Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Pensions – whos got one?
  • anjs
    Free Member

A nice 1/35 final salary pension for me

willard

I have one which both I and the company contribute to. I have no idea how much it will provide me with on retirement though, probably not that much as it is only seven years old.

philconsequence
    Free Member

cheers IHN 🙂

i’m still a bit confused as to how people not having a pension will effect those that do? doesn’t everyone get a state pension and if you have a private one thats in addition to the basic government one? (please note i have already mentioned i’m not exactly clued up on this subject so apologies for being supremely stooopid)

simonm
    Free Member

what if i dont want a pension? what if the employer goes under and collapses as a business, what if the manager steals all the money and leaves the country?

Read up before you rant… its a personal pension that is not employer owned. So it moves with you all your life.

how do people not having pensions cost people who do have pensions?

Because, there are a large number of people who have made NO provision for their retirement. (Not sure if you have or not). So come retirement age, there are those of us who have sacrificed salary all our lives, and those who have made no provision. We can’t just toss those people out in the street come retirement age. So they either live off the state pension.. which is inadequate, or other government benefits. Both of which are a cost to all tax payers.
    Now, more than ever, fewer people are making any provision for a pension.
    Its no different to the argument that the public sector are demonstrating today.

5lab

that’s my understanding – however state pension is only £100/week at the moment, which might be enough for you to live on, but if you want a more comfortable lifestyle, you may want a bit more cash.

incidentally, that’s the approx equivilent of a £120k pension pot..

stumpy01

Hmmmm. I have one that’s with my first job after graduating. It was paid into for 3.5 yrs or so & is now just sat there.
    I have a second one that is pretty much the same. I think I can pay into that one if I want to and once Christmas is out of the way, I think I will start making a small regular payment into that one.

Neither of those are currently worth very much at all.

Finally I have a pension with my current employer that again isn’t gonna be worth very much unless I jack up the payments.
    I’d rather hedge my bets a bit and put some into one of my other pensions and some into this one, than paying lots into this one.

catvet
    Free Member

Start the other way round and ask how much do you think you will need at retirement, then add up at whatever percentage returns you are likely to make, ie if you want to retire on £21k pa you will need £700,000 saved at 3 percent (at present returns) (this is above all house costs as usually you will need somewhere to live). or enough Buy to lets that will return £1750 per month gross ex all maintenance, mortgage, default payments, poor occupancy ect.
    Now most people in the private sector may not be able to achieve this level of saving and therefore pension, yet the public sector expects it to be funded in part by them? Realistic probably not!

joeegg
    Free Member

Just who is going to be managing these “compulsory “pensions.
    If you have no choice that the money is deducted from your wage then on retirement you should be given a GUARANTEED figure.Otherwise your money will go down a black hole of commissions, costs and stock market falls.

philconsequence
    Free Member

cheers simonm, please dont read my question as a rant… i did try and make a point of saying i’m not exactly clued up on the subject 🙂

i’m 27, 40years to go until i retire… i fully expect that during those 40years the retirement age will be moved to 85 or something silly. i’ve been paying tax and working 2-3 jobs at a time since i could legally work so i don’t think i’m a bad egg and i’m saving hard for my future.

simonm
    Free Member

If you want £20k p.a for your retirement the payments are something like £1000 per month given a growth of 5% over its life…..
    Calculate and fear !

djglover
    Free Member

Yes – Final salary, however accrual rate has been capped at CPI up to 2% and I doubt it will be open for more than 5 more years. Fortunatley I have a crystalised pension from a lower grade job that increases with pay inflation at the company and that is worth £7K a year in todays money when I retire, so even if I leave today I’ll have something to live on when I retire. Aim is to build to about 20K. My old fella seems to live a very lavish lifestyle with his 20K pension, so thats all I’m basing that on.

midlifecrashes

Property

5lab

@simonm – thanks for that link ( http://www.hl.co.uk/pensions/interactive-calculators/pension-calculator ) – very handy and good to use, interesting assumptions too (7% average growth – I guess this is normal but sounds high!)

Gary_M
    Free Member

You can’t cash a pension in, unless you retire. And even then you don’t ‘cash it in’ you buy an annuity.

Sell it then, whatever.

midlifecrashes

7% Growth! Show that to the muppets running my with-profits endowment mortgage.

5lab

you can’t do that either iirc. Money in a pension is there for good

IHN

Sell it then, whatever.

I’m not entirely sure you can do that either. Everything in there has been put in there tax free, so if you can sell them, I’d imagine it’d come with a hefty CGT/NI bill. Could be wrong though.

simonm
    Free Member

7% Growth!

Lol, that was a calculator created before 2009 !

jonba
    Free Member

I have a defined contribution pot that I’ve been paying into since my first proper job 5 years ago.

I put in the maximum that the employer will match. The rest is not going in a pension as I would like to be able to get at the money as and when I want.

You can do various things at retirement, you can take a cash lump sum (25%?) and then buy an annuity or do and “income drawdown”, you might be able to do a combination of both.

At present I’m able to afford to save so I may as well. I get an equivalent of 10% more pay from my employer if I put it in a pension. In the 40 or more years before I retire who knows what will happen. The only thing I’d put money on is that it’s not going to get any better and that everybody will live out a wealthy retirement funded by the government.

Blackhound

Took mine at 51, just over a year ago. It was a 60th final salary pension and I made AVC’s over the last 20+ years as well. Took a bit of a hit on what I would get at 60 (~20%)but with a buy-to-let income will be fine. (Former public sector that got privatised by John Major)

I was lucky, wouldn’t like to be starting out now. My daughter is probably waiting for me to keel over while all I do is eat healthily and keep exercising!

smogmonster

Private sector pension. I pay 12.5%, my company pays 10%. Over £1000 a month goes into the pot, but ive only been contributing the last 18 months or so.

rkk01
    Free Member

Over £1000 a month goes into the pot

That’s an awful lot of money to waste 🙁

jota180
    Free Member

I sometimes do struggle with people in their 20s putting loads away for when they’re old and looking forward to having a good time then

It sort of seems a bit negative, I dunno

smogmonster

rkk01..tell me about it, but the alternative is a lose 40% of it in tax. I can only hope its worth something when i eventually retire in 34 years time!

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Been stuffing 7% a month away into a final salary for the last 5 years and work has been doing the same only with 22% so Im putting myself firmly into the lucky category. Probably wont be worth much in the long run as Im not planning on sticking around here for another 40 years but every little helps and not to be sniffed at in this day and age.

toby1

Plan a) Die before I hit retirement age …

Plan b) erm …

rkk01
    Free Member

the alternative is to lose all of it in a room full of smoke and mirrors

FTFY

Between 1992/3?? and 2000 myself and my employer contributed to a scheme with Equitable Life – one of the most respected providers at the time.

I considerably overpaid – as young professional people with an eye to “looking after themselves” and not being reliant on the state were advised to do.

When Equitable went tits up my pension pot was worth about 17k. as one of my equally bitter colleagues had said at the time:

– we might as well have taken the **** lot out in to the garden and set fire to it… at least we would have had a bloody good bonfire party.

And that it, really – IMO. Personal pension = a very good way to feed fat financiers 👿

jota180
    Free Member

Probably wont be worth much in the long run as Im not planning on sticking around here for another 40 years but every little helps and not to be sniffed at in this day and age.

We can only hope in 40 years that the money and you are still available to spend
    The amount of hard working peoples pension money that gets stolen on a daily basis is staggering

toby1

Hmm, hold on so any contributuons I make will be deducted before tax? So maybe it does make sense to do then as I loose a fortune in tax each month …. wherebe these calculator things?

5lab

rkk01 – I thought equitable life compensation had now been paid, so you’re not out of pocket?

toby1 – yeah that’s true – so you essentially save 40% more than you could otherwise. In addition, there’s no tax on the amount in the pension pot growing (unlike a savings account) so you win that way too

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

I’m a nurse so have one of the gold plated super duper ones.

The stuff the NHS send me says I’ll get £9127 pa if I live long enough to get it, although around £1500 of that will be taxable I believe, as will any other income.

Gonna be living the high life, me.

simonm
    Free Member

rkk01 – that’s really shit.. My old man got Maxwell.
    However, the issues Pensions face are that people still believe they will get maxwelled or same as you.. and then in the last 10 years everyone went into property making pretty big returns.
    The upshot was that pension got a bad name, so even those with no other form of income at retirement said so it, what’s the point…
    Which leaves a pretty big problem looming in the future..the non-pensioned.

It’s got so bad, our company offers a pension contribution, and despite it being part of their package, several younger people have said don’t bother with it…

druidh
    Free Member

I’m already drawing my pension.

A few times I was looking at other jobs which seemed to pay a lot more but I’d have had to make my own pension arrangements. I thought it was sensible to accept the lower salary for the benefit of a decent pension.

Didn’t stop me from getting screwed over (twice) as a result of out-sourcing and in-sourcing, and then accepting a lower monthly pension for the benefit of retiring early in order to avoid constantly applying for my own job in various reshuffles and rationalisations.

jota180
    Free Member

However, the issues Pensions face are that people still believe they will get maxwelled or same as you.. and then in the last 10 years everyone went into property making pretty big returns.

This sort of thing puts people off

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11452857

trb
    Free Member

I’ve got 3 Defined contributions (2 frozen), currently I pay 5% the company pays 10%. It’s a way to get another 10% from the company, plus payments get tax relief.

I’m under the impression that things are requlated a lot more tightly after the Maxwell & Equitable life things?

rkk01
    Free Member

They might be better regulated – but look at the stock markets. The returns aren’t there….

I can’t see that money purchase schemes are anything other than a wheeze for the finacial sector to make money out of Joe Public.

Alhough I’m not public sector, never have been, I can very much sympathise with their efforts to protect their pension rights. They have paid in to them, after all.

firestarter
    Free Member

I have a gold plated fire service one with ten years worth of £300 every four weeks paid in to it and its going up by 3.6% I also transferred ten years army pension into it , I currently have 16 years left to get my full quota in but that’s soon to be 23 years and probably more in the future. And for all that I’ll get less 😉 nice one

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

I’m a nurse so have one of the gold plated super duper ones.

The stuff the NHS send me says I’ll get £9127 pa if I live long enough to get it, although around £1500 of that will be taxable I believe, as will any other income.

Gonna be living the high life, me.

I know it’s not bad but I am a full time nurse at the top of my banding: nursing assistants, clerical and ancillary staff will get a lot less.

They certainly wont be going loco down in Acapulco whatever the Govt tell you.

Pembo
    Free Member

Blimey, anjs must be an MP if he’s on a 1/35th scheme!

Why do people claim they have ‘frozen’ pensions when it’s usually not the case. If like trb you have some old Defined Contributions scheme you may be better off transferring them to a low-cost SIPP (do your own research etc etc).

Your invested money is not going to build up into a useful pot unless you put some effort into managing it.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Pensions – whos got one?’ is closed to new replies.