Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Pentlands/Glentress Wednesday Night Crew ?
  • grantmccall63
    Free Member

Hi,

Been getting out the last few Wednesdays and the conditions just now are great in the Pentlands. Looking for an interest in a regular spin on a Wednesday….6:30pm Cargo/Lochrin Basin 7:00pm Bonaly Shop.

Any interest ? Will post again early next week.

Cheers

Grant

bigjim

yeah if its nice I’ll try to come out next week

bigbadbob
    Free Member

I’ve started setting off from Flotterstone end about 7.30-45, on Wednesdays, so might see you folks on the way round somewhere.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ojom
    Free Member

We were out as usual last night. Nice route choice out the office, up Beech/Exponential to hare hill then along round West Kip, then down the rocky chutey thing onto Green Cluech and then up and down Black Hill round the reservoirs and down Rangers Path and into Balerno again. The Island Hopping on tap in the Horse is very good.

Be happy to meet up sometime.

Northwind

I think you could twist my arm. So good to get back into the pentlands without worrying whether you’ll sink without trace.

DougD

Provided weather holds out is anyone up for a pootle this Wed?

Possibly finishing at the Spylaw Tav or Grey Horse in balerno for an ale or two and the annihilation of their bacon and scampi fries stock?

Doug

Northwind

Wednesday, wednesday. I’ve checked my diary and I can confirm that there is a wednesday this week, therefore I’m in.

DougD

Anyone planning on heading out this eve?

Doug

Northwind

I am Unwell, sorry 🙁 Not happy.

chriswilk
    Free Member

will be over there on the way home, too early for you as it’ll be at about 5.
    Take a look at the new path works by the gate at the Harlaw end of Maidens that were done this morning, but not on Monday.

If going over Maidens, someone has started to clear the water bar half way down on the Glencorse side, interested to see how it is holding up.

bigjim

Yeah I might try and make it out, was going to tag along with the girls but could split. Was quite keen to get a spin down jonny zebra before the bracken gets too high.

scotroutes

Just back from a trail maintenance session. Have a ride round Clubbiedean and report back 🙂

chriswilk
    Free Member

will go round clubbidean on the cross bike on way home and report back later. See how the official trail maintenance has gone.

Know how far the new surface goes down from the gate at the end of Maidens? There is another of those rubber water bars and some new gravel, looks like it goes all the way down to the next gate.

DougD

Sounds good, what time you thinking of Jim? Also where on earth is Jonny Zebra?

Scotroutes – how was the session? Saw it on the FB page but couldn’t get the time off to come along unfortunately.

bigjim

7pm at the shoppe hopefully. Johnny zebra is the one that goes from half way along cox’s towards the golf course at swanston.

chriswilk
    Free Member

New sleepers on the bridges, lots of low branches cut and was that more logs in the stream?

Down maidens, the stones of the water bar are almost uncovered now

grantmccall63
    Free Member

Posted a thread on Monday but had to get out on Tuesday this week for home reasons

Hope to be out next Wednesday and will post again next Monday to rally interest.

Pentland were in great condition last night

Grant

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I may drag myself out of retirement for this.

scotroutes

An unexpected side-effect of the move to modern (wide) handlebar standards….

bigjim

Yes I can confirm that bridge is now renthal fatbar friendly.

Cracking night up there, managed to piece together a lot of the finest narrowest singletrack, even the castlelaw singletrack is largely dry, bracken isn’t up yet on jonny zebra. top stuff.

DougD

Good work on the repairs, all seemed nice and solid.

That bit over the pipe (wounded knee??) is still a bit sporty but not sure how you’d go about putting in something weatherproof without it being a fair bit of work.

Trails were excellent, the bit of rain made it less dusty and more grippy.

Fingers crossed the weather holds out for a while longer

scotroutes

Lots of discussion about wounded knee. Rangers preference is to leave it as is, add a couple of sleepers slightly “upstream” to give an option and make the straight-across approach more formal. The problem is that the bank on that wee burn is undercut on both sides so any new bridge might not last long. One alternative would be to lay sleepers across the pipe (and roots) but there are concerns about damaging the roots of the nearby trees.

That’s on the July session list, as is the pile of logs in the burn just west of that. Again, there was chat about putting a couple of sleepers across. Personally, I quite like it as it is 🙂

There’s one wee drainage ditch/cross drain required plus some gorse clearing. After that, I don’t think there’s much we should be doing to that section so we’ll be after suggestions. Bigger stuff (like the inundated section at Green Cleugh) needs contractor-style work, the Black Hill path could do with a wee bit of work in two small areas but it’s currently not on the Rangers radar.

bigjim

I like the logs too.

Northwind

I like the junior kickstart logs too.

I thought the stream at wounded knee was stone walled once you get away from the current “bridge”?

How much gorse clearing? Is that at the west end mainly? I, er, I mean my mate is busy for the next couple of weeks with a highlands trip but that sort of thing is easily dealt with.

chriswilk
    Free Member

suggestion – Maidens on the glencorse side – the top water bar just down from the stream – it is completely undercut and the water is just running through it. Needs more work than one person with a trowel can manage.
    Should be an hour or so and it would stop a lot of damage further down as the water runs 100m+ down the trail.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Pentlands/Glentress Wednesday Night Crew ?’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts