Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Penistone …..near Barrrrrnsley / Sheffield
  • RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Anyone live there?

Wot's it like, any good pubs? Any biking at all? Good Indian?

Thinking of maybe moving out there, possibly you see…

ta

mjb

It's full of students from what i hear 😉

racing_ralph
    Free Member

its **** horrible!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

hmmm encouraging then! Wonder if its worth bothering taking a look . .

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

hmmm encouraging then! Wonder if its worth bothering taking a look . .

Andy-W
    Free Member

close to the peaks and wharncliffe

porterclough
    Free Member

Handy ish for Cut Gate.

Can't think of anything else. The train to Barnsley/Sheffield or Huddersfield is quite slow… Are you after isolation?

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

certainly is! I'm in sheffield at moment but am looking to first-time buy somewhere cheap and semi-rural!

thejesmonddingo

It can be a bit rough in town Fri and Sat,but Cubley hall does a nice pint and is quieter,getting a big new Tesco soon,Lex's is a good LBS,a couple of good indians,espescially the Cinnamon Spice,Wharncliffe is about 4 miles down the old railway track,enough bridleways etc to construct some trails,Cut Gate close by,the M1 about 6 miles away,and convenient for manchester,Holmfirth etc.I live just down the hill in Silkstone.Probs worth having a full day out there,stopping for a meal and drinks,to get a taste of it.
    Ian

hp_source

I used to live in Thurgoland (just down the road). Penistone's OK but nothing special. Never really bothered drinking there, The Bridge & Green Dragon in Thurgoland are OK.

Bike wise there's some nice riding around the area, and Lex's is a good little shop.

Have you thought about Denby Dale? only an extra couple of stops on the Train, but an more villagey feel and there's an Aagrah there if you like your indian food.

TN
    Free Member

If you are already in Sheffield there are some bits around Loxley and Wisewood that are surprisingly reasonably priced – very handy for the peak and wharncliffe.
    We live near there and ride out to Strines and ladybower from home – it's pretty good.

simonm
    Free Member

Have those students chased you that far out of town ?

Long way to ride to work Dan, although they are improving the TPT through Oughtibridge to Town, with plans to make it better up to Stocksbridge…

Also consider Wharncliffe side, Oughtibridge, Stocksbridge, Grenoside if your looking out that way.

As Above Lex's is a great little shop, owners are V helpfull and hold regular night rides. Wharncliffe is a mere step away down the TPT.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Cheers guys, thanks for your opinions.

tbh it's a little more complicated than I made it sound…

basically as first time buyers (and those that haven't huge deposits) we've applied (and been accepted) for a govt scheme where the deposit is coughed up by the new build developer in the short term and you pay it back interest- free over 5 years (or when you sell the house).

As such if we go for it, our new house has to be on a development signed up to the scheme. At the moment our choices are Darnall (!), Heeley, Half-way, Swallownest and Ecclesfield in Sheffield or ….

Millhouse Green (just down rd from Penistone) or Penistone..

… so in the context of it's rivals Penistone's looking a good bet…!

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Morning Si… see above! 🙂

I already have colleagues who drive in from Penistone so I could probably get a lift…

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Penistone's not a bad place at all – close to some excellent riding, and it's called PENIStone – what more do you want?

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

(and we now have one, possibly two cars, although I've not yet learnt to drive either :-S )

docrobster
    Free Member

Penistone is a great place to live- I worked there for a year. Handy for the peaks and sheffield but rural if that is what you like. Decent bike shop in oxspring: lex's mountain bike heaven and not at all like the rest of Barnsley. Bit more upmarket. Decent pubs. I can personally vouch for the Doctors at Penistone group practice as well, should you ever need their services!
    Riding wise as said above you've wharncliffe woods and cut gate right on your doorstep.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

"and not at all like the rest of Barnsley."
    How very dare you! we've even got electricity in Darfield, and I'm thinking of looking into buying some 'carpet' – not sure what it is, but apparently it's quite the hit in certain circles.

mt
    Free Member

Carpet, very posh.

beefy

RopeyReignRider, penistone is not all bad, got a great farmers market, some nice indians, great fish shops, a cool little cinema with an interval and everything. Got friends who live there, we live over the hill in Holmfirth.

Millhouse green is very close to Langsett, which is one end of Cut Gate and some very very good riding.

Drop me an email at r a dresser at googlemail dot com and I will happily show you around. There is a bunch of us who do Thursday night rides in Holmfirth as well.

Like you say, first time buyers and all, you could do a lot worse. Lex's is ace as well.

jimmy

My exGF lived in Penistone. There are far worse places to live. As has been said, Wharncliffe and Cut gate very close, drive along Strines through to Ladybower and other peak access.

What drove me nuts was the commute. Took about an hour to get to Sheffield of a morning which ain't too bad, but I hate sitting in traffic; you get to Fox Hill in about 15 minutes then crawl along Penistone Rd. It could be run / biked much quicker from there. If I lived there myself I'd get a motorbike and/or commute along the old railway line (is it the TPT?).

As for nightlife…

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

cheers Beefy – I may well be in touch.

I think I'll drag the Mrs out there and have a look about.

At the moment neither of us drive which could be an issue; however the Mrs is learning and I could probably scab a lift to work with colleagues..

Does anyone know of an alternative router from Penistone / Millhouse green to Ecclesall rd south that doesn't involve Penistone rd?

(that'd be the main issue.. whether or not Mrs RRR could get to work in a reasonable time).

tbh compared with the other sites available (Darnall, Heeley, Ecclesfield etc) Penistone or Millhouse Green sounds quite tempting..

(I was bought up in the Fens – see Fens thread, and hence don't mind open spaces and lack of people at all)

jackthedog
    Free Member

Don't know what it's like to live there, but if you're commuting into Sheffield it's perectly feasible to do so by bike.

You get a rather wonderful, mostly flat and sheltered traffic-free route all the way pretty much to Hillsborough (in all that distance you'll literally spend about 4 minutes on road, half of which is along a lightly used factory access road) and then you'll join Penistone Road where you're ten minutes from the town centre and can happily sail past all the queuing traffic 🙂

Seems pretty epic at first but it really isn't – I live practically in Wharncliffe woods and nip up the TPT to Langsett and over Cut Gate without thinking about it. Penistone is what, half way bewteen Cut Gate and Wharny?

It would be a properly brilliant commute on a CX bike, and your commuter's bragging rights on STW would be immense.

jimmy

this is making me want to live back in Penistone. But for the ex's brothers living there…

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

jackthedog.. hmmm, my current commute is about 2 miles.. that sounds like an unpleasant step up in distance!!

who knows.. it might be possible..

simonm
    Free Member

You could always get to the supertram at Sheffield end of Penistone road, then your straight into town.

theflatboy
    Free Member

my girlfriend despairs of me because, despite the fact we have been driving to and from her parents' place nearby for several years, i still chuckle every time i see signs to it 😆

Free Member

wharncliffe side is a sh*t hole… i lived there for 4 years. inbred dump.

oughtibridge isnt too bad, further up the hill (on the way to the woods) is a little better, but can be a bit '6 fingers' if you walk into a pub.

penistone, that's alright, a little remote and quiet – not a bad thing, but it just seems a little 'dead' as a place to live/be.

further round the edge of sheffield, loxley/back and beyond of walkley surrounding area's is a little better, but there can be some scrotes in hilsborough especially around football time.

'that end' of sheffield never really did anything for me and I found it quite bland, when i moved to lodge moor that was much better, still nice and quiet but with a much easier access to the centre when you wanted and riding exactly on your doorstep. personally, i'd look at that end of town.

all imo of course 😉
    jt

Free Member

scrub that – just READ your latter comment about the govt scheme.

penistone it is then 😉

simonm
    Free Member

further round the edge of sheffield, loxley/back and beyond of walkley surrounding area's is a little better
    Cheers, that ull be Stannington where I moved to from Ecclesall road ! So, is that Lodge moor gypo Camp you live in ? 😛 many areas have there good and bad sides dont they.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

hmmm tis frustrating . . . I'd probably not choose to live as far out as Penistone normally but given where the other developments are it's probably the best out of them all. .

Although there is another development in Halfway . . . Whats that like Si!?

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

hmmm tis frustrating . . . I'd probably not choose to live as far out as Penistone normally but given where the other developments are it's probably the best out of them all. .

Although there is another development in Halfway . . . Whats that like Si!?

porterclough
    Free Member

Halfway's at the end (!) of the tram at Mosborough, about a mile past Crystal Peaks shopping centre, just before the Sheffield / NE Derbyshire border, not far from Killamarsh. There's a big Morrisons and lots of new houses. Rother Valley country park isn't far (Swallownest on the far side about 3 miles away).

It's not very exciting.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

cheers! To be honest living in hunters bar and not driving I've not seen much of Sheffield in the 7 years I've been here!

Hmmm i dont know . . I'm a country bumkin at heart but want a few more years going out for some beers yet . . . Tricky in penistone perhaps. .

simonm
    Free Member

My bro in law lives out that way Dan, and a couple of my mates ended up there in the mid 90s when all the housing estates were built… Given the choice, Penis tone is a much nicer rural location. That whole valley, Stocksbridge etc, is getting regeneration money.

Whichever location Dan, there all a looooong way from the lifestyle of eccy road. Move to Penistone, have a sprog, then you wont miss all the convenient bars, shops, takeaways, travel links, nightlife etc.. I still miss eccy road, took a long time to adjust, but I love where I live now, given my current lifestyle.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

yeah well thats the thing si – wherever we choose we'll be for a while and hence probably have sprogs there etc. . . -With that in mind i think i'd rather have them in penis tone than say heeley or darnall!

I guess its a decision everyone has to come to really . . When priorities change etc.

I just dont feel entirely ready to not go on big nights out . . . Wonder how much a taxi back from sheffield to penis town is?!

thejesmonddingo

If it helps,the local schols are good,and PGS is the best Secondary school in the Barnsley area.
    Ian

jackthedog
    Free Member

Really don't move to Halfway.

docrobster
    Free Member

Does anyone know of an alternative router from Penistone / Millhouse green to Ecclesall rd south that doesn't involve Penistone rd?

When I worked at penistone I was living at the top of crookes. Not much quicker but definitely more fun to go across the moors- From penis tone to midhopesones, cross the A616 then head to high bradfield, and then loxley. From there you can skirt round stannington to rivelin valley, up lodge lane round the back of lodge moor/fulwood to ringinglow road then join the traffic jams there instead!
    I used to get through a set of brake pads every 6months doing that sort of route twice a day.
    I was doing it the other way as well so had less to gain in terms of traffic as was going out of sheff in the mornings. Would definitely save time commuting from penistone to eccy road in the am.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

I live in Millhouse Green and it's fine. Good cross section of housing and biking. TPTrail yards away so off road access to Wharncliffe and up to Woodhead, Cut Gate,Langsett etc. Also brilliant pub The Huntsman which is in Thurlstone, I run the Tuesday quiz, good selection of real ale and barmy locals. Penistone may offer cheaper housing but not so good on the pub front. let me know if you want me to keep an eye out on the property front.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Penistone …..near Barrrrrnsley / Sheffield’ is closed to new replies.