Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Pentlands gravel
  • beefy

Hi all, does anyone have a good gravel loop in the Pentlands? Or just which routes work for a gravelist?

Would be starting sort of Balerno way.

iwluap

The reservoir loop is very doable on a gravel bike. From Balerno, upto Threipmuir, to Bavelaw then cross-country to Loganlea and Glencorse, left up Maidens, down to Harlaw and back to Thriepmuir.

Northwind

Yep, agree with that. You could run it either way- on a mountain bike I’d always do it clockwise as it’s descentier that way, but it’d be a personal preference for gravel.

Out via the boarstane to carlops then back via red road would be good too, a bit longer. There’d be some tricky bits on the descent towards north esk reservoir but nothing too out of hand.

ojom
    Free Member
    didnthurt

Excellent work! I might borrow these routes too if that’s ok. Now the days are getting longer I think a mid-week spin in the Pentlands after work would ideal 👌

NewRetroTom

As iwluap says that loop would be good.
    I used to commute over Maiden’s on a cx bike every week day (Penicuik to Newbridge). Winter 2015-16 was grim.

beefy

Mega! Thank you

joshvegas
    Free Member

I quite enjoy the commute from herriot watt to Eddleston on the old gravel bike for a longer run. You’d have to loop back though.

kennyp
    Free Member

From Balerno, through the rugby club and up the wee climb by Malleny Gardens. Quick right then left at the top up the track through the trees (and over the burn). On to the road, turn left on to Harlaw Rd, then climb ll the way up to Harlaw. Gravel tracks past Harlaw and Threipmuir reservoirs (you can go round Harlaw but it’s usually very busy with walkers).

After Threipmuir keep going and take a small track through the trees (just before the car park). Turn left on to the road at the end and do the climb up Beech Tree Avenue. Curse and swear at your lack of fitness part way up (that may just be me). At the top turn left and follow the track round to the gate. Veer left after the gate across a stretch up grass to pick up the track through Green Cleugh. This is probably the best bit of the route. At the end (the White House) follow the road past Loganlea and down the hill. Part way along the road there’s a gate with the climb up Maidens. It’s brutal at the start and end but the middle bit is fine.

At the top descend down the track towards Harlaw, but at the first gate take the track on the right down past the old firing range. Keep going till you get to the tarmac at the top of Kirkgate Hill (another White House). Turn right and head towards the farm. Double back on yourself as you go through the farm and follow another nice gravel path for about three miles all the way to Bonaly. Say hello if you’re passing. Go down the hill on the road (past the shop) the straight across at the bottom where you’ll pick up the Water of Leith track all the way back to Balerno.

Have fun.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Pentlands gravel’ is closed to new replies.