Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • People at work who comment on your lunch!
  • dannyh
    Free Member

At my old place a group of us used to go out and get fish or pie and chips on a Friday and take them into the work canteen.

Everyone would be around like they’d never seen chips before.

“Oooh, they look nice”

“Oooh what you got there?”

Then the MD (who was a bellend) would arrive and do a nauseating faux-matey “Oh go on, give us a chip” and take one.

We started driving to laybys and random dogging car parks to sit in the car (if winter) or out on garden chairs to eat.

I’d rather sit in car and stink it out with chips than go through the crap in the canteen.

convert

I only tend to mention what a work colleague is eating if, driven by a human desire to engage with the people around me at least once a day, they are so completely devoid of any sort of personality or interests that I’m bereft of anything else to say.

wonnyj
    Free Member

“ooh that looks healthy”

Good for you, walrus face.

Junkyard
    Free Member

pitta bread one with olive tapenade one with sun dried tomato tapenade

I wish I was joking

Mister-P
    Free Member

My favourite comment on a meal at work was made about my breakfast. I’d ridden about 30 miles in and sat down with a bowl of cereal. One of my rather less energetic and more rotund colleagues commented “blimey, that’s a large portion”. I’m surprised I could eat at all after biting my tongue.

Cougar

Everyone would be around like they’d never seen chips before.

I used to get this in a previous place of work. Stick-thin young female office workers acting like I’d rocked up with a bag of heroin. “Would you like one?” I’d ask. “Oh, I can’t, I’m on a diet.” FFS, it’s one chip! Have one, you’ll feel better (and stop covering them with drool).

goss
    Free Member

Half the staff at one workplace get precooked meals from the canteen, everyone get the same meal, ex. always fish on wednesday. The other half bring something from home.
    As I bring whatever I have in the fridge I would be annoyed if someone was being nosey everyday on what I had for lunch.
    -the only acceptable comment is on the fish as the canteen either over or under cook it.
    ‘How’s the fish Erik?’ ‘Good thing you had wednesday off, the fish wasn’t worth it’

molgrips
    Free Member

In a similar vein: winching my way up a 1:3 off road climb on my heavy FS bike, a passing walker said “that looks like hard work”.

Not really sure what to say there. It is quite hard work, yes.

stevio

at work there’s a white board above my desk. when my colleagues found out that i have (slight ) reservations about eating food that still looks like it did when it was alive (ie visible egg and not in a cake like God meant it..) they started listing things on the board and getting exasperated on my behalf…

i just said i don’t like it so i don’t eat it; whats worth worrying about???

mind you one of my colleagues has never eaten chips, cheese & gravy (Manx alternative “National Dish”) so there you go. thank heavens we’re all different 🙂

bigdean

I have cuscus and mackrel every day as it takes about a minitue to cook. Got grief for a bit and running joke of “what you got today… no wait i know”.
    Now a least 3 others at work eat it regularly…

Someone at work though has a packed lunch made for him everyday by his wife, doesnt know whats for lunch untill he open his lunchbox (snigger 🙂 ) now that just weired.

dannyh
    Free Member

In a similar vein: winching my way up a 1:3 off road climb on my heavy FS bike, a passing walker said “that looks like hard work”.

Not really sure what to say there. It is quite hard work, yes.

That’s just classic slightly awkward, wanting to be friendly small talk. I quite like it as it means that they’re not glaring at you for enjoying yourself.

Whenever a walker holds a gate open for me on a climb I always do a mild mock admonishment and say “Typical, if you’d closed that I could have had a rest”.

Don’t really know why, but it makes a few people chuckle.

timber

Team I’m in gets a lot of comment about how much we eat (a fair bit, plus extra cake).
    Each time someone from one of the other teams joins us to get more tree felling experience, they bring a lot more for lunch the next day. Most recent one bought a whole large Loaf in addition to their usual lunch on the second day.

CountZero

I took various pasta-based tubs with me for a while, but I got fed up with the comments from the other members of the team.
    Seeing as how the ‘office’ is a Kia Carens, with six of us packed in, they may have had a point.
    I just take large bags of mixed nuts and chomp on those during the day.

felt
    Free Member

So……..people commenting on your lunch is the worst of your problems?

Ok.

findo_gask
    Free Member

no, I work in Angola

– brilliant comeback! Shut that line of enquiry down quick.
    Great thread 😀

For my part, I used to work with a Portugueser who microwaved leftover bacalao about once a week- that gear is pungent!

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

My luchbox is often commented upon, I’m not offended.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

@trail rat

Working off Angola yonks ago, an unstable place then (is it better now) we picked up a bird-dog off a platform. No-one went on land then. He commented on the quality of the food on board, being Norwegian it was rather good. Someone asked what he’d been getting, he said for the previous month fish and rice. We commiserated. He said it wasn’t so bad, the previous month had been fish heads and rice.

Cougar

Team I’m in gets a lot of comment about how much we eat

Everywhere I’ve ever worked, the IT department has been the leftover food disposal team.

We’ve nothing on the auditors we’ve got in at the moment though. They’re on a hot-desk at the end of the office, and there’s more food piled up on there than there is laptops and paperwork. They’re the same every year, never known anything like it.

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘People at work who comment on your lunch!’ is closed to new replies.