Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • People on video metings with pristine book shelves
  • Premier Icon mattyfez
    Free Member

How and why?

I have a few books, and they are on shelves, but they are very hard to keep clean, how is it done?

Specifically keeping dust off, unless I go full Dexter with a clean room, duct tape, poly sheets and the like.

I’m not going to break them all out an wipe them down, so how do they do it? do they just buy new books for the camera?

Premier Icon richmars

They cheat:
    https://booksbymetre.com/

Premier Icon eddiebaby

I just feel so sorry for them having to feel they have lie about their usual lifestyle.
    Like the low grade celeb cocks on Come Dine With Me who borrow flash gaffs for their episode.

Premier Icon johnners
    Free Member

I’ve got a fair number of books and they don’t need much upkeep to look clean, though tbf some of them are behind glass. Those that aren’t just require a very occasional waft with a feather duster, they don’t seem to really get properly grubby.

Premier Icon trail_rat
    Free Member

My video call meeting usually start with the ….. What room are you in……

Due to a screaming baby I am working in the campervan. Raises a few eyebrows that

Premier Icon sobriety
    Free Member

My laptop is on the shelf under my desk, it’s only been requested that I open it to activate the camera once.

Premier Icon ransos
    Free Member

I just feel so sorry for them having to feel they have lie about their usual lifestyle.

Don’t forget the strategically placed guitar.

My team gets to see the festering shithole that is my spare room.

Premier Icon kimbers

Im sure I read that trump has a wall of fake books in his tower for photo ops

the Zoom culture of lockdown has made your background suddenly very important

Premier Icon epicyclo

My lawyer wife is WFH from my office.

Her clients are impressed by her extensive interest in bicycles.

At least I hope they are, more likely wondering why there’s not a law book in sight. 🙂

Premier Icon Caher

I’m still hoping to see Economics for Dummies on some politician’s shelf, maybe tucked next to a pop up book.

Premier Icon alpin

I just go to work…

Premier Icon kayak23

Dude on BBC breakfast earlier. Pretty strong shelf game going on.

Premier Icon tomd

Better than the call I had last week when a colleague had a clothes stand with their family’s underwear drying on it behind them.

Premier Icon richardk
    Free Member

Not one of those books is titled “how to position your video camera correctly” either.

Premier Icon househusband

Discovered a few days ago that with MS Teams you can have it change your background for you; has numerous of its own – or you can upload your own.

Premier Icon peekay

I’ve found some internal stock photos of our office on the intranet. Occasionally set one of these as my Teams background.

One a big 150 person call about business change and redundancies one of the people I work with set his as the external view of a JobCentre+. Surprisingly it went down very well with the directors.

Premier Icon willard

Yeah, Teams can do that, it can also blur the background which is great if you are having a party in the same room.

I know that people at my old work bought chromakey blankets for behind them when they were doing meetings with video. That’s goign a little too far. Me, I have small enough bandwidth that the video chops if I enable the camera. or at least that is my excuse for leaving video off.

Premier Icon scaredypants

Several people have commented on what looks like an impending avalanche of badly-stacked books, cds, lights, chargers,…

People do look though don’t they ? One of my colleagues is obsessed with another colleague’s house and I’ve been asked about specific things on the shelves

I tried a blurry background but people said it was too trippy; head kept apearing & disappearing from the shot and was disembodies most of the time. Fairly shit laptop, maye that’s why

Premier Icon Yak

Mostly I am on the dining table so just a plain wall and a world map. If my wife is having a meeting too, then it’s an emergency decamp to the kitchen. Then it’s a lottery. Could be a pile of mucky dishes, kids paint brushes, bike lubes, dead herbs… It’s never going to look good.

I didn’t know about the Teams background options. Might have to try that.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

You can upload background of classic TV sets from BBC

A Tory minister had a prominent biography of Hitler on display one day. Wasn’t there the next time I saw him in telly

Premier Icon globalti
    Free Member

Tsk, people on this forum are such amateurs. You hold the book up vertically, open end facing your victim then you blow all the dust off into their face.

Premier Icon dudeofdoom

People do look though don’t they ? One of my colleagues is obsessed with another colleague’s house and I’ve been asked about specific things on the shelves

It’s actually not a bad thing,bit of a distraction seems to ‘settle’ some people.

I put a bit of effort into getting our team more accustomed to video calls From day one and tbh it’s paid dividends.

I tend to use the teams background thing to add a bit of consistency as I tend to work in different rooms and I don’t want people reading the titles of my erotic book collection 🙂

Premier Icon gecko76

Premier Icon CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

@BCredibility

Premier Icon FuzzyWuzzy

Yeah more people need to use backgrounds on Teams. I’ve yet to see someone with a facerig set-up either, I’m tempted…

Premier Icon Drac

Premier Icon DezB

Jeez. Surely thats the arse who prompted this thread. Want to smash a guitar over his head, cut his hair with blunt scissors and set fire to his books.*

How about show us you bookshelves!
    On 2nd thoughts, how about not. Don’t need STW winkle displays too do we!

*sorry, had a bad night
    **not sorry enough to not hate him

Premier Icon footflaps

Our CEO has challenged us to find the most interesting background pics for Microsoft Teams Video calls in all our meetings. I was presenting to our investors, from a street in Herculaneum yesterday….

Premier Icon Houns

I don’t think it’s wise to threaten to cut off a black persons dreadlocks, joking or not

Premier Icon crazy-legs

The first few remote meetings we had were always filled with general chat about where everyone was and their respective backgrounds.

Our CEO took an early lead in that competition with his conservatory looking out over the Scottish hills. Bastard.

Premier Icon shinton
    Free Member

I liked Pauls Merton’s question on HIGNFY. ” How many of those books have you read (pause) or colourded in?”

Premier Icon DezB

I don’t think it’s wise to threaten to cut off a black persons dreadlocks, joking or not

LoLZ. Fair enough, I didn’t even notice his ethnicity tbh. I’ll just wash his hair then

Premier Icon AlexSimon

I can imagine the worry to be honest. I don’t do video calls, but if I had to I would probably relocate to a different part of the house.
    Book shelves are full of my wife’s counselling/mental health books so that wouldn’t look good!

My wife does zoom on the kitchen table in front of these:

But it doesn’t provide much interest for the nosy book spine readers 🙂

Premier Icon perchypanther
    Free Member

No bookshelves in my home office.

Bearshelves.

I’m sat in front of a cabinet without about 60 teddy bears in it.

It’s apparently quite disconcerting for video callers to gaze into 61 sets of staring lifeless eyes.

Premier Icon CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

61 sets of staring lifeless eyes.

Pretty much standard for any large video conference call.

Premier Icon chomp
    Free Member

there as pic of John Barnes (ex liverpool winger) doing a chat on BBC with a few spicy DVD’s on the shelf behind him

(not sure if that was real or fake – but made me chuckle)

Premier Icon binners

A guy got in touch with me about a week into lockdown and ordered one of my framed prints saying he wanted some nice artwork to put on the wall behind him for when he’s on Zoom calls.

I have obviously been doing social media posts ever since saying ‘need some nice artwork to put on the wall behind you on zoom calls?’. I’ve had quite a few takers 😀

@AlexSimon – that is a truly lovely thing

Premier Icon funkmasterp

I appear to be the only person at my place who lives in a normal house. As I have two young kids there are drawings of theirs on the walls, toys everywhere etc. Other folk have what appear to be show homes. Just spaces that don’t look lived in at all.

business change and redundancies one of the people I work with set his as the external view of a JobCentre+.

I like this idea.

Premier Icon kcal

I have a regular Zoom catch-up with guys from local town – that is, we’re all from Elgin but I’m the only one actually here – Glasgow, Edinburgh and London/Baku. I experimented with a download background from the local hotel bar (off their website) completely fooled them for a couple of minutes, had I photoshopped the barman or a regular that would have nailed it I reckon.

Premier Icon Richie_B

That guy buys his books by the yard (there are great lengths of spines which match up), so I’d question how many he has opened. If I’d ever had so much space to myself I can’t imagine having the inclination to keep it clutter free (who even with kids hangs all their guitars neatly on the wall and hides the amp unless they don’t really play them that often), so he either has an army of cleaners or leads a rather sad lonely existence (I suspect the former but because I’m jealous I’d like to believe the latter).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.