Viewing 28 posts - 81 through 108 (of 108 total)
  • Pentland MTB Orienteering event – thoughts?
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I did manage to arrange some path repair days with the Rangers last year which was a success. Unfortunately the rangers are undergoing reorganisation which has made it hard to arrange more but I will persist and will get back to folk when more days get arranged

thecrookofdevon

At present the organiser’s comments are swaying me in favour of doing the event rather than being put off enough by the arguments against. He appears to be involved and concerned enough to take the voices on this forum and elsewhere into account when planning the event and in particular checkpoint placement.

niterider
    Free Member

As with most things it comes down to balance but I appreciate that everyone will have a different view of what the right balance is on this one.

Living a stone’s throw from the Pentlands I am well aware of the erosion issues highlighted on this thread but as a regular Trailquester I am also a huge fan of the concept, the way the events are run and the inclusive nature which encourages more people to get out and ride (and navigate!!).

The scale and location of the Pentlands make it the ideal venue for a Trailquest but as Andy has said there is no ideal time of year (for various reasons). Although March has the potential for certain trails to be wet and at risk the organisers have excellent control over the routes open to riders and as the vast majority or riders stick to the rules at these events then any risk should be mitigated.

There are obvious trails to be OOB like Black Hill, Phantoms, North Castlelaw, etc. but I think it would be a shame to take Maiden’s out because of the short section at the junction with Phantom’s. Perhaps we could keep it in but mark that section as “push-only”?

The restricted trails open to riders will definitely impact the event but there will still be plenty route choices to be made and it means I may even find a checkpoint outside my house in Colinton… 😀

Robin

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

it was fine and dry (for the most part) last night, i dunno what you’re all whining about.

Kit
    Free Member
    stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

So to summarise, the organiser is going to be responsible, there’s not going to be many folk doing it relatively speaking and conditions are improving. Calm down, calm down (said in a very un-Scottish Edinburgh accent).

bawbag
    Free Member

I went up into the Pentlands for a ride today not realising that this event was on. Nice and dry day so I don’t think that erosion was a major concern but because it was so nice there were lots of walkers and some of the people doing this event were really racing. Surely an event which encourages people to go as fast as possible round shared tracks is unwise?

Most competitors seemed to be enjoying it rather than competing but a few were going too fast and flying past families out walking with kids. Not a great advert for mountain biking.

fizzer
    Free Member

Dead bodies & computer glitches apart what a great event in a great area for riding. Thanks to Andy & all who helped to make it possible.

No thanks to moaning whingeing nimby hypocrites who haven’t got the balls to come down & insult me in person. Yes you Kenny, skulking behind your keyboard like a good little single-tracker.

Any news on the body? with any luck it’s one of the moaners.

Actually after reading Bawbag’s latest whinge the time has come to ban mountain biking in the Pentalnds outright.

bigjim

Dead bodies & computer glitches apart what a great event in a great area for riding. Thanks to Andy & all who helped to make it possible.

No thanks to moaning whingeing nimby hypocrites who haven’t got the balls to come down & insult me in person. Yes you Kenny, skulking behind your keyboard like a good little single-tracker.

Actually after reading Bawbag’s latest whinge the time has come to ban mountain biking in the Pentalnds outright.

Wow, is that really called for? Wishing death on your fellow forum members?

jimcollins67
    Free Member

bigjim, I don’t think it was meant that way^^^^^
    There was an “incident” near to the venue, the police were in attendance, think it was a suicide…

Kit
    Free Member

bigjim, I don’t think it was meant that way^^^^^

Looks to me like it was! fizzer, if you are genuinely interested in being insulted in person, then drop me an email with some contact details, and I’ll be sure to make the necessary arrangements.

edit: Just to clarify, I doubt myself or anyone else on this forum is happy to be wished death upon them, and using the unfortunate circumstances of a person unknown to you to highlight this fact shows you up for what you are.

kennyp
    Free Member

I was up in the Pentlands for a walk yesterday. Had you made yourself known I’d have been delighted to insult you in person. Never skulked behind anything in my life. Do please accept my most sincere apologies that I wasn’t able to insult you personally. Hope it didn’t spoil your day.

kennyp
    Free Member

moaning whingeing nimby hypocrites who haven’t got the balls to come down & insult me in person

……says the man who waits till the day after the event to indulge in some on-line abuse of his own. Curious.

Northwind

Don’t worry about it, Fizzer already proved himself to be a **** earlier in the thread, he’s just adding a little more evidence.

NZCol

My goodness, some of you lot need to go out and ride your bikes a wee bit and relax.

kennyp
    Free Member

My goodness, some of you lot need to go out and ride your bikes a wee bit and relax.

Don’t worry, I don’t take any of it seriously. 🙂

I did think about taking your advice, but it’s blowing a gale and raining outside, so I think I’ll chill out with a beer and the highlights of the cycling this afternoon in Spain.

Garry_Lager

It was a great event – some good routes available. Don’t think I’ve ever been ersed to go up to the flag at Castlelaw before, it was a lovely day to finally do so.
    Impressive winning score – the guy absolutely whalloped the course by the sounds of it.

kennyp
    Free Member

It was a great event – some good routes available

Out of curiousity, did any of the route drop down into Bonaly at all? We saw a bloke in a red top cycling around near the house with a map on his handlebars, and then again on the road by Dreghorn Barracks. Poor chap looked a bit lost. Was tempted to ask him, but thought that may have been against the rules.

Garry_Lager

Yes, there were 3 checkpoints in the woods around Dreghorn, plus one under the bypass on the WoL, so folk would have been riding though there. Most were dead obvious but one of the ones in the woods was craftily placed. Or at least that’s what I thought having ridden round it for a few mins.

fizzer
    Free Member

My apologies for not spending my life attached to my keyboard Kenny

I’m glad you refer to yourselves as fellow forum members instead of fellow mountain bikers, says it all as does the ‘its raining’ comment

I have little time for hypercrites goodbye

bigjim

What a bitter, sad man you are.

druidh
    Free Member

Man?

I assumed we were dealing with an angst-ridden teenager.

drookitmunter
    Free Member

Angry people are angry 🙄

kennyp
    Free Member

So Fizzer, you accuse folk on here of skulking behind our keyboards and not having the balls to insult you to your face. Well as I’ve said before, I’m more than happy to insult you to your face. Are you going to be around the Pentlands again anytime soon?

I’m quite enjoying this.

PS Loved the “hypercrites” word. I think you may have unwittingly hit the nail on the head there.

proteus
    Free Member

ooh, an internet keyboard warrior battle…

bigjim

I thought all mountain bikers must be nice people. Santa won’t be real next.

Kit
    Free Member

That D20 is sweeeeeeeet! 😀

Northwind

I MUST HAVE IT!!1!oNE

Viewing 28 posts - 81 through 108 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Pentland MTB Orienteering event – thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.