Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • People who complain about wheel suckers.
  • Watch this. They are actually helping you. 😛

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PevpVXelq8A&feature=youtu.be[/video]

geetee1972
    Free Member

The hard fact is that if you think you’re doing well sitting on someone’s wheel and keeping up, but only just, then actually you’re probably about 20% weaker that the person in front.

cynic-al
    Free Member

It’s the courtesy and safety aspect that bugs me.

So I just leave them in my dust.

pondo

The same principle applies for cars on the motorway. So – are we happy when someone sits six inches off your bumper? After all, they’re helping you save fuel, no?

allthepies
    Free Member

Do you help you if you have to brake suddenly and they pile into your rear wheel ?

geetee1972
    Free Member

I have a friend who has a habit of drafting whomever looks to be the quickest going up Box Hill and then coming around them on the last corner to ‘take the win’. The worst part is he then brags about it afterwards.

You know who you are James….Sucks my wheel

D0NK

Watch this. They are actually helping you.

safety concerns aside, they’d help a damn sight more if they took a turn upfront

brakes
    Free Member

So I just leave them in my dust.

well, we know that’s a lie… it’s not possible with a triple.

DT78
    Free Member

See, I had a little tow from a chap this weekend, he was going pretty fast around 19ish on the flat so too fast for me to easily overtake, so I tucked in behind for around 10 mins or so till we got to a small climb where I think he did his best to burn me. When he failed he turned round a gave me a ‘stare’ to which I cheerily responded with thanks for the tow, would you like me to take a turn? He said a grumpy no so I wished him a good day and rode on. What is the problem with it? I,ve towed people before got no problem with it, if they can keep up fair play.

brakes
    Free Member

What is the problem with it?

it’s annoying because if you’re training, the desire to compete with the other rider is too strong (for me anyway) and so it’s off-putting.
    maybe be was pushing himself to get rid of you on the flat and was too burned out for the climb.
    plus I’m not prepared to take the risk that you’re a decent enough rider not to crash into me.

cynic-al
    Free Member

DT78 – Member
    What is the problem with it?

It’s akin to invasion of personal space, alongside the safety concern. The least you can do is ask – what’s your problem with not drafting folk?

bluebird
    Free Member

so I tucked in behind for around 10 mins … cheerily responded with thanks for the tow, would you like me to take a turn?

Quick to take a turn at the front, eh? 😉

DT78
    Free Member

I have drafted 3 strangers in 2 years of riding so not a common occurrence, normally there is enough of a difference (either they are faster or I am) that it isn’t a problem. Just occasionally you come across someone who is about the same on the same bit of road as you so you can’t just fly past them, or you have to stop for a bit to let them get away.

As for announcing I have said hi but it is pretty hard to be heard at speed, either that or I’m just been ignored.

I’m far more worried by being hit by a car than some chap drafting me. After all as the rider in front is likely to be your own fault by braking hard at a random point. How many accidents have you had from a rider drafting you?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

This was the last stage of the race I did in January, it’s accepted that you need to do the roadie thing along the beach.

I couldn’t stay with the guys who sprinted out when we hit the beach in our group and ended up with a train behind. Every time I pulled across and tried to drop back the buggers behind did the same. Buggers

brakes
    Free Member

why not draw alongside and say “can I draft you for a bit?”, “do you want to ride together, we seem to be matched for speed?”, “wanna wrestle?”, etc.

if someone wheelsucks me, I tend to just slow up until they go past, if we’re well matched I tend to sit back a few bike lengths or out to the side a bit.

ads678

When did drafters become wheel suckers?

cynic-al
    Free Member

DT78 – Member
    After all as the rider in front is likely to be your own fault by braking hard at a random point.

LOL – blame the other person eh? 🙄

I don’t want to be having to think about someone 6″ from my wheel on my bike, just as I don’t when driving. That said this only happens to me on my commute – and I have had someone I didn’t know was there go into the back of me.

scotroutes

Just aim for a pot hole and bunny hop it. That should shake them off.

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

If someone wants to stare at my no ass, it’s up to them. It’s play ground politics. Grown men should do just that…grow up.

stevious

Really interesting to watch that. I notice in the video the guy they’re measuring is already pretty aerodynamic – I wonder if the effects seen are the same size if you’re wearing baggies and on a less aero bike?

Daffy

Thanks for that. 🙂

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

If your out solo for a ride and you pick up a draft and your strava’ing your effort based on a history of rides then I can see that it might upset the applecart. But really, I don’t see what the moaning is about. It just changes your ride and that’s normally a good tool.
    Safety? If someone runs into the back out you its likely them going down.

This was the last stage of the race I did in January, it’s accepted that you need to do the roadie thing along the beach

Only on one section? If you’re not drafting at every appropriate opportunity in a mtb race… You’re doing it wrong! I’d sacrifice some speed on access road or doubletrack to save that effort and recover and then invest that saved effort into areas I can put much more time into other racers.

njee20
    Free Member

Safety? If someone runs into the back out you its likely them going down.your mech that gets smashed

FTFY – I’d be rather unhappy if someone trashed the non-replaceable hanger on my nice road bike because I had to brake.

Agree with Al though, for whatever reason it seems to be a commute thing.

DaRC_L

So is it ok to draft someone who busts a gut to ‘burn’ past you (whilst attempting to make it look easy) and then eases up/blows?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘People who complain about wheel suckers.’ is closed to new replies.