Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Pentlands Nuit de Bivvy
  • NewRetroTom

Well Craig bailed out, so it was just Andy and myself for the bivvy night.
    We headed down to Inverleith Park for a few games of polo with the fixee crew. This went on a bit longer than planned, and we played until 10.15 when it was getting a bit dark.
    We went our separate ways, Andy and I returning to our respective homes to swop bikes and pick up our packs for the night, meeting up again at 11.15 ready for the hills.
    A quiet ride out along the canal and up the water of Leith gave some time for reflection. Conversation was minimal as we had our own thoughts.
    It was good to have the towpath to ourselves as it's normally clogged with runners and walkers on summer evenings.
    The pace was relaxed, partly as this was Andy's first mtb ride since breaking his wrist trying to ride the scary drop at SSUK. The absence of some of the more speedy members of our usual riding crew meant that there was no hurry.
    As we reached the hills proper a feeling that we were in a 24 hour race came over us. That's the only other time I'm usually on a mountain bike at midnight.
    As the track took us further into the hills I noticed a difference in our riding. Puddles were to be avoided, as it would be a long time until a chance of a hot shower. Normally these would be splashed through gleefully.
    We made it to the edge of the reservoir – the planned scene of our bivvy and had a look around for a comfortable spot. We found a good one almost straight away, under some old Scots pine trees was a carpet of smooth grass.
    Bivvy bags were pulled out and so were the beers and the whisky.
    We chatted about old times, future plans, the nature of the world and good friends.
    Andy poured refils of Jameson's into my reluctant mug until I realised it was 2.30. Time to sleep.

I woke at about 5 to the sound of rain on my bivvy and a slight trickle flowing into my unzipped bag. Snuggled deeper in and went back to sleep.
    Next thing Andy was awake – 7 o'clock – time to get up.

We speedily pushed our wet bags into rucksacks and rode off down the trail.
    A blast down the Poet's seemed like a good way to start the day. Soaking wet howling discs shattering the peace of the morning.
    Made it home and showered the muck off my legs.
    I'd better go to work now!

cynic-al
    Free Member

tramps!

Seriously, looks fun, if I had a shower at work I'd try it.

boxelder

Some pedant'll be along in a minute to point out that Jameson's is whiskEy. 😳
    Good effort – it was a wet night.

AlasdairMc

Was that at Harlaw perchance?

sheldona
    Free Member

looks nice Lockerbie 🙂

squattingmouse
    Free Member

Looks good – nice spot.

NewRetroTom

Aye, it's Harlaw.
    Tiredness is starting to kick in now…

uistboy
    Free Member

aye jamesons is tramp juice indeed
    did hehaw in the office today

actually looks dry in the morning pic

NewRetroTom

My smile looks more than a wee bit forced in that morning shot.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Pentlands Nuit de Bivvy’ is closed to new replies.