Pennine Bridleway advice please, east/north east of Manchester.

Home Forum Bike Forum Pennine Bridleway advice please, east/north east of Manchester.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Pennine Bridleway advice please, east/north east of Manchester.
  • fatboyjon

Morning all, I’m doing a point to point ride on Sunday and will be using the Pennine Bridleway between about Glossop area and Litleborough area. How well signed posted is that section or should I expect lots of navigating? Is it mostly reasonably well surfaced or likely to be a mud bath?

From Littleborough I’m planning on heading over Freeholds Top then Thieveley Pike which look like easier navigating but anyone know what the trails are like?

Cheers folks.

nbt

Glossop to Tintwistle is a bit of a mystery. Once you get to the right place in Tintwistle it’s fine from there onwards in terms of signposting, and it’s pretty well surfaced in general

Premier Icon Hooter
    Subscriber

IIRC It’s mostly good quality tracks, definitely from Diggle northwards. Navigation won’t be too hard with a map, the tracks are all very clear on the ground.

johnellison

From Littleborough I’m planning on heading over Freeholds Top then Thieveley Pike which look like easier navigating but anyone know what the trails are like?

Haven’t been over there recently but I suspect that given the recent weather/ground conditions it’s going to be more Paaschendael than El Alamein.

The sections over Freeholds and Thievely aren’t all made up tracks and can get VERY vague, especially in the area to the East of Whitworth round Brown Wardle and Hades Hill. There are a lot of old mining/quarry tracks which criss-cross the area and the whole place is generally used as a massive playground by the local motocross/enduro pikeys which confuses things further.

Freeholds itself is extremely boggy – the last time I was up there was about 2 years ago in the middle of June and in places I was up to my thighs in water. I shudder to think what it’s like now.

Theiveley is better – it’s still boggy but drains more quickly.

fatboyjon

Cheers for all that, looks like I’ll be leaving nice and early to leave time for route changes.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Pennine Bridleway advice please, east/north east of Manchester.’ is closed to new replies.