Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Penmachno route map?
  • pixelmix
    Free Member

I've booked a house for a week in Betws-y-coed this summer. Will be taking the race hardtail to get some quick evening blasts in on my own. Marin Trail looks like a quick ride from Betws and I can join half way round, so that it one ride sorted.

I can't find a map for Penmachno anywhere. Any ideas? I presume it is well marked, but would be good to see if I could pick it up part way round to save too much slogging along the road.

nbt

It is very well marked, but there are no official route maps posted due to the restrictions placed on the trailbuilders / mentors by the landowners

Loop 1 map here
    http://www.dilan4.com/beics/dolen1a.htm

Full route map here
    http://www.thewoollybacks.co.uk/Website%20Pages/Routes.html

ph0010421
    Free Member

<Aside>Five of us did Marin and Penmachno this weekend. Marin, truth be known, was disappointing. You can pedal from BYC and join half way, as you say. Handy for a pint on the way back to digs. The final descent (ride fast and free, or summet like that is brilliant, though). Penmachno, however, is a triumph. The singletrack dh's are just fantastic. Really. My new favourite trail…
    Hope you enjoy it, matey
    </Aside>

pixelmix
    Free Member

Great, thanks both. I had heard Marin wasn't as good, but since it is on the doorstep, I may as well!

So loop 2 at Penmachno looks like an addon to loop 1? Looks simpler just to ride to the start point for this one rather than trying to join part way.

stevemakin

ask the guys in Beics Betws for local info on trails 😉

nickegg
    Free Member

Looking at that JPG image of Penmachno it would appear you can join Loop 2 at around the halfway point by climbing up into the forest on a fire road from Fairy Glen.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Thanks all. Googled Beics Betws, and they seem to have half decent maps of the routes too, which confirm that Penmachno 1 + 2 seem to be capable of being added together to make a 30km ride or so. Sounds like a good ride. 🙂

BMC09
    Free Member

you will not be disappointed by Penmachno, probably one of my favourite trails… starts tough, but gets so much better, an what a way to end….
    😀 <- my face at the end

whytetrash

Pixel mix..with Penmachno you get so far round and its a turn left for loop 1 turn right for loop 2 job…clearly sign posted..way better than the Marin but Marin is still great for an evening blast round…post up when you are riding on here if you fancy some company…we do evening rides round there in the summer!

jd-boy
    Free Member

Yes you can link the second (New) loop from the village of Penmachno, go straight on at the pub instead of going to the normal parking, follow the road until you see a right turn up the hill, at the creast the trail crosses the road.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Penmachno route map?’ is closed to new replies.