Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • ‘People just do Nothing’
  • stanfree
    Free Member

I know It’s been out for ages , but only started watching due to catching a dockumentary on the Mockumentary. Easily one of the best comedies on British TV since It’s inspiration ‘The Office’. Chabuddy G has to be the star of the show with Steve. The film ‘Big In Japan’ seems to have wildly varying reviews from the guardians 2 stars to the Irish times 4 stars.

sharkattack

Same here. Totally missed it first time around like I’ve done with pretty much everything. Just watched it from beginning to end on Netflix and it’s excellent. My Mrs hates it.

kayak23

Loved the series. Can’t imagine the film is anything other than utter garbage, based on experience of other comedy series turned into films.
    Be very happy to be proved wrong though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    joshvegas
    Free Member

Mockumentaries are far older than the office!

Have you never seen spinal tap?!

stanfree
    Free Member

Yup , seen a few in my 50 years. I only used the reference as It is so obviously influenced by ‘The Office’ . Also Martin Freeman was a fan in the documentary. ‘The Rutles’ and ‘CB4’ spring to mind.
    Still it one of the best

RobHilton
    Free Member

Have you never seen spinal tap?!

That’s a rockumentary 🙂

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Spinal Tap is not real! Wanders off to pull my “11” stickers off my Marshall amp.

grum
    Free Member

The making of doc on iPlayer is nice.

This always puts a smile on my face also

scuttler

Excellent telly. Steves is a great character. Check out Grindah going against General Levy – proper talented

seadog101

Fantastic show.
    This Country if you want a very different, but similar fodder.(?)

scratch
    Free Member

Speed Garage, UK Garage, Garage Garage 🙂

Watched this a while after it came out a couple of years ago, love the obsession with the Garage era as it brings back some fun uni memories. It’s really well done by Ash Atalla, there’s one really sad scene I found just really grim in a normal way, not something you’d usually see in a comedy show.

I’ll leave the film!

razorrazoo

The episode where Steves is left to man the station on his own is an absolute classic.

Northwind

Didn’t realise it was a series, I’d just seen the film trailers! Have to check it out now

kimbers

Check out the podcast too, well worth a listen

Our first house was in Brentford , saw them filming once and they were in character all the time, there’s so much they got right about the place and local yoofs

Its a strange place, on the Thames a few bits developed but still working boat yards there, hemmed in by M4 A4, the river & Heathrow flightpath above, much posher Isleworth, Kew, Ealing, Chiswick all around, its slowly being gentrified (when we first moved there was a knife amnesty bin outside McDs and the estate agent tried to shoo us away from a drug purchase opposite a house wee were viewing) Still has a whelk & jellied eel stall, terraces and the tower blocks from the series really do dominate and loom over.

Duggan

Yeah I really enjoyed the TV show, will watch the film but like others have said, it’s doubtful it will translate to the big screen very well so will temper my expectations.

alpin
    Free Member

The lost mixtape CD is brilliant….

Old skool garage with a snippets of comedy throughout.

jimmy

Started watching last night. I need to get over the blatant and over-prevalent copy of The Office style, like ending every sentence with “…. so” with an awkward glance at the camera. Had its moments, though, need to get into it once we’ve finished the excellent Ghosts.

bridges
    Free Member

Brilliant, brilliant comedy. Such a refreshing change from the usual middle class dross served up. Also, This Country. Genius. Such amazingly talented young people.

The rest are irrelevant.

andrewreay

Saw the film last night and was pleasantly surprised. It feels like a very long episode, which is no bad thing.

nick1962
    Free Member

When irony collides with reality..I’m lubbin it,lubbin it lubbin it

el_boufador

@nick1962 that is actually 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥 loved it!

alpin
    Free Member

Ones and twos!

chakaping
    Free Member

Halfway through S4 and still lovin’ it, lovin’ it, lovin’ it.

Dunno if I’ll get finished in time for the movie.

Does it spoil the TV show at all?

v7fmp

bang! lyrical blow to the jaw!

Utterly brilliant, funny and entertaining!

binners

We decided to watch them all again, and started on series 1 last night. Absolute genius! Will definitely give the film a go

Welcome to Hounslow…

andrewreay

Does it spoil the TV show at all?

Was going to say ‘no’, but there is a little bit of ‘suspense’ running through the last series that the film reveals at the outset.

Don’t think it will ruin your enjoyment too much as it’s not so much the plot or storyline that’s the joy of PJDN.

But if you can get the series’ wrapped up in time, no bad thing.

scratch
    Free Member

Brilliant, brilliant comedy. Such a refreshing change from the usual middle class dross served up. Also, This Country. Genius. Such amazingly talented young people.

The rest are irrelevant.

I went from this to This Country, that has some great moments too, ‘He was peeping in the 60’s, the 70’s…

razorrazoo

I went from this to This Country, that has some great moments too, ‘He was peeping in the 60’s, the 70’s…

‘There’s no holes in my crumpets!’

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Watched the first episode last night and was completely underwhelmed.

spursn17
    Free Member

Watched the first episode last night and was completely underwhelmed.

I was the same, stick with it, it’s worth it.

grum
    Free Member

Yup. Though I think it does help to have some level of interest in/fondness for that pirate radio UK garage scene. The thing that really makes it work for me is that they clearly genuinely love it, and are actually pretty good.

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s great how they underplay so much of it, that’s part of what makes it so good IMO.

And I dunno if I’ve seen any recognition here for how funny Rochelle’s reactions to the other characters are.

The episode where Grindah drops his first pill is my fave so far, one of the best TV drug scenes ever.

stanfree
    Free Member

@stevenmenmuir Stick with It , It gets really good.

The funniest scene I’ve seen so far was when Steve thinks Roche’s baby has reincarnated from his gran. “Is it clearer with the glasses or with out , with or without”.

binners

The thing that really makes it work for me is that they clearly genuinely love it, and are actually pretty good

Absolutely this.

Like a lot of great comedy, like Phoenix Nights or the Detectorists, they’re not sneering at it or mocking it, they’re poking fun at it but with a genuine warmth and affection. It’s brilliantly done.

coconut
    Free Member

“I’m a bit like Del Boy… but around here they call me Dhal Boy” 😎

NYC101009

Great Show managed to see it from the start and even though it’s a send up they both definitely have the skills to make it work

mahalo

yeah its absolutey brilliant. lived in Brentford for a while so its cool to spot some the locations…

my mrs also hates it. she genuinely doesnt get that they are actors and its all scripted!

binners

I have to say that I’ve been pretty impressed with self-effacing humour of the good people of Brentford recently.

When they justifiably beat Arsenal in their first ever Premier League game, the Brentford fans raucously serenaded the players with the chant “bus stop in Hounslow!! We’re just a bus stop in Hounslow”

Absolutely brilliant! 😂

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘‘People just do Nothing’’ is closed to new replies.