Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • People good at exploiting loopholes please
  • Militant_biker

We’re needing to find a way to wriggle out of our lease in the US for an apartment, without paying for the remaining 6 months (we’re moving back to the UK as the wife got a permanent job), and preferably without ‘running away and not paying’

Do you think we can use this clause in the Delaware Landlord-Tenant Code;

Upon 30 days’ written notice…the tenancy may be terminated:
    (1) By the tenant, whenever a change in location of the tenant’s employment with the tenant’s present employer requires a change in the location of the tenant’s residence in excess of 30 miles;

Now, my wife is leaving her employment here (University post-doctoral researcher), and that means that her employment based visa becomes invalid, which requires us to leave the USA, therefore requiring us to move >30 miles away…

Reckon it’s worth a try? 😀

TooTall
    Free Member

It isn’t ‘present employer’ tho – different employer.

xiphon
    Free Member

That clause is for when a factory / office is relocated, and you need to move with it. New employer (i.e. new job) won’t qualify.

Militant_biker

Thought it’d be something like that 😕

Edit: I wonder if she could get them to alter the employment contract to state a different place of work, given that she might end up finishing some work when we’re back in the UK…

ourmaninthenorth

Te ore way of looking at it is to serve the notice on the basis your are bei relocated to the uk. If they accept it, great. If not, you’ll have to pay up.

I’m not advocating fraud, but you meant to carefully word something to leave some ambiguity in the language.

Or just phone em up and do a deal – say 3 months’ rent.

nealglover
    Free Member

Just tell them you are being deported.

donsimon
    Free Member

How much time have you got? Could you not find someone to replace you, surely the clause is to protect against lost income, if the landlord loses no income…..

Militant_biker

Just tell them you are being deported.

Well, we would be deported if she left her job and we didn’t leave the country… can’t find anything the code that deals with deportation though. 😕

just phone em up and do a deal – say 3 months’ rent

Don’t have any leverage to do a deal, I suspect they’d want the full 6.

Militant_biker

How much time have you got? Could you not find someone to replace you

We could, but it’s subject to their approval. And given the number of empty apartments they have this year, there’s no reason for them to accept a change of lease over potentially leasing out a new one, at a premium for a short term contract, no less.

donsimon
    Free Member

Fair enough, just a thought.
    Get TJ to speak to them?

konabunny
    Free Member

The landlord is obliged to seek to rerent the property on normal terms and you have to keep paying rent. They can’t just do nothing and keep all of your money because it’s easier for them. See 5a and 5b of the code. If the market is slow, you may be on the hook for a while.

Pigface
    Free Member

A bit of arson ?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘People good at exploiting loopholes please’ is closed to new replies.