Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)
  • People taking photos of my house
  • jamesy01
    Free Member

Perhaps looking for a house in your area and once they’ve suitable lowered house prices by slashing tyres and steeling expensive bikes you’ll get an envelope through the door offering to buy your house!

hatter

Yeah a car hanging around taking pictures with no apparent good reason to be there would make my Spidey senses tingle, mention it to the police on the non-urgent number, if the car had been seen loitering around elsewhere it could help them join the dots.

Of course there could be an entirely innocent explanation, in which case you reporting it won’t do any good but no harm either.

Much as my experience with suburban neighbour hood watch types suggests that they are the type of people who are inclined to follow ethnic minorities around waiting for them to do something, in your shoes I’d still report it.

cranberry
    Free Member

I don’t care about their race or gender, only it implies they’re not from here, that’s all.

I think a metropolitan member of this forum could easily get the wrong idea about this, but as someone who comes from a village of a couple of hundred people in deepest, darkest North Yorkshire…

There are no black people in the village, there is an Asian chap who lives over the road from us. Our cat keeps his garden shed mouse-free. In a village with only one person who is non-white and there are few enough people that everyone knows everyone else then “they’re not from here” doesn’t have to be in any way a racist comment.

If someone were to make the same comment about a non-white person where I am now – The Hague, which is a big place with people from *everywhere* – I’d call them a thick ****.

mikey74
    Free Member

I don’t care about their race or gender, only it implies they’re not from here, that’s all. So they must have travelled here, why? So why would they be in this dead end road taking photos of my boring looking house?

If it’s any consolation, I understood what you were getting at.

scotroutes

If it’s any consolation, I the whole forum understood what you were getting at
    [/quote]
    and were just taking the piss 😆

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

In a village with only one person who is non-white and there are few enough people that everyone knows everyone else then “they’re not from here” doesn’t have to be in any way a racist comment.

Which I guess is probably why no one has suggested that it is in any way a racist comment.

martinhutch

Somebody has obviously included your house on a Hollywood-style ‘Star’s Houses’ map.

Do you look like Matthew Kelly, Johnny Vegas or Joe Cocker?

ski
    Free Member

Taking pictures, was she using her phone?

Could she be doing something as innocent as taking a selfi of herself and your friendly neighbourhood watch got a little excited?

Wookster

Only option……..

owenh

Do you have a eating oil tank that could be targeted?
    As others have said report to the police on non urgent number. I did jury service a year ago on a case involving theft of oil, the case was mostly based on the weight of circumstantial evidence such as public reports, phone records & ANPR cameras.

br
    Free Member

I don’t care about their race or gender, only it implies they’re not from here, that’s all.

Now, if you lived where we do (98.71% white)) I could believe that – but since your Neighbourhood watch is also a Pakistani I somehow don’t think they’re not from around here.

scotroutes

Not unless he’s running a chippy from his shed…

thecaptain
    Free Member

eating oil tank

maybe they were looking for a location for a massive bhaji frying session

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Old sins knocking at your door perhaps? 😀

Banter aside, you probably have a house with distinguished design,victorian,georgian and they would like to copy..its normal unless they return then that would be dodgy. You have good neighbour by the way

ScottChegg
    Free Member

only it implies they’re not from here

You’re going to be ethnically cleansed.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

* Racial stereotyping used for comic effect but, to be fair, the OP started it.

I must have missed that.

Drac

only it implies they’re not from here

Flaperon

I’ve just spoken to the neighbourhood watch guy again, he’s checked out the car and the reg matches the make + model, and is registered about 20 miles away from here.

How is he able to get this information?

Trimix
    Free Member

If you can get their address, Id pop round an ask what they were doing. Or just sit outside taking photos.

mrsfry
    Free Member

Easy to get reg details off the internet. cost around £10

zippykona

Did their car look like this?

number18
    Free Member

He’s a genuine neighbourhood watch guy. However,

I’ve just spoken to the neighbourhood watch (NHW) guy again, he’s checked out the car and the reg matches the make + model, and is registered about 20 miles away from here.

How is he able to get this information?

I don’t know, the police have called me to follow up my query and they’ve said there’s nothing untoward with the car, but it’s not registered to where the NHW guy said it was!

FYI for those making similar comments, I reckon it’s 99.5% white in ours and the surrounding villages.

jonba
    Free Member

I’ve read about this in the daily mail. They’ll be immigrants and they will take your house – it is happening all over the uk. Beef up your security and consider doing the same at work as they’ll probably try and steal your job as well.

Any chance they used to live there. I was in the neighbourhood where I grew up at Xmas and drove down the street to have a look as I hadn’t been there in 10+ years.

jamj1974

Crusty Jugglers?

And that my fellow STW’ers is genius! I am sad though. Sad that there is little chance I will have to ever use this phrase…

Cougar

Easy to get reg details off the internet. cost around £10

https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

That’ll be £10 please.

deadkenny
    Free Member

bearnecessities – Member
    Ahh, Estate Asians.

PMSL 😆

njee20
    Free Member

but since your Neighbourhood watch is also a Pakistani I somehow don’t think they’re not from around here.

Where did he say that?

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Were you drying naan breads on your washing line ?

ninfan
    Free Member

Is your name Kevin O’Grady?

She could be searching for her long lost son.

molgrips
    Free Member

By ‘Asian women’ does he perhaps mean people wearing hijabs? Cos they might not actually be Asian women, if that’s the case. A bit easier to pass off than balaclavas or tights on your head, no?

RustySpanner

Maybe they just like your curtains.

Google your post code/Street/area – see if any new photos have been posted anywhere?

Does seem a bit odd.
    Is it a particularly pretty house?

outofbreath
    Free Member

Yesterday my mum told me the address of a house she lived in for two years as a child. It has a front garden wall which was built by my Grandad in 1960.

I’m going to nip over and get a photo of my Grandad’s handiwork this summer.

If that visit generates a call to the police and a pun as good as ‘Estate Asians’ I’ll be well chuffed.

sirromj

Tourists – you live in a black & white striped thatch cottage right?

number18
    Free Member

House is ten years old, featureless and only one previous owner. It hasn’t changed much since we bought it from them five years ago other than the garden.

We don’t have any passing traffic at all.

chakaping
    Free Member

Did he see a camera?

Or just someone holding a phone up to look at the map after getting lost down your dead end?

Just thinking sometimes people see what they expect to see.

jamj1974

If your neighbour described it correctly – yes, I would be a bit concerned too as it does seem a bit strange…

redstripe
    Free Member

We used to get loads of people stopping outside our house (which is pretty remote) taking pictures of the garden not house it looked like, only seemed at certain times of year. I went and asked someone what they were doing, turned out our place featured in some Rotary Club (or similar) car treasure hunt. Some convoluted clue involved the name of our road and an ornament in our garden. No-one asked us, but maybe it started before we lived there. I moved the ornament out of view being a spoil sport.

globalti
    Free Member

That’s a good explanation. If there were three or four Asian women in the car, it’s just possible they were on a treasure hunt and had mistakenly identified your house as one of the clues, which has to be photographed as proof they found it. Or maybe your house is one of the clues.

Whatever the reason I would definitely have a chat with the neighbourhood watch officer at the local cop shop. Not just Asians but all criminal communities will send women on a mission to scope out places so as to avoid arousing suspicion.

chakaping
    Free Member

😯

burko73

“I moved the ornament gnome out of view being a spoil sport.”

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘People taking photos of my house’ is closed to new replies.