• This topic has 10 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by fbk.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Penmachno/CYB conditions
  • Bernaard
    Free Member

I am looking at heading to Wales at the end of the week but was wondering what to do?
    Have not been to Coed-y-Brenin for years, so was contemplating doing the Beast again
    The original plan was to do Penmachno, but as it’s summer and the weather is grim I know that it’s not nice in crappy weather
    The other thing is that last time at penmachno a lot of the trail was overgrown, particularly on the triple descent bit
    I know I should MTFU but the boss isn’t happy when I go into work on crutches

Any idea of how either is holding up after the recent rains

I could always do llandegla, but have been there quite a bit this year
    Thanks

Doug
    Free Member

No naked riding is a pretty standard condition.

Both are pretty immune to rain until the bridges get washed out.

highclimber
    Free Member

went to Penmachno the other week after some wet weather and it was a right hoot (as it always is). there are a few trees/shrubs that could do with cutting back but nothing too much that gets in the way although I did catch my pedal on a rock hidden in some overgrowth which spat me off my bike. it was ok though!

crotchrocket
    Free Member

Conditions in Wales are as they always are “Wet”. HTH

supersaiyan
    Free Member

We did it on Sunday, it was awesome, quite the most pretty trail centre I’ve done! Some of sections were streams and it was a bit puddly but because of all the bedrock it runs really well, and yes some of the sections were narrow but isn’t that what we all crave? take Deet and waterproof shorts/socks etc and you’ll be fine.

highclimber
    Free Member

take Deet and waterproof shorts/socks etc and you’ll be fine.

Waterproof shorts?? really? whats wrong with being wet for a couple hours?

fathomer

highclimber – Member
    take Deet and waterproof shorts/socks etc and you’ll be fine.
    Waterproof shorts?? really? whats wrong with being wet for a couple hours?

Why not? I’m intent on using mine this weekend as well!

emac65
    Free Member

Both are fine in the wet,did CYB the other week when they had all the floods up there.Roads getting to there were a nightmare & one was shut.Once there the trails were a bit wet but running fine…

Bernaard
    Free Member

Cheers

martinhutch

I did it on the same day as emac and would second this. CYB is rideable in just about any conditions short of sheet ice!

Venison burger in the cafe was pretty nice, too.

fbk
    Free Member

The worse the weather gets, the more I enjoy Coed y Brenin – that’s the best bit about the place. You can pretty much guarantee a good ride whatever the conditions. I was there sunday and had great fun riding down streams :).

Penmachno is similar but as you say, you don’t really want to be on the top of loop 2 in a storm.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Penmachno/CYB conditions’ is closed to new replies.