Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Penwood, Wash Water , Newbury
  • skippy99
    Free Member

Hi,

We are contemplating moving to Wash Water, Newbury , I know the off road routes out towards Beacon Hill and Kingsclere the other way, is there any single track nearby (with the exception of the route around Greenham Common?) and has anyone ridden Pen Wood?

Thank you

cokie

Yes, I’m local.
    There is absolutely tons there.
    You’ve got ;
    – Penwood
    – Newtown Common
    – Burghclere Common
    – Snelsmoor Common
    – Hermitage Woods
    – Curridge Woods
    – Ash hamsptead Common
    – The Ridgeway

In fact there is hundreds of miles of trails and singletrack that join up with minimal road to connect them from your doorstep. Spoiled for choice!

Local riding club ‘Buckled Wheel’ is a good bunch, and also the Banjo Cycles group rides are good fun. It’s best to join them for a few rides to discover the hidden bits. I still can’t find some of it by myself.

It’s not epic singletrack as elevation is limited, but much of it is on par or better than Swinley.

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

Cokie’s got it, some great local riding if you enjoy local woodland stuff

weeksy

Same as them 🙂

I’ll even show you round many of them 🙂

Not sure why Cokie never shows me stuff i don’t know though 😉

skippy99
    Free Member

Cokie,

Thanks for the list and the info, I am used to riding Aston Hill XC, so yes it all sounds good, with a little less elevation.
    Cheers

Dave

frogstomp

I’ll even show you round many of them

Sounds like an excuse for an STW ride? Would be interested to find out what I’m missing out on having lived in the area 15 years!

weeksy

sure matey 🙂

Sat morning ?

anagallis_arvensis

Do Banjo do mtb rides??? They never told me…I feel hurt!!
    TBH I think cross/gravel/gnarmac type bikes are best for the area, there’s no tech trails that I’ve found. Good old school xc fun though…the road riding is outstanding too.

Keva
    Free Member

I’m local and generally ride
    Greenham common
    Newtown Common
    Snelsmore Common
    Combe & the Wayfarers

I do a bit around Buckleberry once in a while but tbh don’t know that much of it. There’s also a Ridgeway ride I do from Lambourn up to Uffington and loops round.

There’s loads over Combe gibbet too which makes for some good long loops, 30-40milers pretty much all xc.

Wouldn’t mind tagging along to find more.

weeksy

I can help lots from Bucklebery over to Hampstead Norrys, Yattendon, Frilsham, Marlston, down Beedon way and then on the opposite side over by Goring, Checkendon, Wallingford etc if people want.

Greenham i only know the woods off the common so would like to know more over that way.

Distance wise i can put plenty of miles together, with cake/pub stops and plenty of woodsy trails too 🙂

skippy99
    Free Member

Guys,

Thanks all for the input, currently we are in Compton so do most of my training all through Yattendon, Bradfield, Hampstead Norreys etc, give me a couple of weeks to get a couple of events out of the way then will be good to meet up for some fun.

Cheers

Dave

weeksy

Small world 🙂 lol.

cokie

Indeed, small world!
    Enough of us locally to arrange a group ride.
    I’d be up for that.

frogstomp

Sat morning ?

Yup, I could do that.. or whenever for a group ride.

weeksy

10:30 over my way then ? Got a mate (doesn’t post much) coming out too, he’ll be up for some woody fun and we can compare a few ideas. Throw a PM if you wanna. I know Cokie knows my house, but don’t think Frog does..

brassneck

Something localish – Gorrick Hot this weekend from my village (Vernham Dean, a little south of Combe) if you want a taste of Collingbourne Woods – few bits they don’t go to that may or not have been logged out of existence, need to go check myself last time I went it was a quagmire but it always is over winter – spring is its best time.

weeksy

Oh, i don’t know why but i thought it was the weekend after. I’ll have to check plans on that one now but i had certainly planned on entering.

boobs

I’d quite like to find out more in the North Thatcham/ Newbury area, Can I join you?

Keva
    Free Member

yup me too I’d like to find more up Buckleberry, Hampstead Norreys, Yattendon way 🙂

weeksy

Everyone welcome. Mrs Weeksy out on beer Fri night, so if everyone fancies it, meet at car park of Compton Swan at 11:30am this Sat. How does that work for people?

Parking there will be fine and we can stop after ride for a beer if people want. Pace will be, whatever pace everyone wants, no egos here, just trails and fun.

anagallis_arvensis

I would be up for it but leading a Gravel/Gnarmac/Cross ride from Banjo at 8am

frogstomp

OK, I’m in.

Keva
    Free Member

It’s looking like won’t be able to make this Saturday as I’m going to be shorter on time than expected due to a few things to organise. If I can get sorted and be over in Compton for 11:30 I’ll see you guys there. Any idea what time we could expect to be back, anytime between 3-5pm at a guess?

boobs

Think I’m now in Peaslake on Saturday, hopefully will be able to catch up soon when it is even drier.

weeksy

Keva, we can loop back as quick/long as you need. If people want more we can drop you early than go back out a different way. Easy.

Frog, ace.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Penwood, Wash Water , Newbury’ is closed to new replies.