Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • pension changes?
  • john_drummer
    Free Member

I’ve had a couple of unsolicited phone calls lately, from companies calling themselves “Independant Financial Advisors”, claiming there have been some recent changes to the legislation on “frozen” pension funds.

I’m aware of the new Workplace Pension Auto-enrolment thing, but is anyone on here aware of anything else pension related?

I basically sent them away “sorry, can’t talk now, my boss is standing right next to me” but now I’m curious.
    Or is it basically the same kind of spam as “we’re phoning about the accident you had” “what accident?”

eltonerino

Me too, from pensions I was paying into when I was still in high school…

Tell them where to go.

stealthcat

I’d guess it’s to do with this – FT article – ie only an issue if you want to transfer into a self-invested scheme or take money out of your pension before you hit retirement age…

john_drummer
    Free Member

ah I see, thanks stealthcat. basically, they’re the pensions equivalent of ambulance chasers…

I have a few pension pots from previous jobs that I no longer pay into, but I wouldn’t describe them as “frozen” in the way that article describes.

stealthcat

I’m guessing, but given I’d just been reading that article, it would make sense…

That and the fact that anyone who phones me up claiming to be an independent Financial Adviser is not going to get my business on principle!

john_drummer
    Free Member

Also funny how the guy who’s been looking after these pension pots since 1998 hasn’t been in touch other than the routine once a year “anything I can do for you” email

kcal

I had someone introduce themselves to me as an “Independent Financial Adviser”… “you mean commission-led (this was a while back) financial products salesman?” they rapidly lost interest..

loddrik
    Free Member

Pensions, I wish I had a pension. 😥

Marin
    Free Member

No pension so no change for me.

john_drummer
    Free Member

loddrik, marin, are you employed, self employed, or ‘other’?

if you’re employed, as I understand it, from April this year you will be in a pension scheme. whether you like it or not* 😉 and also whether you’re already in a scheme or not

* unless you choose to opt out

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘pension changes?’ is closed to new replies.