• This topic has 35 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by yunki.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • People talking business loudly on the train
  • jools182
    Free Member

Resources, targets, bugbear, facilitate

Only another 2 hours..

footflaps

Just pick up your phone and start shouting Buy, Buy, Sell, Sell really loudly…

theotherjonv

move to the quiet carriage if it’s really that much of an issue?

I use the train frequently BECAUSE it enables me to do some work while travelling. And while i try to keep the noise down and certainly avoid divulging sensitive info, I can’t pretend no-one can hear me.

5thElefant
    Free Member

A rival company did that at the same table as me once. We got the sale…

johndoh
    Free Member

Commuter trains with people talking about work. Fascinating.

footflaps

A rival company did that at the same table as me once. We got the sale…

Do tell, was it CFH discussing the latest USP on paper clips?

Rubber_Buccaneer

HELLO

5thElefant
    Free Member

Do tell, was it CFH discussing the latest USP on paper clips?

Nothing that exciting. Two big US software companies selling databases.

bikebouy
    Free Member

They have to talk somewhere, maybe it’s the only place they can guarantee at least someone is listening to them, most on the conference call will be asleep.. 😆

Northwind

“Tell Charles I’m on my way. Taxi!”

slowoldgit
    Free Member

A mate was sat on a plane once, two guys immediately in front were discussing an upcoming business meeting, particularly the participants. One of whom was my mate.

The meeting didn’t go well for their company.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Start taking notes. Ask them to repeat key phrases.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Had this many years ago. Woman sitting opposite me was very loudly discussing very dull things.

Turned on laptop. Created email account, something like everyoneelseonthetrain@ and started emailing her at the address she’d been loudly repeating.

“No one’s interested.”
    “Did you get dressed in the dark?”
    Etc.

Great fun.

slowoldman

Resources, targets, bugbear, facilitate

What no leveraging?

jools182
    Free Member

We need to divorce it from the improvements team

PJM1974
    Free Member

Captainflashheart is my new hero!

🙂

bails

I got on the train, in the quiet coach, after a long day a while ago just wanting to sit down in peace and quiet while my brain recovered.

“HELLO, HELLO, YAH IT’S DOMINIC FROM SYNERGYTECHWISECONSULTIOPROSOLUTIONS, JUST THOUGHT I’D FOLLOW UP ON OPTIMISING SOME OF THOSE KEY DELIVERABLES…HAHAHAHAHA….YAH YAH….”

I told him to shut up. He ‘hadn’t realised’ he was on the quiet coach. Despite all the signs saying ‘quiet coach’. 🙄

jam-bo

I once observed someone making a very very important deal on his phone when it rang…

perchypanther
    Free Member

People talking business loudly on the train

Could be worse…..

People talking doing the business loudly on the train

copa
    Free Member

Heard a businessman on a train to London say:

“The trouble with Simon is that when you put him in a box he can’t get out of, he just crumbles”.

Poor Simon.

philjunior
    Free Member

I sometimes have to talk business on the train, but I’m always aware competitors could be listening!

The last person who had loud and extensive business conversations on the same carriage as me got *really* annoyed when I got on and asked him to move from my (reserved) seat. Might be the same guy, have you tried asking him if he could swap seats as that’s the one you reserved?

Jakester
    Free Member

I’m just amazed these people get a stable mobile signal with which to conduct a telephone conversation on a train!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

What no leveraging?

It’s not a REAL business conversation unless there’s at least one unicorn being ring-fenced

BoardinBob

Best solution to this problem ever

(Stanhope’s girlfriend’s name is Bingo…)

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfhXrToQcq4[/video]

DaRC_L

Never got this – confidentiality’n’all.
    Had people try but just tell them
    “I can’t as I’m in public and you probably don’t want the world to know” (that our client’s systems are charging a penny for what they sell)

rusty90
    Free Member

No problem, you leave your laptop and paperwork spread out all over the table we’re sharing and glare at me hostilely as if you were in your own private office. I’ll just balance my cup of coffee and bacon roll on top of it. Oops! Sorry about that.

imnotverygood

What always amazes me is quite how loudly business people feel they have to talk. You can be sitting in a cafe with a dozen different people having quiet conversations and then the ‘meeting’ arrives: You.Are.Only.Sitting.Three.Feet.Away.From.The.Other.Person. For God’s Sake! Must be an ego thing.

project
    Free Member

Merseyrail trains run in deep tunnels under liverpool and until a few weeks go mobiles and laptops didnt work,no signal, really annoying prat talking into his phone, when our train broke down underground for 10 minutes, telling the office what to do in his abscence etc, and asking to speak to various people in office.

Large scoucer in a suit, obviously on way to court, shouts after 10 minutes, MOBILES DONT WORK DOWN HERE, THERES NO BLOODY SIGNAL, ITS UNDERGROUND, NOW PUT THE PHONE DOWN.

Much laughing and hilarity from us refined types.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

You can laugh …. but I’ve have to do that at times.

Obviously I try and keep as quiet as I can…. but when all eyes are fixed on you with hatred…. feels like I’m shouting.

Sorry

cranberry
    Free Member

OP – at least the muppet is indeed “going forwards”*.

* assuming that he isn’t in a rear-facing seat.

MoreCashThanDash

Surprising numbers of civil service types travel into Birmingham and London having very inappropriate conversations.

I like to play “Guess the Department” from the details they dish out.

NZCol

Had someone sitting in front of me on a plane once working on a bid I was bidding for. I may well have seen their price which helped me enormously.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

[/quote]Commuter trains with people talking about work. Fascinating.[quote]

I hate talking on the commuter trains, it is noticeable at weekends how much noisier the trains are. I will most often reject a call on my phone when on the train unless urgent.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Flasheart rules. Slam dunk.

mefty
    Free Member

Surprising numbers of civil service types travel into Birmingham and London having very inappropriate conversations.

So many DWP staff travel up and down to Leeds on the train they schedule meetings on it.

yunki
    Free Member

It’s just intellectual indecent exposure..
    Having an ego **** in a public place..

You should pity the insecure little nobodies really.. Poor sods

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘People talking business loudly on the train’ is closed to new replies.