Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)
  • People that scratch/key/ding cars
  • rascal
    Free Member

Along with bike thieves they are the scum of the earth.
    I know there are far worse crimes out there but it really makes my p*ss boil when the newish car arrives home with yet another injury having spent time in a public carpark. The worst thing is that’s nothing you can do about it. Do jealous people who drive heaps-of-sh*t look at mark-free cars and think ‘I’ll show ’em!’?
    Bloody seems like that sometimes…rant over 👿

trail_rat
    Free Member

Where as i look at my heapofshit when a company car user batters their door off it and think. You ****.

My mate bought a near new a5 and spent every minute fretting over it.

Bangernomics means i really dont care 🙂

beefheart
    Free Member

My car is somewhere in between a heap of shit and a company car, and a seagull took it upon itself to carry something or other onto the roof of my car and hack at it with it’s beak- resulting in lots of scratches on my car’s roof!
    I have access to shotguns, but apparently it’s illegal to shoot a seagull FFS!

milky1980
    Free Member

I’ve had the opposite 😡

Drive an 8 year old car, in reasonable nick but not overly fond of it. Twice I’ve seen biffers in expensive cars slam their doors into it, twice I’ve confronted them. First was apologetic, then dinged it again (old lady so willing to forgive her that one). The other was some 20-something in a Porsche Cayenne, didn’t give a toss. Spoke down to me to the effect of “You should work harder and you could afford a car like mine!” Err, if I could afford a car like yours I would be at the Land Rover dealership getting a Defender with all the toys, not an poncy off-roader that makes me look like a drug dealer/expensive personal trainer/cock. Although it is surprising how much you can get for a Cayenne passenger wing mirror on Ebay 😈

It may well be a crappy little car but it’s my crappy little car 😥

Matt24k
    Free Member

People that scratch/key/ding cars

Are usually kids or pi55ed. They usually grow up or sober up and regret their actions. The ones that don’t come to regret it should be hung, drawn and quartered in a caring way of course.

MSP

Your car has too high a priority in you life, have a read of a couple of the recent threads about kids playing in the streets. Then get a grip and realise its just a machine to move you around.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I had a little altercation at the supermarket whilst on holiday , after watching through the shop window some fat bint open her door onto my car! Q storming to the entrance to confront her and her husband re the matter. She was somewhat surprised to say the least. On watching them leave said spot she got in the drivers side which had a bigger gap and reversed out before her husband got in 👿

antigee

I try not be precious about cars but once had a few hundred pounds worth of damage done by someone keying through to the base all the way along the side of newish car – on holiday in Cornwall – no room to park in supermarket car park so had parked in nearby residential street – which I guess must have been some one’s “private property” and not a public road 🙄

bigyinn
    Free Member

The nicest car I ever owned got keyed, spray painted, door dinged and reversed into whilst parked. My other half’s cars have had footprints on the roof as well. I don’t own a car these days……..
    MSP just because it doesn’t matter to you, doesn’t make you right. Perhaps I could come over to your place and spraypaint your front door?

daveky
    Free Member

It gives me no pleasure to say this but the ones who damage cars are often on benefits and really should be grateful that the idiots in government think it is justified to reward their laziness and/or poor judgement with tax credits. Don’t kid yourself they ever regret it because they hate you as you have a better car than them and probably ever will have. The only time they would do is if they were caught and would tell the judge it was completely out of character. It never ceases to amaze me how aggressive a lot of the benefits jockeys are. They are completely ungrateful for the money and think they are entitled. What is this entitlement? It’s only because some idiot in Whitehall thought it was a good idea to give single mums £1500 a month and a property for doing nothing. That’s one of the reasons this country is such a bad place to live these days. Can’t get anywhere on the roads, can’t leave anything out otherwise it gets nicked, can’t look at somebody without getting threatened etc.

As for 20 somethings in Cayennes or anything nice for that matter if you could trace it back you would nearly always find it is due to family money in someway. I don’t begrudge those with nice cars they have just been more fortunate. All the people I know with nice cars have relatives giving/given them money/property/directorship in the family firm. They hate to admit it but it’s v. rarely entirely their own efforts.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Stereotypetrackworld no less.

gears_suck
    Free Member

That’s what you get for going to Cornwall emit .Yamyam!

mrmo
    Free Member

always tend to park away from the shops in the car park, tend to have a bit more room and less impatient ****ers slamming doors, or kids not realising what happens if you open a door without paying enough attention.

Yes it is only a car, but i paid for it and it is my car to trash not someone else’s! and as is constantly mentioned regarding bikes, think of the resale value. Paint work does actually affect the value of a car.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Early runner for biggest cock/troll of the day….
    Daveky.

gears_suck
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member
    Stereotypetrackworld no less.

And you just stereotyped STW. See how that works?

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

LULZ ! Still time for an edit, you could get in immigrants stealing our jobs and Muslims running the courts….

Dickyboy

Not saying I am on the side of any deliberate damage at all, but for knocks and bumps I’m with MSP on this one, a car is only a means of transport & the sooner we stop treating it as a status symbol & being all precious about it the better, but then again I’m not that precious about any material objects so might be the wrong person to ask

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Is that the same as when a bike gets nicked or damaged then?

Its just a bike, a machine to move you around, you’re being way too precious about it.

gears_suck
    Free Member

No worries. When we are asymilated by the Borg. Our cars will repair themselves.

Dickyboy

Is that the same as when a bike gets nicked or damaged then?

yup – bit of cosmetic damage never did anyone any harm, nicked now that’s a different story

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

I meant damaged by some one else. Such as when you leave it locked up outside.

As an example someone recently slashed my mates saddle with a knife and scraped paint off his frame, it still works as a bike so he shouldn’t be too precious about it?

Dickyboy

IMO yes but there’s a difference between accidental & deliberate damage

mutoiddoh
    Free Member

It may only be a source of transport, but a lot of people want to look after their cars (look after things and they last) and don’t want them to look rubbish. My car is in good mechanical condition and reliable, but is covered in dents from 23 years of careless people in car parks. It would be immaculate otherwise.

Peyote
    Free Member

There’s a bit of an economic disparity between most peoples bikes and cars too. Cars are likely to be the second biggest purchase of most peoples lives (the first being a house/flat or whatever) so when they get damaged it’s bound to hurt a bit more.

Having said that, many car owners seem to park in stupid places with no concept of the size of their vehicles and then expect them to have some kind of forcefield around them preventing damage!

Dickyboy

Its about priorities too, friend of mine bought a nice car & then wasn’t willing to leave it at the station car park – so despite being a means of transport it actually restricted her travel options 😕

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

I’m not convinced so we will have to differ.

If I buy something irrespective of what it is then I like to extract maximum value from it which means ensuring it stays in as good a condition as possible so I get the longest use and highest resale value.

Anyone damaging my property whether accidentally or intentionally might as well be stealing money from my wallet.

And accidental damage due to not exercising proper respect for others property (a dont give a **** attitude) is as bad as doing it intentionally eg. the woman who flung her car door open into my van and then said ‘well it’s only a van’ when I complained – it wasn’t accidental she just didn’t care.

nealglover
    Free Member

Your car has too high a priority in you life, have a read of a couple of the recent threads about kids playing in the streets. Then get a grip and realise its just a machine to move you around.

Is it just when people damage stuff that you aren’t interested in that I need to “get a grip” and ignore criminal damage ?

Would you be bothered if I stood running my house keys down the paintwork on your bike ?
    Or scratching my name into your front door ?

piemonster

Peyote, the fact that your not talking about spending as much (preferably more tbh) on bikes as cars. Well, frankly I’m shocked and disgusted.

How on earth are you supposed to fulfil the “you could buy a car for that” line?

IanW
    Free Member

I’ve had several cars keyed, excluding the occasions when it was people annoyed with me for personal matters it was because I had parked inconsiderately.

I take more care now so it hasn’t happened for a few years.

Peyote
    Free Member

Sorry piemonster 😳

In my defence I would like to say I was empathising with car owners, I don’t own one myself so can safely say in my personal circumstances that bikes (n+1) are a far higher priority than cars, and yes I probably could buy a car with the money I spent on my bikes (although it would be a bit of rubbish one!), wouldn’t be able to run the thing though… 🙂

MSP

Would you be bothered if I stood running my house keys down the paintwork on your bike ?
    Or scratching my name into your front door ?

I would be a bit pissed of, nothing more. The “preciousness” society has about some objects has, especially cars, is causing clear problems, again I would direct you to the threads about kids playing in the streets.

If even my good bike had other bikes lent on it outside a cafe, causing a scratch, I wouldn’t give a shit. When I look at a bike and think “I like that” I am not looking at it as an object of art, I am looking at it and imagining riding it on my favourite road or trail.

wingnuts

Not wishing to detract from the wonderful car/victim based stuff above I’ll just add a note about why they do it. Nothing to do with envy or who drives the car itself. Its about these people not having any power or aspiration in their lives. They’d throw a stone at a window to get a sense of achievement or reaction, but keying is easier and less effort. Its a totally unconscious action in the main. Know thats hard to except but thats the way it is. Now rant on…

Cougar

“It’s just a car, get over it.”

It’s not just a car. It’s my car. And “car” is not the keyword in that sentence.

I really don’t understand the attitude where it’s ok to have your property damaged. Do you have walpaper / pain in your house, or bare brick? Do you put pictures up? Why, they serve no practical purpose, they just look nice. Would you mind graffiti all over your neighbourhood? Litter?

Jamie
    Free Member

Do you have walpaper / pain in your house, or bare brick?

Typing on a phone, Cougar?

MSP

I get just as many chips on the bonnet of a car from hitting stones when driving than I get knocks and bumps from opening doors and clumsy people in car parks. That doesn’t piss me off either.

It’s just normal wear and tear. Do you get pissed of because you need to repaint your woodwork from time to time or because a tile falls from your roof?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Calling it normal wear and tear doesnt really help matters , because its not its just utter lazyness

Just cause i dont care about my car doesnt mean i think its acceptable but ive developed a tollerance to it.

Cougar

Typing on a phone, Cougar?

Paging Dr Freud.

stumpy01

dangerousbeans – Member

If I buy something irrespective of what it is then I like to extract maximum value from it which means ensuring it stays in as good a condition as possible so I get the longest use and highest resale value.

Anyone damaging my property whether accidentally or intentionally might as well be stealing money from my wallet.

And accidental damage due to not exercising proper respect for others property (a dont give a **** attitude) is as bad as doing it intentionally eg. the woman who flung her car door open into my van and then said ‘well it’s only a van’ when I complained – it wasn’t accidental she just didn’t care.

+1.

It’s my car/bike/whatever. If I choose to treat it like crap then that is up to me. But it is annoying when other people can’t be bothered to take a bit of care or are just being malicious and damage what belongs to you.
    My car is 10 years old, but I look after it, don’t open the doors onto walls/prickly hedges/trees, try not to scratch it etc. But I don’t wash it as often as I should. I have noticed lately that there are more and more ‘car park’ scratches and door marks appearing on it. I think people just park next to it, see that it’s not a ‘new’ car and so take no care at not dinging it. (Although, saying that my OH’s 12 reg Ibiza already has a couple of car park dings from people opening doors onto it).

I even try to park as close to a post/pillar in a car park to give the car next door as much space as possible, but what this normally means is they just park badly and leave the same tiny gap to squeeze in and out of.

My OH bought a Ka from new several years ago and it was her pride and joy.
    About a year after she got it, a woman who worked in a different place on the industrial estate got the same car in the same colour and a couple of weeks later, my OH’s car got keyed from the front wing, all the way along to the boot of the car.
    We think it was someone who worked at the other woman’s place that did it maliciously thinking that it was her car, not my OH’s.
    My OH had to get the damage repaired through her insurance, which then meant a hike in premiums for several years.

stumpy01

MSP – Member
    I get just as many chips on the bonnet of a car from hitting stones when driving than I get knocks and bumps from opening doors and clumsy people in car parks. That doesn’t piss me off either.

It’s just normal wear and tear. Do you get pissed of because you need to repaint your woodwork from time to time or because a tile falls from your roof?

Significant stone chips are normally caused by driving too close to the car in front. Try leaving a bit more room….

Also this kind of damage is part of using the car – same as the suspension components rusting etc. It’s an unavoidable part of owning a car and has very little to do with other people’s laziness or lack of care.
    Going back to the bike analogy, I have several chips in the frame of my bike caused by rock strikes and they don’t bother me. But I’d be bloody annoyed if someone propped their bike against mine (at the cake shop, obviously) and it fell on my bike denting the frame, as that is just a result of carelessness.

IanMunro
    Free Member

“It’s just a car, get over it.”

It’s not just a car. It’s my car. And “car” is not the keyword in that sentence.

I really don’t understand the attitude where it’s ok to have your property damaged. Do you have walpaper / pain in your house, or bare brick? Do you put pictures up? Why, they serve no practical purpose, they just look nice. Would you mind graffiti all over your neighbourhood? Litter?

I thought the person was talking about the Buddist style of thought on these matters. Whilst keying a car is a particularly nasty little bit of vandalism. Accepting that a car may not remain pristine will probably lead to a more relaxed life than vexing about it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘People that scratch/key/ding cars’ is closed to new replies.