps in the bright sunshine isn’t quite the same as slogging round for 12 hours at night in the rain. He didn’t bother turning up, which was annoying as he took great joy in telling us what wimps we were for entering it as a team of 3.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Maybe they came to their senses and realised that spending 24 hours riding around a field is the single saddest, most pointless waste of human life ever, and went and found something interesting like a hill, or hell, even a mountain to ride up and down instead?

Just a thought

People like me, who don’t drive, for whom getting to events can actually be a major ball ache, but unless they actually just enter stuff on a whim, they’ll never actually do anything?

druidh

I’ve looked at a few Sportive entry/completion lists and I reckon 20% no-shows is around average.

Premier Icon bruneep
    Subscriber

so can turn up buy the event T shirt, and walk about town looking like I ride bikes, hell I hanna even got a bike. πŸ˜‰

I dont know, but I have more important things to do with my time (posting on here) than look at race entry stats…

It’s a matter of pride.
    If I count my TwentyFour12 result as out of 65, I was top third. πŸ˜€
    If I count my result out of the 47 finishers, I was only top half. πŸ™

TwentyFour12 probably was exceptional though, with that heavy rain on Friday.
    I can imagine that putting a lot of on the day entries off, but surely, if you’ve paid in advance, you might as well turn up and make the most of it.

…spending 24 hours riding around a field is the single saddest, most pointless waste of human life ever,…

I think you’re confusing marathon racing with trailquesting. πŸ˜‰

GaryLake

I think you’re confusing marathon racing with trailquesting.

Shhhhh, don’t feed it!

scruff

I’ve done 3 of these endurance things, decided that beer/BBQ was the most enjoyable part of it so now just go away riding with friends properly then have beer/BBQ.

nbt

binners – Member
    Maybe they came to their senses and realised that spending 24 hours riding around a field is the single saddest, most pointless waste of human life ever, and went and found something interesting like a hill, or hell, even a mountain to ride up and down instead?

Just a thought

Aren’t you currently reigning champion at the endurance race Hit The North? Just sayin’, like. Pot, kettle, y’know…

I thought Hit The North was an “Event”, not a race. πŸ˜‰

Premier Icon Pook
    Subscriber

It’s a pilgrimage

5lab

I did the Brighton Marathon this year. The no-show rate was somewhere close to 40%

what funkydunc said

Mister P

Judging by the state of some of the bikes at MM perhaps some folk were not actually able to start the race even if they wanted to.

uplink

I entered the CRC marathon at Marshbrook and didn’t turn up

I forgot about it until late on the Saturday afternoon

oldgit

On one occasion I almost quit before I started. Just heard the sound of rain hitting the tent and thought I just couldn’t face another 24 hours of mud plugging. Luckilly that day bike one didn’t last a lap, then I broke my finger in a fall. Jey as it might sound it flippin hurt so I pulled out πŸ™‚

They can be a bit ****. I’ve never done a 24 where it felt like a race.

Premier Icon Harry_the_Spider
    Subscriber

HtN is a “Happening”. πŸ˜€

We had a no show ratio of anout 1 in 10 IIRC.

Whatever… we had their money.

uplink

I reckon I’d do a lot more events if they were held on a Saturday

I did the Selkirk marathon but couldn’t help thinking they’d missed a trick – they apparently put on live music etc in the bar on Saturday night,
    Not much good to me if I have a long ride the next day, I quite enjoy a good drink after a long ride with mates but it’s just not going to happen on the Sunday evening with everyone getting back off for work etc.

Think I’ll do the road sportive next year

SITS;
    93 solo men pre-entered, although the numbers went up to 110, so there must have been a few on the day entries.
    94 riders listed in the results.

TwentyFour12;
    65 pre-entered
    47 listed in the results.

I know there’s always going to be people who drop out of any event because of unforeseen circumstances, but that about 10% at SITS and nearly 1/3 of the people who paid to race at 24/12 didn’t turn up.

What’s going on ?
    Is it genuine last minute emergencies, or is it people entering months in advance, then realising they haven’t done enough training as the date gets closer and dropping out ?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘People who enter a race then don't even do one lap. What's all that about ?’ is closed to new replies.