Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Pedestrians with children blocking cycle lanes, best course of action?
  • kaesae
    Free Member

Having had another argument with a group of pedestrians and thier children who were standing having a chat on a cycle lane.

I can’t help but wonder what it would take for the people in the UK to give a shit? even if we did manage to get a decent cycle network, what would be the point if everyone then simply walks along it or stands there blocking it.

When you come across a group off people with kids standing blocking a cycle lane should you simply let them have it and go around, or should you ask them to move, in the hope that in the future they will avoid blocking cycle lanes for no good reason?

tthew

let them have it and go around

assuming they have strayed off the adjacent footpath, this is the appropriate action. With a cheery good morning/afternoon so in future they think cyclists are ace.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Go at them full pelt with a banshee war-cry. That’ll learn em.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    djglover
    Free Member

Use the road, or start a slagging match

IanMunro
    Free Member

Bunny hop em.
    A kid’s gotta be less then 3 feet, and pretty soft if you do clout it, so little risk of rim damage.

Jamie
    Free Member

MSP

Emboldened by your heroic victory over asda, you should become a masked avenger and beat to a pulp any child that dares to impede the progress of the great cycling warrior!

edit: one picture is worth more than a thousand words 😀

speaker2animals

As I understand the Highway code pedestrians have “the right of way” including on the road. Though of course no one driving a road vehicle gives a crap these days. I suspect that cycle lanes aren’t the sole preserve of cyclists to own. EG you will just have to put up with pedestrians blocking cycle lanes. It’s no different to the fact that “car” drivers rarely give a stuff about parking on cycle lanes, stopping at lights in the “bike box” etc. You see the thing is at the end of the day pedestrians/cyclists/motorcyclists/car/lorry drivers etc are all human beings and these days no one gives a stuff about anyone but themselves anymore.

igm

IanMunro +1 – and make sure you style it up a bit too.

GJP
    Free Member

I like to think that I will explode into a rage and use the worst language know to mankind to make it clear to them just how much they are pissing me off, but then I normally just cycle around them.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Jamie – brilliant.

kaesae
    Free Member

The thing is, if you simply cycle around them, then they have no clue that your not happy about it and go on oblivious, however if you ask them to move they then have a go at you!

alpin
    Free Member

i saw a good crash in munich on friday. the bike paths here in town are a split pavement affair. some woman walks out of a shop looking at her phone, handbag on shoulder, four or five bags in the other hand and not looking where she is going. she walks onto the bike path. some bloke rings his bell like crazy and then BAM! he goes straight into her. she hits the (wet) deck. her bags go flying. her phone shoots out of her hand and into the road. the guy managed to stay on his bike and just stood there. didn’t offer to help her up, but instead berated her for her action and then casually rode off. she got up and the whole right-hand of her was covered in dirt/wet.

i think the guy done it on purpose. he could have avoided her, or maybe his brakes weren’t working…..

project
    Free Member

Just respect their right, to have not many freinds, to be lonely,and to randomly chat to others with children,to gain tips and advice, as they have absolutely no idea of parenting and the risks road users have to the life of their child benefits,they cant even ride bikes, but will probably have some mutt running round crapping on the path as well.

Perhaps just shout loudly elite rider coming past.

LOL.

alpin
    Free Member

or ride full pelt at them and skid to a stop. usually makes them jump.

fozzyuk

I was full of respect for you with the Asda campaign and backed you to the hilt, I just don’t think the deliberate mowing down of children and families is going to fly 😉

Quite sure though there’s a future for you in politics working for Cameron though

😉

Cougar

Ever played skittles?

Rubber_Buccaneer

Coins in a sock is what you need. I saw it in an old Charles Bronson film called Death Wish.

kaesae
    Free Member

There is no future for me in politics, I’m happy avoiding the ratrace and earning a living helping out other riders

Politics is the art of talking shite, whilst getting paid to be useless.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Well, you could start by tucking your willy in front of your anus…

Drac

/bites tongue.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Drac – Moderator
    /bites tongue.

Hang on, do you get paid as a moderator? The rest of us give our shite for free!

butcher

Is this a dedicated cycle lane, or are we talking shared paths?

bigjim

Just cycle around them, life goes on.

palookah
    Free Member

MTFU and get on the road.

Drac

Hang on, do you get paid as a moderator?

Nope.

AlasdairMc

MTFU and get on the road.

This.

Edinburgh roads are generally fine to ride on, but if you absolutely must be on the cycle path (and assuming it’s not a shared use path) then a polite “excuse me” is all you need.

loum
    Free Member

Bell

kaesae
    Free Member

This is a dedicated cycle path, no other paths near it.

As I said they weren’t walking along the path, just standing on top of and around it, having a chat!

AlasdairMc

What path was it if it was bikes only? I thought most paths in Edinburgh were shared use?

samuri
    Free Member

As I said they weren’t walking along the path, just standing on top of and around it, having a chat!

In that case, stop and join in the chat. When they complain point out that they think it’s entirely acceptable to infringe on your space (the cycle path), so why can;t you infringe on theirs?

See? It’s clever, witty and makes them think about what they’ve done.

Also, wave a machete around.

pacemaker
    Free Member

The only person who knows the true answer to your question, and to put said pedestrians on the right “path” in life….

IanW
    Free Member

Smile and say hello, what does it matter if their walking,cycling or whatever.

Jamie
    Free Member

Also, wave a machete around.

For legal reasons, machete does not mean penis.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

just stop in front of them and wait for them to move…

if they don’t move then just start scratching your privates in front of them, or something else they don’t want their kids to see.

DT78
    Free Member

Well if you think that’s bad, today, on the QECP designated mountainbiking trail I came round a corner, at speed, to a scattering group of toddlers, screaming women and astoundingly a bloke holding his 2 year old, with it’s pants round it’s ankles, having a pee…. in the middle, yes middle, of the track between a couple of large tabletops.

They have the entire rest of the country park, and decide to have a pee in the middle of the very obvious jumps on a marked bike track?

Didn’t say anything was too stunned by the stupidity

RustySpanner

Treat them exactly the same as you would treat a cyclist on a footpath. 😀

kaesae
    Free Member

DT78 that’s mental.

I would find it hard not to feel guilty about hitting a small child, stupid adults are fair game though 😀

KennySenior
    Free Member

Why don’t you just let your helper sort it out?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Pedestrians with children blocking cycle lanes, best course of action?’ is closed to new replies.